Heljan Pickups

I'm getting problems with the pickups on several of my Heljan OO loco's. After a period of use, especially with tight curves, the pickups are no longer touching the wheels at the outer limits of their lateral travel. Removing the wheels and bending out the pickups solves it for a while but not permanently.

It seems to me that the brass is very soft and sort of anneals itself and has little spring to it!

I would like to try un-annealing/ hardening the brass using a gas cooker and plunge into cold water as per taught during O Level metalwork many many years ago. But I have forgotten the niceties.

Could some one please advise me how to go about this with brass? I seem to remember something about getting it to the right colour before dousing it?

Thanks in anticipation.

I'm getting problems with the pickups on several of my Heljan OO loco's. .....It seems to me that the brass is very soft and sort of anneals itself and has little spring to it!....

Heljan pickups are phosphor bronze, I thought? The ones on mine are. They are very bendy, which is probably why they lose contact so easily. The previous post with alternative pickups looks like a good one.

Heljan pickups are phosphor bronze, I thought? The ones on mine are. They are very bendy, which is probably why they lose contact so easily. The previous post with alternative pickups looks like a good one.

Thanks all.

Yep. I think I'll replace them as suggested.

From the picture, are the end of those pressing on the tread of the wheel? and if so, don't they squeal?

You'd think that having the contacts press against a part of the wheel flange that isn't in contact with the track would be better, no? The other side of the flange would be less likely to pick up dirt, but hey, if it works...

Archived