Is this a GWR K15 (non corridor) passenger brake van?

I have the same etch in 4mm that used to be sold via Tony Hammond.

The roof is tricky to get the arc just right.

There is a privately produced 4mm etch about that contains five pairs of K15 etc sides based on later rebuilds with panelled over sections of the body.

I haven't seen it myself yet but have been promised a couple of pairs in the near future.

I'll post a pic when/if it arrives

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks all- There is the beginning of a solution here somewhere. Kris, are the N wheel sets back on the 2mm SA website?

Rich, is the K15 etch still in production?

I have no idea. When I purchased these (I was in my last job so it is more than 5 years since) I was offered the rights to the photo tools because Alistair Wright was looking to sell the business and already had someone interested in the 4mm tools. I couldn't have (and didn't really want to) find the money that was asked for for the 5 2mm phototools because I was fairly certain that I would never see a return so I bought what I needed from the remaining stock and had a sheet or so run for some others. This is how come I had a number of E140/5 (I eventually decided I didn't want any) and C23/5 spare. I only have two of the 40' van so no spares. Sorry.

Could further copies of this etch be produced from the ones you have?

No. Aside from that there are copyright issues.

I have just spoken to the guy that I sourced them from and he has none in stock. The tool is still in existence and we could get some made. The minimum number of kits will be somewhere in the region of a half dozen, and the cost would have to be confirmed but is likely to be in the region of £15 each kit plus onwards postage for that quantity, perhaps decreasing with significant quantity.

Let's get a batch done then, anyone who might be interested put down here, remember these are 2 mm scale! How much for the tooling?

I am interested in this, though I am also following up the other possibilities (Blacksmith and Worsley Works). I would probably only want one, possibly two.

I have already been in contact with Alistair Wright, who seems to be interested in going ahead, subject to there being a sufficiently large order. The relevant part of his response was:

"I would need a minimum order to get them, and it is so long ago since they were last ordered I would need to check with the etcher exactly how many kit sets are on each tool. For small quantities the price is likely to be fairly high as the transport cost for single sheets is the same as for larger quantities. Can you advise what sort of numbers you have in mind please?"

I have replied that I will attempt to collect together a worthwhile order, if there is sufficient interest. How many are you likely to want (subject to price being acceptable)?

David

An interesting thead here, one I've been following with interest; and subject to the usual caveats (reasonable price/timescales/etc) I'd certainly be interested in one of these. I accept that it probably falls a little outside of my specific requirements - but it does have the potential to look very nice - and I could almost justify it on the grounds of 'odd' old stock being repressed into service...:rolleyes:

Allen Doherty at Worsley Works has indicated a price of about £11-£12 for K14 without steel panelling (reduced from 3mm). I assume K15/K16 would be similar, but the versions with steel panelling would cost a little more, probably about £13-£15, based on the 3mm prices. Haven't asked about timescale yet.

David

This is my part built blacksmith etch. Someone already said that this was K2/3, but I thought that it was a K4 :?

As far as I can see, based on Russell's Great Western Coaches Part One, it appears to be K3 rather than K4.

Unfortunately no details for K2.

K3 had small square windows in the ends, K4 didn't.

K4 had double doors nearer to the ends - 4 panels between double doors and ends, rather then 6 for K3.

The K4 drawing is without duckets, as is the accompanying photograph. However the drawing is dated 1920 and it seems likely there would have been duckets in earlier periods.

Bogies : K3 had 8 ft 6 in, K4 had 6 ft 4 in.

K1 was similar to K3, but without droplights in the double doors, had 7 ft bogies, and was convertible (initially built for 7 ft gauge).

David

As far as I can see, based on Russell's Great Western Coaches Part One, it appears to be K3 rather than K4.

Unfortunately no details for K2.

K3 had small square windows in the ends, K4 didn't.

K4 had double doors nearer to the ends - 4 panels between double doors and ends, rather then 6 for K3.

The K4 drawing is without duckets, as is the accompanying photograph. However the drawing is dated 1920 and it seems likely there would have been duckets in earlier periods.

Bogies : K3 had 8 ft 6 in, K4 had 6 ft 4 in.

K1 was similar to K3, but without droplights in the double doors, had 7 ft bogies, and was convertible (initially built for 7 ft gauge).

David

According to Tatlow, NPCS the duckets were removed from various diagrams 1920ish to make parcels vans. Having reconsidered it looks like K2 to me. Lot 382 was a bit taller in the top panel, which the model seems to have. On that basis it should have 6'4" bogies, which sounds right in my memory.

There is a privately produced 4mm etch about that contains five pairs of K15 etc sides based on later rebuilds with panelled over sections of the body.

I haven't seen it myself yet but have been promised a couple of pairs in the near future.

4mm Etches just been dropped off today. Pleasant surprise to find it was not five pairs of sides but three complete body kits.

Package comprises three K15/K29 body etches have been produced of vehicles 228, 246,1097 as appeared in the 1930's onwards with replaced panels and doors etc.They come with 7 pages of instructions, history and images of the actual vehicles.

I am told they have been drawn up on a CAD system. If the 2mm modellers are interested and the order is bid enough, I can enquire if a 2mm run is possible.

Mike Wiltshire

post-9992-0-27055900-1309275131_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-02687000-1309275274_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-09650400-1309275324_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I should put my spare K22 PBV etches up. I don't need them all. I'm sure I have a whole bunch of stuff that could belong to a more loving home (i.e. someone who will build them), I am in a process of sorting through all the boxes of stuff I've stashed and putting aside anything else to go up along with them. I'm all out of B-set etches now but I'm sure Chris Higgs had some of these run and didn't sell them all on.

K14 in 2mm is now available from Worsley Works - http://www.worsleywo...led_Coaches.htm

Cost is £10, plus £1-80 P&P.

Will probably be "Scratch Aid" rather than a full kit - floor, sides and ends only.

David

So you also need solebars, footboards, headstocks, truss rods, battery boxes...

Then there is the problem of bogies. At least these are the later vans andt here is probably a stock of 8'6" coach bogie stretchers somewhere to help you along. I've had my own 6'4" bogies etched for the part assembled body picture earlier..

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't know who did those Blacksmith etches. If it was Fred (the Black of Blacksmith formerly Mallard) he was not a GWR man being a GER enthusiast and therefore was reliant on the information from others. I don't remember Fred drawing any 2mm but the could have been reduced down.

I have a K14 in 0 they make nice vehicles.

Don

Archived