NCE Power Cab

I have been playing with my new controller, NCE power cab which I have been very pleased with. I still have my Lenz Compact, will I be able to plug it into NCE's cab bus and use it as an additional cab? Obviously I will have to set the locks back to 2 digit address. I also see that the USB adapter they offer is ok with JMRI but will it work with withrottle and an I-pad? Just working out what stuff I can use with it.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the Lenz Compact with the NCE system.

Put the Compact on eBay, or sell it on RMweb and the proceeds of a sale can go towards an additional ProCab throttle.

WiThrottle works with JMRI, so as long as your DCC system is supported by JMRI, then WiThrottle will work with it.

Note: WiThrottle on an iThing (Pod, Phone, Pad) or Android device requires the PC to be on and JMRI running. You can't use it without the computer and software running.

I thought Lenz and NCE had a compatibility arrangement? Thanx for the info on the PC interface, it might be better to simply get a sprogII instead of the NCE USB board then? My son will use the Lenz on his shelf railway. The lack of loco net on NCE is it's one failing, am I correct in thinking it's cab bus uses a different protocol?

Pretty much every maker uses their own protocols for interconnection of throttles, so stuff won't in general interconnect. And even when there is claimed compatibility it needs checking.

The NCE USB adaptor will let you use most of the JMRI features that a Sprog can access, but you will need your NCE kit to be around at the same time. I think the NCE USB is slightly cheaper than a Sprog as well. There is a JMRI page under "hardware" which outlines the limitations of the NCE USB adaptor, they are complex based on how the adaptor is used. For most users who are programming a few locomotives via a PowerCab will never hit those limits.

The Sprog won't let you use WiThrottle applications to your NCE kit. (A sprog can run a layout on its own, but that makes your NCE kit redundant).

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel, the NCE is now letting me use all the features of the CT chip you recommended for my 45xx, with consequent running improvements. Will look at the suggested jmri pages. Power cab is for driving on the layout, Sprog seems simpler for the test track as it saves moving NCE power panel about. I think the incompatibility of throttles is a big trick missed by dcc manufacturers. Handsets are a very personal thing, with different people liking different layouts and the ability to move your favourite cab from your layout to friends or clubs would be a real boon.

Having done more reading I was wondering if NCE supports asymetric DCC, as I have lenz and CT chips at present and was looking at what chip to buy for the other locos. I am not looking at full automation, just thinking about future possibilities.

Assymetric DCC is a feature of Decoders, not Command Stations, so you can use it if you have Decoders which support Assymetric braking.

These decoders have it (may be more!)

• Lenz Silver and Gold models. Includes some Lenz-unique advanced features such as intermediate stops (requires expensive Lenz trackside unit) and auto-reversing shuttle train. But, has Lenz' absolutely rubbish implementation of constant braking distance. Lenz needs to learn how to do constant braking from Zimo !
  • ESU LokPilot models (most recent types). I think the latest v4.0 LokSounds may have it as well.
  • Zimo (all types). Superb constant braking distance - stops loco accurate to under 1 sleeper every time for me.
  • CT. Only on the SL sound decoders, not on the tiny DCX74/75 loco decoders.

I wrote up my experiments with Assymetric control some years ago:

http://nigelcliffe.blogspot.com/2009/06/abc-stoppingslowing.html

Since then, I've found a few more details of how the Lenz BM2 works, and how to start to design ones own. Most of this via the Zimo group on Yahoo!

- Nigel

Nigel, if I may add to and clarify your list above.

In addition to the Lenz and Zimo decoders mentioned......

ESU LokPilot V4.0

ESU LokPilot V4.0 DCC

ESU LokPilot Micro V4.0

ESU LokSound V4.0,

ESU LokSound DCC

ESU LokSound Micro V4.0

(n.b. Earlier ESU decoders don't have ABC capability)

CT, all sound decoders except the SL51-2

CT DCX51-P12 (their first non-sound PluX fitted decoder)

Kuehn N45 & T65 ranges (5 decoders in total)

Hornby Sapphire R8245

Archived