RTC Loco's

The RTC loco's are ex-revenue loco's, therefore it is unlikely they worked anything other than infrastructure or test trains. Certainly during the era of 97201, much of its time was spent hauling the adhesion test train with 97403 Ixion. There were some loco's in the 97xxx number range during the 1980's which were pretty much used for infrastructure, namely the class 40's 97405-8. Several class 45's became class 97/4's at the end of their careers - 97410/1/2/3.

• RMweb Premium

The Class 47's that were renumbered into the 97xxx series for a while did very occasionally managed to haul revenue earning and infrastructure trains from time to time, probably the reason why most of them were fairly swiftly renumbered back again.

There were some loco's in the 97xxx number range during the 1980's which were pretty much used for infrastructure, namely the class 40's 97405-8. Several class 45's became class 97/4's at the end of their careers - 97410/1/2/3.

I recall seeing one of the Peaks bowling through Durham with cement wagons, and I'm pretty sure the ex-40s were occasionally used on Speedlink trips. I'd be very doubtful if the RTC locos were used like that though, particularly as most of them were obsolete types that could cause all sorts of problems if let too far off the leash

Archived