Waverley Route Group News Feed....

'CHARD

• 4 weeks later...

TRANSPORT SCOTLAND - PRESS RELEASE

September 29, 2011

WAY CLEAR FOR BORDERS RAILWAY

Significant savings for the public purse expected

The Borders Railway is to be delivered by Network Rail in a new rail industry partnership aimed at achieving best value for money, Transport Minister Keith Brown announced today.

Building on the success of the recently completed Airdrie to Bathgate rail improvements, Transport Scotland will work together with Network Rail to deliver the project which brings rail services back to the Borders and Midlothian for the first time in over 40 years.

The move comes as Transport Scotland has had to cancel the original procurement competition for the project following the withdrawal of two of the three bidders.

Keith Brown said:

“I am pleased to announce this new route forward for the Borders Railway project which will return a long-awaited public transport link to communities who lost it over four decades ago.

“We continue to be steadfastly committed to this vital scheme and we are actively managing and making prudent decisions to ensure efficient delivery as quickly as possible.

“Despite early enthusiasm from bidders, it is disappointing that two consortia dropped out for their own commercial reasons. Following the withdrawal of IMCD from the procurement in the summer, we said we would consider our options to find the right way forward to deliver the project for the best value in the shortest possible time. Today’s announcement concludes that process.”

“Network Rail has confirmed it is pleased to be asked to take this project forward and I am confident it is able to deliver the project within budget and with significant ongoing savings to the public purse. I am pleased to have the opportunity to build on the success of the Airdrie to Bathgate project which also featured a partnership between Transport Scotland and Network Rail.”

The capital cost of the project is expected to be within the £235m-295m range. Ministers remain committed to the target project delivery date of December 2014.Transport Scotland will now work with Network Rail to deliver the project and its benefits for the local communities and businesses in the Borders.

Mr Brown added:

“We have amply demonstrated our ongoing commitment to the project with the investment of £60m already, which has secured the necessary land for the scheme and progressed a programme of ancillary works which is nearing completion.

“The new line will be a catalyst for encouraging approximately £40 million of benefits for the wider Scottish economy as well as increased business development and housing opportunities, inward investment and public sector relocation for the local community.

“In the shorter term, approximately 200 ­ 400 jobs will be created during the period of construction, yet another example of the Scottish Government doing everything it can for the hard-pressed construction industry.”

It is expected that Network Rail will use its supply chain to offer the construction industry the chance to bid for building the line.

Paul Plummer, group strategy director, Network Rail said: “Having successfully completed the Airdrie-Bathgate rail link project on time and to budget, we welcome this opportunity to work with the Scottish Government towards the delivery of another important piece of new railway infrastructure in Scotland.”

Notes to Editors

1. Borders Railway will be a catalyst for encouraging approximately £40 million (2002 prices) of benefits for the wider Scottish economy as well as increased business development and housing opportunities, inward investment and public sector relocation for the local community.. It will reduce the amount of carbon dioxide emissions by 435,000 tonnes (over a 60 year period), and reduce the reliance on the car, in turn helping to reduce congestion. The project is expected to reduce the number of road accidents on the A7 and A68 by approximately 10 accidents every year period.

2. Transport Scotland is the Scottish Government’s national transport agency responsible for; aviation, bus, freight and taxi policy; coordinating the National Transport Strategy for Scotland; ferries, ports and harbours; impartial travel services; liaising with regional transport partnerships, including monitoring of funding; local roads policy; major public transport projects; national concessionary travel schemes; rail and trunk road networks; sustainable transport, road safety and accessibility; the Blue Badge Scheme. Transport Scotland is an Executive agency accountable to Scottish Ministers. Our website is www.transportscotland.gov.uk

3. For further information please call Transport Scotland Communications on 0141 272 7195.

Oh now this is hugely significant. Not least in terms of certain people dusting-off their CVs :sungum:

After Airdrie - Bathgate I think this will breathe a wee bit more confidence into the cynics amongst us....

Finally for now, in a conversation last weekend Bruce reminded me that the Border Counties line was engineered with double tracking in mind. This was in the context of discussion about the rail politik of the 1870s and I've spent a lot of time since thinking about how a different historic course could've panned out for the line. We're also blessed on RMWeb with several modellers of the Border Counties, so my next task this morning is to launch a Border Counties Railway sub thread in the Group.

It's critical to understand the role of J.F.Tone in all this. Friend of Hodgson he was also Chief Engineer of the Blythe and Tyne, the Wansbeck Railway, the Border Counties and reporting civil engineer on the construction of the Border Union. About 1860 he became the owner of Plashetts Colliery. Subsequently Hodgson altered the plans of the Border Counties to try to gain access to Newcastle via the Blythe and Tyne. However the NB gained running rights over the Newcastle and Carlisle so Reedsmouth Junction was remodelled to what we are familiar with and the Wansbeck was left to its fate.

roygraham

• 3 weeks later...

I have just heard the sad news that Roger Siviter passed away last Friday.

His book "Waverley:Portrait of a famous route" was one of the inspirations when we established the Waverley Route Heritage Association. When I next get home from work I'll have a flick through it on the WRHA 10th anniversary evening (10/11/11) and have a wee dram in his memory.

RIP.

Guest Max Stafford

Seconded. Roger's book was a similar influence on me. I too will toast the man's memory when I finish my shift on Thursday.

Incidentally whilst purging the attic in preparation for Ruberslaw's groundwork, I've just found my old CBR newsletters from 10 -11 years ago!

Dave.

He was local-ish to me - Bromsgrove at least. This has come as a terrible shock - a fringe MNA legend to boot. :angel:

I'm for adding his name to the list of well-deserved 'ought-to-have-been' loco namings that we will surely bring to bear.

R.I.P Roger, and huge respect for your belief in keeping the WR flame alive when the rest of humanity had consigned it to the dustbin.

I have just heard the sad news that Roger Siviter passed away last Friday.

His book "Waverley:Portrait of a famous route" was one of the inspirations when we established the Waverley Route Heritage Association. When I next get home from work I'll have a flick through it on the WRHA 10th anniversary evening (10/11/11) and have a wee dram in his memory.

RIP.

Sad news indeed. "Waverley:Portrait of a famous Route" was the book that first opened my eyes to the unique nature of the Waverley Route many years ago. It is one that has pride of place on my bookshelf and I frequently look at.

People like Roger Siviter (and Colin Walker of GC fame) and their inspirational books are the reason why the memory of these famous routes live on.

Roy

For anyone that visits the WRHA website please note the drop of the "www."

The new link is simply http://wrha.org.uk

Anyone visiting the site now may see a few changes in place. The old site with the "www." will be heading off to the wild blue yonder in the next few hours. The new one is, surprisingly, the 5th incarnation/design of the site in 10 years!

QR code here for anyone with a scanner:

post-7852-0-46932800-1319255040.gif

For anyone that visits the WRHA website please note the drop of the "www."

The new link is simply http://wrha.org.uk

Anyone visiting the site now may see a few changes in place. The old site with the "www." will be heading off to the wild blue yonder in the next few hours. The new one is, surprisingly, the 5th incarnation/design of the site in 10 years!

QR code here for anyone with a scanner:

post-7852-0-46932800-1319255040.gif

The new website looks really good Matt - now saved as a favourite.

Is there any plan to add the project pages that you had on the previous site? (Or have I missed them? Could be I'm not awake yet!).

I am particularly keen to follow the progress of signal box project for some reason:)

Regards

Roy

I hope to get all the old pages onto there in the near future, plus some of the ones we alway wanted see, ie. full set of branch lines with more gen than before, locomotives that worked the line, photo archive etc .... had one or two glitches with site/files/folders/links on it today but have logged a few support requests with those who know about these things.

Cheers Tony ... not sure it's so well publicised in Carlisle itself, though we do have a few members around the Citadel city.

I'll see about getting some posters/flyers made and get a few to you, as we could always use them further north as well.

- A D V E R T I S E M E N T NNNNNN F E A T U R E -

Today's news headline here in the Waverley Route Group, is a new sub-topic dedicated to the loco sheds that supplied the route.

The Waverley Route's Cathedrals of Power

It can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

As the depots, like stations, 'boxes, crossings, branches etc each have their own distinct characters, folklore, legends, customs and a wealth of researchable resource, I have decided to create them their own space for soft play. :sungum:

• 2 weeks later...

For the historians amongst us, I've just added two brand new pages to the WRHA website. These feature contemporary reports, letters, newspaper clippings etc from the days before the southern section of the line was built, what would eventually become known as the Border Union Railway.

http://wrha.org.uk/the-waverley-route/history/early-correspondence-rivalry/

http://wrha.org.uk/the-waverley-route/history/the-border-railway-bills/

No photos, just pure historical Waverley Route indulgence.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived