Waverley Route Group News Feed....

'CHARD

Guest tony graham

Well to maximise profit, I suggest you keep awfully quiet about remaining availability and the forthcoming reprint, then simply drip- feed copies onto e-bay. It's all for a good cause after all, buying Tony, Dave and the boys more pink granite to play with. Alan Sugar would be proud.....

Pink to make the boys wink......

Riccarton Junction - Just a few lines is now available in Adobe E-book format via the WRHA webshop at http://wrha.org.uk/the-association/merchandise/ for the introductory price of just £4 .... this will be reviewed and more than likely increase in the near future, so get yours now!

Please click on the Paypal Add to Cart button and once your order has been received & processed you should have an email with your e-book in under 24 hours.

If you don't have a Paypal account you can pay by credit or debit card once you are at the "checkout".

• 3 weeks later...

First Trains on the Waverley Route for over 40years.

The Border Union Railway in conjunction with the Waverley Route Heritage Association will be running a series of events this summer at their base at Whitrope Summit.

The season starts on Friday 6th April with the re-opening of the Heritage Centre itself and the opportunities available will include 'driver experience' trips over part of the historic Waverley Line on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th April, conducted by an experienced driver these 'driver experience' opportunities will be available to all aged over 18 years old.

To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the original opening of the line in 1862 the company will be running the first trains on the line in over 40years every weekend from Saturday 30th June. Further details of events to commemorate this 150th anniversary will be made coser to the time.

To celebrate the 150th anniversary of the original opening of the line in 1862 the company will be running the first trains on the line in over 40years every weekend from Saturday 30th June. Further details of events to commemorate this 150th anniversary will be made coser to the time.

Newcastleton P.Way have squirelled away some out-of-date detonators to properly mark the event with. Everything still hinges on some hard graft on site, a fair wind and a good deal of luck. All help, physical and financial, is welcome as always.

The Waverley Route never actually closed, its just subject to a heavily overrunning track renewal. Now, where's my tamper?

Guest tony graham

Newcastleton P.Way have squirelled away some out-of-date detonators to properly mark the event with. Everything still hinges on some hard graft on site, a fair wind and a good deal of luck. All help, physical and financial, is welcome as always.

The Waverley Route never actually closed, its just subject to a heavily overrunning track renewal. Now, where's my tamper?

I shall be there as much as I can but I'm afraid I won't make this weekend for personal reasons.

Great blog mate, and a very good summary of this issue of MR. The Strathmore Three-Hour Expresses was the counterpart to the Waverley feature for me, so although I'm biased I really think Ben and the team excelled with this ScR issue in terms of balance, general interest and Scottish layouts amid the regular features.

EDIT: Check out Greslet's blog, this is a Waverlite of repute!

Chard, been meaning to say thanks for this for ages...... but anyway there is a blog update on latest layout progress posted today

Kevin

Guest Max Stafford

Some fascinating snippets there. I didn't realise NCL were still using the station years after closure. He wasn't too kindly about Carlisle back then mind. He'd probably flip if he saw it now! :mosking:

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Just uploaded a Youtube clip from "Nairn Across Britain", vintage 1972 TV footage. Features Carlisle, Longtown, Riccarton Jct, Hawick & Edinburgh. Nice shots inside a forlorn looking Longtown 'box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fRPnMx5Vlo

Absolute beaut.

Started off a wee bit Ron Knight, i.e. wanting the sound off but it kinda builds on you.

The guy actually has very valid, if somewhat subjective, points to make and I believe makes them well.

I hadn't previously been aware of this program so must congratulate you on an excellent find and post.

Still want a swatch at your archive and a rattle on the engine but there we go.

That'll be a Waverley based archive and Tractor before anyone starts getting other ideas, Okay!

He wasn't too kindly about Carlisle back then mind. He'd probably flip if he saw it now!

Especially on a Saturday night......

It's an interesting bit of footage, but Mr. Nairn doesn't exactly have a cheerful disposition, bless him.

The Waverley Route never actually shut, its just under a T3 possession of considerable duration

• RMweb Gold

It's an interesting bit of footage, but Mr. Nairn doesn't exactly have a cheerful disposition, bless him.

The Waverley Route never actually shut, its just under a T3 possession of considerable duration

No, quite right.

Who would you recommend instead though, Brian Blessed or Ming?

Guest tony graham

That's why the wife and I don't go to town for a drink. And were 'Natives'

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally we got our MkII buffet car from Ruddington this afternoon. It arrived in Newcastleton about 1400hrs to be greeted by an enthusiastic gathering of residents, visitors and photographers. It was duly installed cortesy of Iain Mac at Whitrope where it will, for now reside. Sorry I didn't give members advanced notice but it was all a bit rushed, MEA CULPA.

roygraham

Guest Max Stafford

Well I've been up for a cheeky look this evening, Roy and rather magnificent the coach looks perched up there overlooking the glen. In the second photo we see the last vehicle in the re-born 1S64 heading northwards!

Dave.

post-6676-0-61441200-1334607534.jpg

post-6676-0-87765100-1334607546.jpg

Guest tony graham

Heres one for you gents, I couldnt wait for our Max Stafford to upload it......

Sithy.jpg

Time for STI's

A sight not seen for over 40 years, a view down the glen from bridge 200!

A sight not seen for over 40 years, a view down the glen from bridge 200!

A superb view all right, having had the pleasure of seeing it from that very seat at the weekend! It's a smashing coach too: a wee touch of luxury and in fantastic condition. I'm looking forward to seeing sights like this slipping past the window while I enjoy a cup of tea (and slice of cake??) from the buffet. All that's needed is a hard working loco up front.....

The potential for this heritage railway has to be enormous.

Guest tony graham

A superb view all right, having had the pleasure of seeing it from that very seat at the weekend! It's a smashing coach too: a wee touch of luxury and in fantastic condition. I'm looking forward to seeing sights like this slipping past the window while I enjoy a cup of tea (and slice of cake??) from the buffet. All that's needed is a hard working loco up front.....

The potential for this heritage railway has to be enormous.

Best get some trolley dollies hired then :haha:

Archived