Caerphilly Castle

Mr Brunel

Hello,

I recently visited the Steam museum which has thrown up a couple of questions -

1. When did 4073 Caerphilly Castle last steam? I assume it was somewhere around 1960, but can't find

anything more specific than that.

2. Is there a chance it could be repainted, as the present coat is now looking a bit worn (it's fading, and the red primer shows through in

certain areas)? I thought there might be something preventing this such as practicalities - I assume the paint is

not the original 1960 coat.

Hello,

2. Is there a chance it could be repainted, as the present coat is now looking a bit worn (it's fading, and the red primer shows through in

certain areas)? I thought there might be something preventing this such as practicalities - I assume the paint is

not the original 1960 coat.

95% chance this is the 1960 paint.

Guest 838rapid

As I under stand the loco carries the paintwork from the final overhaul before transfer to the Science Museum in London.

There is a rumour that as the building which held the loco was constructed around the loco,a girder fell on top of the loco and they had to send staff from Swindon Works there to repair the damage to the cladding.

Surely the history of this loco is the fact that its one of the final few wich carries a original paint job.

The deans goods thats also there was painted in places by a odd job man,and carries the incorrect shade of red on its front buffer beam and some of the inside of the motion.

I also recently visited steam,and noticed with dismay that the NRM have slapped ownership badges on all the loco's.

It really spoils the loco's

• RMweb Gold

As I under stand the loco carries the paintwork from the final overhaul before transfer to the Science Museum in London.

There is a rumour that as the building which held the loco was constructed around the loco,a girder fell on top of the loco and they had to send staff from Swindon Works there to repair the damage to the cladding.

I have a memory of Caerphilly Castle in the Science Museum, with part of the boiler cladding in primer. I can't say whether this was at the time of its original installation, or during one of the gallery rearrangements, when areas of the gallery were inaccessible, but visible.

Dave

Archived