Breakwater Diesel

Nice work.

What motor and gearbox did you use? And what buffers (I've not found any oval buffers that I like the look of yet).

I shall be starting one of these fairly soon, unsure whether to do 01002 or finish it in early livery.

Thankyou. I used a Branchlines 39:1 Multibox, but had to do some gear alterations. The final Spur gear diameter was as large, or perhaps bigger, than the 7 spoke wheel diameter, and protruded through the floor, causing rail fouling problems; especially over points. Getting a gearbox with sufficiently small spur gear diameter for the smaller wheeled shunters, seems to be a problem. Would be interested to hear if there is anything suitable on the market, as I'm doing an 05 at the moment.

Afraid I don't have a layout at the moment; my old one Swandham Lane has been dismantled due to house renovation and the website which featured it was a Photopic one, which have now all gone.

For similar locos in the future it might be worth looking at High level kits' gearboxes - all sorts of shapes and combinations, many of which have been designed with applications like this in mind.

• RMweb Premium

Our instructions don't refer to Branchlines Multibox, these have a final gear of slightly over 13mm diameter. The one we suggest is plain 39:1 gearbox, final gear in this one is 10.25mm diameter, well within wheel size.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Archived