3 pretty ladies

shortliner

Is it usual for U.S, locos to only have a single tone horn?

I thought it is a requirement for both tones of the horn to be working before a loco/unit

enters service in this country, making it more audible to people with hearing problems.

cheers

I thought it is a requirement for both tones of the horn to be working before a loco/unit

enters service in this country, making it more audible to people with hearing problems.

cheers

It's not a single tone, they are actually playing a chord of at least 3 tones. Sound quality is not great on that video.

Best, Pete.

As Pete said, it is a multi-tone horn, but the tones are concurrent so you don't get a distinct tone change. There are particular combinations of horn blasts that have particular meanings - the most common being long-long-short-long for a level crossing, timed so that the last long happens as the loco enters the level crossing.

Adrian

That makes up for all those nasty track videos you guys love to post. 8-)

The difference between a class 1 mainline and a shortline.

S'right. The NS double-track mainline near me (old LeHigh Valley route) has the best, most well maintained trackage I've seen anywhere in the World.

Best, Pete.

Ooh, yeah!

I think the prettiest is the Mopac Heritage unit - even seen in NJ..........'course I now can't find any decent pics of it.

Best, Pete.

Here you go, Pete - http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=121519&nseq=52 The title of the video said the chase was at 70mph - did anyone notice the speed sign at about 15 seconds into the video - Max Speed 55mph ? :rolleyes:

The title of the video said the chase was at 70mph - did anyone notice the speed sign at about 15 seconds into the video - Max Speed 55mph ? :rolleyes:

Speed limit signs over here are strictly a suggestion :lol:

And I'm sorry, I love the daylight steam engine, but I think they did a horrendous job trying to update it on that diesel. The other two look fine, but yikes, my 6 year old draws the daylight better than that...

That makes up for all those nasty track videos you guys love to post. 8-)

The difference between a class 1 mainline and a shortline.

:rolleyes: I must admit, it is a nice change to see something Highballing at a good pace, instead of creeping along for fear of grounding...

Trouble is, on this side of the Pond most of us only have space to model the creeping along scene... :cry:

Speed limit signs over here are strictly a suggestion :lol:

...but only in some jurisdictions/areas. The trick is knowing which ones...

Adrian

Yes, indeed. We were seriously warned about driving over the limits at all in Louisiana with out-of-state plates.

If you trail alongside the BNSF Mainline in Arizona from Flagstaff thru to the New Mexico border (via Winslow) you can track them at a legal 70mph on Interstate 40. I can recommend this trip. It's double track, double stack all the way!

Thanks pH, that's the one.....................

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

The horns are on top of the units, about midway, (above the Rio Grande lettering on one). It looks like 3 bells to me -- 2 to the cab, one the other way.

North American horns have only a single sound. This may range from one note to a chord of 5 notes -- not sure if 7 is possible. It may be possible for a really talented engineer to sound them separately but the standard is to blow them all at the same time -- no Hee Haw patterns.

It's not critical to have a pattern - people will still pick out the frequency to hear best from a chord - which is usually the "root" note. I'm not convinced that the British idea has any effect on the hard of hearing - it may do if there are several octaves between the notes, I suppose.

Personally I love the sound of North American trains - watched too many Hollywood films in my youth, I suppose.

Best, Pete.

When good air horns go bad...

Classic Seaboard Coast Line horn if you disregard the ugly part!

When good horns are great:

The classic - CLASSIC - Southern Railway horn from the SD40s on up. Rare to hear nowadays, and it gives me a chill when I do...

I have a Nathan AirchimeK5H air horn as the "Ring Tone" on my mobile - makes a change from everyone else's music files...!! :rolleyes:

Downloaded it from this website... B)

http://dieselairhorns.com/sounds/RS5TRRO.mp3 - THAT is what the SCL horn should sound like. Rare to hear nowadays...

Oh, and my mobile's ringer? I ripped the first few bars of Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"...which nobody here knows as anything but the them to The Exorcist ... I've seen my phone scare the bejeebers out of some people who were traumatized by that movie when they were kids laugh.gif

Archived