RMweb

16t minerals

• RMweb Premium

One thing these images show (and there are some cracking Ladykiller ones earlier in this thread that Michael posted that show some colour and weathering to good effect), is how the 'London Trader' doors are differentiated from the body side. It's one of those things that bug me when I see the RTR versions on layouts.... all the outside detail is there, but the opposite side is a flat wall.

Cheers

Jan

Quite agree; I (usually remember to!) scribe the door outlines inside my Bachmann ones, using a Plastikard jig:

post-31-0-02679400-1415616116_thumb.jpg

The long side goes to to the bottom with the left hand corner against the left hand corner of the wagon.  Scribe round two sides of the outline of the side door.  Slide the jig across so that the right hand corner is in the right hand corner of the wagon, and scribe round two sides of the top flap.  Turn the jig inside out and do the same for the remaining side of each door, then repeat on the other side of the wagon.  I don't think I've got a jig for the end door top but usually just cut one from a piece of scrap 40 thou lying on the bench.  Here's a couple I did earlier - factory weathered ones as it happens, although I have painted the insides!

post-31-0-25386100-1415616357_thumb.jpg

Not worked out a way of representing the insides of the pressed steel side doors yet!

• Like 9

Shows a feature I've never been able to replicate successfully, the bowed out sides, very noticable under telephoto lens.

Mike.

It would be quite difficult to do, given the thickness of the model sides. I have had some success in puttting bulges in the centre of panels, however, by belting them with the warmed, rounded, end of a ball-pein hammer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice Roadstone wagons Porcy...some one should make a model of them...

Some one should post some progress pics of the rather tasty scratch built jobbies he's been on with for the past ?? years...

Iirc the road stone wagon is on the to do list from Cambrian.

That s 2 funnies because it's a bit of an "in" joke.

Porcy

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

The slope sided mineral has one spoked wheel axle and one 3 hole. Wonder how many times that has been depicted in a model of one?

Jason

I have two mineral wagons like that..just keep forgetting to swap them round!

Baz

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice, It is a pity they are in black/white. The LMS 13tonner appears to have been completely resheeted - and the wood unpainted, which is correct until after 1958. The metalwork appears to be a very consistent colour but appears to be too dark to be in BR freight grey. Could it have rusted so consistently?

Paul