Odd looking photo. What do you think?

I earlier stated the photo would not be a Valentine PC one.......

Looking through CC Greens North Wales Branch Line Album (Ian Allen, 1983) the photo in the OP is credited to 'J.Valentine'.

The 'main' line as mentioned earlier was 1:27 and here's the gradient board, now in the NRM, photo taken couple of days ago.

As far as I remember the trains were always pushed up the branch, with the engines pointing up the branch too (so the water always covered the backhead). There was a run round, but presumably for shunting into the goods yard, the head shunt was very short - I don't have the drawings now, as stated before they are with the Welsh Railways Research Circle. There is a photo of two Brake Vans allocated to the branch, the later LNWR 20ton type, I seem to recall both were used together.

I'm sure all the working arrangements are in the LMS Sectional Appendix to the Working Time Tables (WTT) for North Wales, I couldn't find anything in the 1931 General Appendix to the WTT's. I only have the LNWR and LMS South Wales Sectional Appendixes.

On my layout, we replicated the 1:27 grade and it was steep, to hold wagons in the loop we had wire that came up through the track to 'engage' the wagon axles. It was not the most exciting layout to operate sad.gif

What photo's I took, were pre digital, so would need to be scanned.

Penlan

post-6979-12596818938744_thumb.jpg

post-6979-12596818951974_thumb.jpg

Archived