New model shop in Bolton

Jenny Emily

I also stumbled across this shop a couple of weeks ago whilst visiting my in-laws. Picked up a secondhand Bachmann Class 24 in excellent condition, he had a reasonable selection of secondhand stock at reasonable prices so will pop in again whilst visiting the dreaded in-laws! Worth a visit.

Astley Bridge Models is the one, I popped in on Friday to see what was in and the owner explained he will be expanding the range of items for sale in the next few weeks once he has completed the storage and display areas.

Cheers Paul

I've just been back and picked up some glue and a Dapol canopy kit. Prices seem all right, and he told me that he plans to start stocking Bachmann, Peco, Ratio and others over the next few weeks as he gets himself set up.

How dangerous is it to have a model shop within seven minutes' walk from your front door? Moreover; a model shop next door to the supermarket I visit twice weekly anyway, and over the road from the local branch of my bank...

I have just stumbled upon a new model shop in Bolton. It's been open a month, and is by the Asda at Astley Bridge. There wasn't a huge amount of stock, but there was Airfix, Hornby and Dapol products and some secondhand.

Hi Jenny thanks for the info, do you have any opening times or days they are closed, and a phone number if possible, I will be visiting my family in Bury this week so I suppose I WILL have to pop in.

Regards

Craig.

I've just been back and picked up some glue and a Dapol canopy kit. Prices seem all right, and he told me that he plans to start stocking Bachmann, Peco, Ratio and others over the next few weeks as he gets himself set up.

How dangerous is it to have a model shop within seven minutes' walk from your front door? Moreover; a model shop next door to the supermarket I visit twice weekly anyway, and over the road from the local branch of my bank...

O/T I'm afraid, but I need to ask Jenny whether she's doing a straight build of said Dapol canopy, or a kitbash?

I picked one up a few days ago with the latter in mind, just casting around for ideas was all :P

Hi Jenny thanks for the info, do you have any opening times or days they are closed, and a phone number if possible, I will be visiting my family in Bury this week so I suppose I WILL have to pop in.

I will try and get them next time I'm up there, but I'm moving house at the moment so don't have a lot of time.

O/T I'm afraid, but I need to ask Jenny whether she's doing a straight build of said Dapol canopy, or a kitbash?

I picked one up a few days ago with the latter in mind, just casting around for ideas was all :P

I just wanted to see what they were like in the flesh, when built, and how adaptable they were. My plan is to use around ten of them kitbashed to form the canopy over one of the island platforms of a forthcoming layout I have planned which is very much in the future as I have yet to move into the house where the extension needs to be built to give me the room that it will go into.

they are really quite good given the age of the kit's origins. It certainly would be a simple task to combine multiple kits together in various configurations.

• 1 month later...

I've been back and checked opening times: 9:00am - 6:00pm every day except Wednesdays and Sundays. No signs of additional ranges stocked; it appears that the proprietor is being messed around by certain manufacturers who don't seem keen to support new model shops if there is already another model shop in the same town, bizarrely.

I've been back and checked opening times: 9:00am - 6:00pm every day except Wednesdays and Sundays. No signs of additional ranges stocked; it appears that the proprietor is being messed around by certain manufacturers who don't seem keen to support new model shops if there is already another model shop in the same town, bizarrely.

Sometimes manufacturers' logic defies belief. I know of one trader who has a permanent shop in an arcade that has the word "Market" in the title. PECO won't sell to him because they don't sell to market traders! The next nearest shop is over 40 miles away.....

Richard

• 9 months later...

I am sorry to report that it would appear that Astley Bridge Models has now closed. I have been past a couple of times recently and noticed the shutters were down and part of the signage has been removed and the property is now up for let.

Paul

There's a model shop in Daisy Hill, Westhoughton, Bolton too..! Found it by chance yesterday! It opened a few weeks ago according to the guy who runs it. Some good stuff, and although he didn't have what I wanted (a ZVEZDA KV-2) he has ordered it for me after a small deposit! The name on the flyer I picked up is: MJR Models & Hobbies, 11 Hindley Road, Daisy Hill, Westhoughton, Bolton BL5 2JU: Tel: 01942 386790: website: www.mjrmodelsandhobbies.co.uk. The email address is mike@mjrmodelsandhobbies.co.uk

Hope this helps somebody out.. Jon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Jon, it's not too far away from me in Wigan, I'll have to try to visit soon.

Looking on the map, it is a little bit off the beaten track, I don't think many people would have found it if you hadn't mentioned it (unless they happened to be in Daisy Hill!)

Regards

Paul

Is it just me but do you guys stumble around a lot in Bolton?

I stumbled a fair bit in Shenfield in my youth but only managed to knock over a pair of "Keep Left" bollards.

I hate it when any model shop closes - Bolton probably has more, now, than central London does, which is insane when you think about it...

Best, Pete.

It would seem so.. but only in the best possible manner..

It is 'off the beaten track' I must agree, but, well worth a visit in my opinion..

also.. just had a text from the owner to say my kit will be here Monday!

Take care everyone..

Jon

Archived