Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

CCT axlebox alignment

I have some Four Most (a.b.s) axleboxes and Romford bearings for my Hornby CCT vans. I plan to scracthbuild new chassis.

The problem is how do I align the axleboxes properly? They obviously need to be the correct distance apart and parallel to each other. How far apart do I place them to avoid the wheels falling out or being too tight to revolve?

I know there are alignment jigs out there, but they all seem to be too short for the wheelbase involved here.

Any help would be most gratefully received.

What is the wheelbase? The brassmasters jigs I have are quite long.

Otherwise, I'd position one where you want it, square it up with an engineer's square and attach it, then either use a vernier braced against that axle to position the other one or make a jig from plastikard either to slot over the axles like the proprietary ones or fit over the bearings each side.

ISTR John Hayes Coal Wagons book illustrates something like what i have in mind.

For standard 26 mm axles the inside faces of the W-irons should be 24mm apart for Romford pin point bearings. This sets cast (and plastic) axleguards too far apart (they're intended for etched brass) and it may be desirable to recess the bearings into the back of the w-irons if these are used. I've found etched irons to be a bit too springy in some cases, allowing the wheelsets to drop out, and a fillet of solder might help .

Archived