Thinking Inside The Box II

I enclose the semi-final pictures of the McKenzie & Holland Signal Box I was asked to make. It's about 95% done and just needs a little bit more toning down of the roof and a little weathering of the cabin and locking room.

post-123-0-26470400-1305065268_thumb.jpg

I am quite pleased with the "dog leg" steps (my solution to a set of steps that were just a fraction too short). I have seen such steps for various signalboxs, all i clienti have to do is find a plausible reason for the dog-leg

post-123-0-24727400-1305065289_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-99757900-1305065433_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-63516000-1305065449_thumb.jpg

The lighting is very faint indeed, even running on 12V DC and slightly more yellow than I would wish, still if the layout of i clienti is exhibited in a low lighting situation, then it would be passable

post-123-0-22643200-1305065583_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-33919300-1305065599_thumb.jpg

These pictures were taken on my iPhone (the only photo camera type thing I had to hand) so colour balance ain't great, nor is quality - but I hope that it gives a flavour of the signal box.

As usual, comments... etc., etc.

F

'i clienti' seem to be up earlier than the rest of the fan club ....

There can be dangers in having signal box interiors that are too brightly lit. I saw one at a show a couple of months ago where it could be seen all too clearly that the location of the stove did not match the location of the chimney! As others who know about these things will no doubt be happy to confirm, a typical mechanical box was not the most brightly lit of workplaces and mains electricity was not always available. The photos suggest to me that 'il buildero maestroso' has captured the effect perfectly!

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Nice :pleasantry:

As Chris said cabins weren't very bright until more recent times, Port Sunlight Sidings was gas lit until the 1980s, and we had to light early so the mantle would heat up enough to give light when it became dark.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely delicious - i clienti have every right to be well-pleased. You could put a carbuncle/cabinet/toolbox on the end wall under the steps, next to the locking-room door, requiring the change to the design of the steps, perhaps?

• RMweb Gold

'i clienti' seem to be up earlier than the rest of the fan club ....

There can be dangers in having signal box interiors that are too brightly lit. I saw one at a show a couple of months ago where it could be seen all too clearly that the location of the stove did not match the location of the chimney! As others who know about these things will no doubt be happy to confirm, a typical mechanical box was not the most brightly lit of workplaces and mains electricity was not always available. The photos suggest to me that 'il buildero maestroso' has captured the effect perfectly!

Chris

I agree with you absolutely Chris - it looks delectable, the lighting effect is spot on because even with electric light very often only the light over the TRB would be turned on if it was possible to leave the main lights off, or no electric and Tilley lights were in use (the GWR used a special version of Tilley Lamp in its 'boxes). And those finials are acecool.gif

Well done Flavio - a smashing job.

Archived