Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

I do like that last one- I've never seen a buffer-beam bent like that before..

That's what happen when you have a snatch.  Usually the coupling fails first.  Usually down to "inappropriate use of power and brake".  If you are braking a long train and then apply power before the brakes have fully released, the resultant snatch can break the train in two.

That's what happen when you have a snatch.  Usually the coupling fails first.  Usually down to "inappropriate use of power and brake".  If you are braking a long train and then apply power before the brakes have fully released, the resultant snatch can break the train in two.

I thought that might have been what happened, though in the cases we've had (both Polybulks, I think), the coupling or its hook failed first.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

I thought that might have been what happened, though in the cases we've had (both Polybulks, I think), the coupling or its hook failed first.

That seems to be the case with modern vehicles Brian -  if it's a screw coupling it won't take the strain of really heavy loads behind it (i'm talking of trains with trailing loads of 4,000tons plus in this connection) and the hooks can break due to fatigue c racking but I don't think that is very common.

In 'the old days' it tended to be the drawbar or headstock which went first with it normally being the headstock on wagons with wooden underframes according to some of my past staff with experience of such vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of wagons loaded at Betteshanger in Kent.  They 'tripped' to Dover Town Yard then later on worked over to Cricklewood.  I think that Orgreave Coking Plant was the eventual destination.

I worked the train from Dover Town on a few occasions.  A common occurance was a hotbox on the plain bearings.  I remember detaching at Tonbridge, Maidstone East, Swanley and Hither Green.   There was a hot box detector as the train approached Tonbridge so they were detected and alerted to the box at Tonbridge before the flames were visible.

These pictures and two wagons detatched for that reason.  First MCV B266280, 8 block clasp brakes and empty/load device.

post-2484-0-03864700-1398266970_thumb.jpg

Then MXV B596094 (The MXVs were originally MCVs but 're-branded' to indicate the different types of brakework) 4 block pusher brakes

post-2484-0-02179200-1398266986_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here are a couple of wagons loaded at Betteshanger in Kent.  They 'tripped' to Dover Town Yard then later on worked over to Cricklewood.  I think that Orgreave Coking Plant was the eventual destination.

I worked the train from Dover Town on a few occasions.  A common occurance was a hotbox on the plain bearings.  I remember detaching at Tonbridge, Maidstone East, Swanley and Hither Green.   There was a hot box detector as the train approached Tonbridge so they were detected and alerted to the box at Tonbridge before the flames were visible.

These pictures and two wagons detatched for that reason.  First MCV B266280, 8 block clasp brakes and empty/load device.

attachicon.gifMCV B266280 Tonbridge West Yard.jpg

Then MXV B596094 (The MXVs were originally MCVs but 're-branded' to indicate the different types of brakework) 4 block pusher brakes

attachicon.gifMXV B596094 Tonbridge West Yard.jpg

Were all these setting-downs on one trip, Ernie? That's on a par with the early Transfesa Ford train, which left Spain with 42 wagons, and arrived at Dolland's Moor with less than 20 (three of which had to be detached becuse someone at Frethun omitted to release the handbrakes...)

attachicon.gifMXV B596094 Tonbridge West Yard.jpg

This is one of the 394 wagons of lot 3863 built at Horwich in 1975 copying Tri-ang and Hornby by putting a new body on a 10ft wheelbase, 17ft 6in over headstocks frame recovered from scrapped wagons. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

Paul

• Like 1

This is one of the 394 wagons of lot 3863 built at Horwich in 1975 copying Tri-ang and Hornby by putting a new body on a 10ft wheelbase, 17ft 6in over headstocks frame recovered from scrapped wagons. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

Paul

Paul,

Well spotted.  Here is a 'normal' one from the 1990's at Grantham when rebranded as a ZHV - B573934

post-2484-0-22372700-1398335210_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold