container trains

hello all

now scalescenes have just released the container kits ive implemented an idea for a container train - now then ive got the wagons (the old Hornby ones that were blue and had freightliner limited beige and red containers) and ive downloaded the container kits - my plan at the moment is:

paint the wagons black and drybrush with silver/brown to represent scratches/rust - give the bogies a bit of paint too

replace the horrible plastic wheels with 2.6 diameter 3 hole disc wheels (halfway with this one)

build 3 40ft containers and 6 20ft containers from the kit

- motive power will be a bachman 57 :)

anyway back to the point - does anybody know of detailing kits/parts or tips that i could possible add to this project?

many thanks - Ash

Sounds like you're fitting the wrong wheels. Freightliner wagons had small 2' 8" dia. wheelsets, about 10.7mm with disc brake pads fitted so no visible holes. You will need to add buffing/drawgear to the outer wagons (as built they were 5-car sets, two outers and three inners, but varied in later years). All the trussing should be see-through, both from above and from the side and each wagon has hand-brake wheels. The bogies are reasonably correct Ridemaster, though there were other similar Ridecontrol types fitted to many builds.

Always nice to look at the real thing if you want some inspiration:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FFA-FGA-Freightliner-flats/

These were in use up till circa 2005, the blue is actually correct on most of them even at that late date but most are so filthy it's hard to tell!

As Bernard says you need to add bufferbeams to the ends of the sets, by the late stage they were running with 57s then 2s, 3s, 4s and 5s I think are all fair game. The Hornby ones ride a bit high on the bogies but that's harder to fix without major surgery as IIRC the bogies are riveted in?

• RMweb Gold

The Hornby ones ride a bit high on the bogies but that's harder to fix without major surgery as IIRC the bogies are riveted in?

Yes, it's a sod to remove the bogies. You then have to remove some height from the bolster, again tricky as it needs to be done very precisely if the wagon isn't going to lean to one side. I got quite a lot of way into doing the S-kits detailing project on two 5-wagon rakes, but the pain/gain equation is quite discouraging. In the end you'll have freightliner flats that ride lower, and have some extra details, but they still won't have the open trussing so characteristic of the originals. Might still be worth doing if you tend to look down at your models, rather than side on?

hiya yes the bogies are riveted in - and they dont look like there going to come out with something getting broken - im not too fussed about the wheels or ride heights etc.. i think im aiming for a nice looking model, i think im just after things like a tail lamp, tail buffers and brake wheels on the sides - nothing hardcore just trying to create a train from my youth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

i'd like to see one too

I've got some part completed, 1 day i will finish them!

The s-kits method for bogie removal is to get a drill bit (5mm i think, been a while since i did that step) and gently 'drill' the top or bottom of the rivet with it to take the edge off then the bogies slip out. Part of the s-kits pack is replacement fixings for putting the bogies back on and leave a smooth upper surface to the wagon.

I've got some part completed, 1 day i will finish them!

The s-kits method for bogie removal is to get a drill bit (5mm i think, been a while since i did that step) and gently 'drill' the top or bottom of the rivet with it to take the edge off then the bogies slip out. Part of the s-kits pack is replacement fixings for putting the bogies back on and leave a smooth upper surface to the wagon.

can you post a picture?

Ta

Which bit would you like to see? I think I may have added some pictures on another thread but can't remember what of.

how it goes together and what it looks like finished, or part finished, just help me decide if i will bother attempting one with my shaky hands.

Ta

how it goes together and what it looks like finished, or part finished, just help me decide if i will bother attempting one with my shaky hands.

Ta

Generally updates and pictures are here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/68790-5-related-00-gauge-90s-wagon-projects-ffafga-fsa-fla-containers-and-pja-4s/

And unfortunately this is fairly up to date as i've been a bit slack recently!

Archived