Lillywhite pointwork

I thought I had got trackwork painting and weathering off to a fine art, but what's all this about? Exeter. Has the Captain been put on fatigues with the whitewash again? I've heard of whitewashing coal but this is something new to me. Brian.

post-5773-0-20191900-1304675430_thumb.jpg

I think it is to reduce solar gain and therefore heat expansion in pieces of track where this is a particular problem. It may also be part of an effort to focus maintenance attention on critical assets - I believe a few points have been painted gold in the past for this reason.

Edwin M got the nail on the head. You will also see white painted rails on level crossings for much the same reason. There is a pair of switched diamonds at knottingley that are painted white to reduce heat expansion.

I thought painted rails at level crossings was to protect the rails from corrosion? I have installed painted rails in tunnels for same reason.

Painted or more recently Alphatek coated rails through level crossings, and in tunnels to reduce corrosion.

White painted switches as this reduces the rail temperature by 3 or 4 degrees C, so delaying the onset of problems caused by the thermal expansion of the rail.

See P-Way details prototype gallery for close up photos of Alphatek coated rail.

Is the white coating for non-stressed S&C only?

No it is probably more common in strengthened layouts, as there are no joints to take up the expansion so the metal moves towards the free end of the switches instead.

Also there are not that many unstrengthened layouts left in main lines these days, and it is on main lines where access is difficult and the delays caused by problems are greatest. That dodges like this that stave off potential problems are most worthwhile. The problem is that the movement of the switch tips affects the S&T detection equipment, this is worst on switch diamonds, so they are often the first layout to get a coat of white paint.

• RMweb Gold

That dodges like this that stave off potential problems are most worthwhile.

Horses mouth confirmation that this is for heat mitigation purposes. It has been described to me as being worth 6 or 7 degrees centigrade in terms of reducing the effect of hot weather. The paint is sprayed on under pressure during a possession.

Archived