West Booley is on "hold" - Doing "Canter Packaging"

shortliner

West Booley really didn't do what I wanted - just too simple - and it would be thoroughly boring at a two day exhibition,:yes: so I'm now working on a variation of one of Jack Hills ideas - in 103" x 10.5" - Overpass Bridge at right hand end, line behind trees at left hand end, no fiddleyards - just lots of switching around. - front (viewing side) is where photos are taken from - operations will (probably) be from rear

post-6688-0-50381800-1305473432_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-02833800-1305473459_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-02866200-1305473489_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-19853700-1305473511_thumb.jpg

Please excuse the mess - we've had to empty the loft so man could come and add extra insulation to reduce Carbon Footprint - never refuse kind offers from government - they rarely give you something, instead of taking it!!!

Guest jonte

Jack

Sorry to hear of West Booley's early demise but glad you've discovered something more appealing and challenging. I look forward to seeing it come to fruition.

Incidentally, may I ask about your method of basesboard construction, in particular, the cross bearers beneath; is this for fixing to the trestles?

Also like the look of the little switcher; what make is it and how does it perform?

Best wishes,

Jonte

Yes - basically the original chipboard surface of the Bond Knitting Machine tables warped, and anything placed on them rocked alarmingly, so I stripped them down and made two quick frames for the "149th Street" layout to rest on last year. This baseboard is simply a pair of boards, with an MDF piece set into the centre, then glued and clamped until set, and then bolted together and placed on top of them, (not attached though it may well be clamped to them for exhibition :blush: )- leg height is adjustable so the whole thing can be levelled. The boards were rescued from an earlier project that crashed! :huh: :(

The loco is a Lifelike SW1200 in Florida East Coast livery that I found cheap on Ebay, and runs fine - bought it because it was something different :)

Guest jonte

Yes - basically the original chipboard surface of the Bond Knitting Machine tables warped, and anything placed on them rocked alarmingly, so I stripped them down and made two quick frames for the "149th Street" layout to rest on last year. This baseboard is simply a pair of boards, with an MDF piece set into the centre, then glued and clamped until set, and then bolted together and placed on top of them, (not attached though it may well be clamped to them for exhibition :blush: )- leg height is adjustable so the whole thing can be levelled. The boards were rescued from an earlier project that crashed! :huh: :(

The loco is a Lifelike SW1200 in Florida East Coast livery that I found cheap on Ebay, and runs fine - bought it because it was something different :)

Glad to see nothing's wasted, Jack. As with all recycling, it requires a tad of ingenuity to make it all work again, but looks like you were well and truly up to the challenge!!

Sounds like you picked up a bargain as well in the little loco; I'll look them up on the 'net.

Thanks again for the photo of the CF7 - really like the look of them.

Jonte

Hi Jack,

I really like the look of this, and no doubt there will be plenty of Mitsubishi Fuso Canters too :rolleyes:

As for recycling, I'm still using the same timber frames a friend built for me over 10 years ago!

I simply lift off the MDF tops and start again.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

regards,

Mal

Looks great Jack, escpecially the way the headshunt curves. Apart from pleasing appearance I imagine it probably gains a vital extra inch or 2 of length...? As I mentioned in another topic a few days ago I love Jack Hill's approach of having the exit at the spur end because it keeps the loco in full view while it's switching rather than it disappearing into a fiddle yard area. If I could extend by another 4ft board I think I'd also haved followed Mr Hill, but in his preferred O Scale... ;)

Rigged the wiring after lunch, and did a try-out with a bog standard Bachmann DC controller and the FEC loco which hasn't yet been run in - on the slowest setting it took 3:06 to go from one end to the other without stalling on the dead frogs - that'll do for me!. Then spent an enjoyable half hour re-spotting some cars around the layout

Decided to replace the dead-frogs with live-frog turnouts - they came today - took about 20 minutes to replace, and then spent some fun-time switching cars around - happy to report that all works very nicely with no "lurch and hop" through the turnouts, or stuttering - still using the Bachmann controller :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

First building (naked and in the raw) - scratched from things like correx sign - from Scottish elections 4 years ago!, Plastruct angle, Evergreen sheet offcuts, and B&Q plastic extrusion, with starch tank from an old pill bottle ( as an aside should it have a pipe going into the top??). Painting will wait till the other buildings are completed.

post-6688-0-51307800-1307026010_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-04214200-1307026035_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-86541700-1307026057_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-65776000-1307026076_thumb.jpg

Guest jonte

First building (naked and in the raw) - scratched from things like correx sign - from Scottish elections 4 years ago!, Plastruct angle, Evergreen sheet offcuts, and B&Q plastic extrusion, with starch tank from an old pill bottle ( as an aside should it have a pipe going into the top??). Painting will wait till the other buildings are completed.

post-6688-0-51307800-1307026010_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-04214200-1307026035_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-86541700-1307026057_thumb.jpg

post-6688-0-65776000-1307026076_thumb.jpg

Bags of character from so few parts; the correx is certainly effective, Jack. I think you could probably get away with just a tad of weathering. No paint required :D

Best wishes,

Jonte

Thanks, Jonte.

Here are the two latest trucks - which have had new sides added to go with the packaging plant - they are from a HongKong firm called "We Honest" (They are- and service is excellent! I have bought from them previously and can recommend them) via Ebay. Yes wheels need changing - I await arrival of those!

post-6688-0-50484700-1307091457_thumb.jpg

... they are from a HongKong firm called "We Honest" (They are- and service is excellent! I have bought from them previously and can recommend them) via Ebay.

I've seen them on Ebay... I did wonder if they are trying to overcome certain stereotypes!!... :rolleyes: :laugh:

Archived