Waverley Route Group News Feed....

'CHARD

• 2 months later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but a search didn't find mention. Also not sure if this is the right thread as well!

At Liddesdale Heritage Centre, Newcastleton: Waverley Line 150th Anniversary exhibition. 31st March to October 28th, 13.30 to 14.30. Closed on Tuesdays.

Any reports?

Cheers,

26power

Bounce!

With three, at least, contributors to this group local to the Holm, I am confident the exhibition has been explored in detail. I'd be grateful also for any insights regarding what esoterica is on display for the general public...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bounce!

With three, at least, contributors to this group local to the Holm, I am confident the exhibition has been explored in detail. I'd be grateful also for any insights regarding what esoterica is on display for the general public...

Sorry its took a while to get back to you on this.

It is well worth a visit and I would think the majority of items will still be on display next year.

I helped set it up and the WRHA kindly allowed use of some of our photographic archive, this inturn allowing full access to the Heritage Centres for the WRHA and membership.

They have a lot of larger exhibits, seats, lamps and such like but I think the real interest would lye in the Kershopefoot and Holm signal registers.

The Kershope one shows the Clayton crossing through the road and then standing in section on the LC to allow the Night Midland through thus preventing any further disruption to progress on the morning of 06.01.69.

I'll take you along next time you're up and I know the chairman so can get access during the off season.

Mac.

As it's the WRHA AGM on Sunday I was wondering who on here is planning to attend? I'm travelling up straight off a night shift!

It will be good to catch up with a few old friends and hopefully meet a few newer faces and like minded souls. Also hoping to sample for the first time some of the local Scottish Borders Brewery ales in the public houses of Denholm!

Guest tony graham

As it's the WRHA AGM on Sunday I was wondering who on here is planning to attend? I'm travelling up straight off a night shift!

It will be good to catch up with a few old friends and hopefully meet a few newer faces and like minded souls. Also hoping to sample for the first time some of the local Scottish Borders Brewery ales in the public houses of Denholm!

I'll be there, driving up from Carlisle. May go early and go via the Holm and Whitrope.

Mac, how are you going to get there or would you like a lift? Same goes for you Dave, if so Mac I will pick you up at just before 1pm, but let me know please.

Guest Max Stafford

Be even better if you were there in person mate but we'll see you in January anyway. Tony promises not to have the 'Tex Ritters' this time! ;-)

Hi,

See you there.

Roy

Apologies but Newcastleton P.Way won't be attending, having the misfortune of being senior on-call (or rostered "Person To Blame") for track renewals on the Eastern Region as was. The relayers are out playing at Alnmouth (Wooden Gates S&C) and Ulgham Grange near Morpeth, so I believe the opportunities are there to enjoy the Tyne Valley on an HST if that's what revvs your engine.

Lots of big yellow inspiration kicking about for anybody who fancies modelling a Babcock worksite. Has anyone ever done a portaloo in OO?

Newcastleton P.Way is modelling the Waverley Route in 1:1 scale with PROPER flexi-track

Likewise, I'm unable to attend ... looking out over the North Sea isn't exactly my idea of fun but it's what pays the bills.

For those who have offered apologies for absence, these have been passed on to the chair for inclusion in the minutes.

Just arrived home from an enjoyable trip up to the AGM at Denholm with my Dad. It was great to be able to put faces to names of some of the folks from this forum and have a wee blether afterwards. Also good to catch up with some old friends most notably former Waverley Route p-way man Bill Blake who despite his advancing years made the effort to come across. Drove home via Whitrope with some glorious sunshine breaking through the dark stormy skies, very typical weather for the route. Half expected to see a V2 on a mixed goods storming up the bank from Shankend in the golden light! I must also add that The Scottish Borders Brewery ales in the public houses of Denholm were just the ticket for a tired railwayman coming off a week of night shifts.

Andy.

Guest tony graham

Just arrived home from an enjoyable trip up to the AGM at Denholm with my Dad. It was great to be able to put faces to names of some of the folks from this forum and have a wee blether afterwards. Also good to catch up with some old friends most notably former Waverley Route p-way man Bill Blake who despite his advancing years made the effort to come across. Drove home via Whitrope with some glorious sunshine breaking through the dark stormy skies, very typical weather for the route. Half expected to see a V2 on a mixed goods storming up the bank from Shankend in the golden light! I must also add that The Scottish Borders Brewery ales in the public houses of Denholm were just the ticket for a tired railwayman coming off a week of night shifts.

Andy.

Likewise Andy, Great to meet you.

I will have to try the ales next time when I'm not in charge of the new motor.

• 2 months later...

Merry Christmas to all!

It may have been a Christmas Day in 1960s, but the usual Edinburgh to Hawick trains ran.

Hardengreen on Wednesday 25 December 1963 with the 10.15 Edinburgh to Hawick working - photo courtesy of Rae Montgomery.

post-5524-0-37275200-1356430272_thumb.jpg

and, again courtesy of Rae, another Christmas Day shot at Borthwickbank of 80113 light engine, in 1962;.

post-5524-0-04352300-1356430606_thumb.jpg

Bruce

The only entries in the signalbox register involve loco 1576 belled (UP line) 3-1-1 at 0233 "To down yard". Then at 0252 (DOWN line) it's belled 2-3 to Galashiels. (remarks column LE (??) x0315)

And then loco 41 belled 1-3-1 arrives on the Up line at 0530 (remarks column x0400) and transferred "To Down Main" then 41 is belled 2-2-1 on the Down line to Galashiels and enters section at 0548; train out of section received at 0617 (remarks column 0400). I guess this would be the train with the papers.

I hope that helps - it's not easy transcribing!

Bruce

That's decent transcribing, Bruce!

Looks as though 1576 and 41 were kicked out of Waverley and Millerhill on the 0315 Mails and 0400 mixed train to Hawick, respectively.  I'm never sure if the 0400 originated at Waverley and picked up traffic at Millerhill enroute.

41 would under normal circumstances have taken the first Hawick - Waverley of the day, I think, whereas 1576 would have continued through to Carlisle.  Appears that both returned to Edinburgh in darkness on this occasion.

I'm so used to total network closedown on Christmas Day, the idea of these high calibre light engine movements adds a real sense of quality and depth to the workings of the Waverley 'system,' even in its final fortnight.

I reckon D41 was BFYE, as seen here a couple of months later, at Derby: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/5765831781/?q=peak%20d41

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"To mark the 50th anniversary of these momentous changes, we've commissioned a work by artist filmmaker Esther Johnson which provides a close-up of one of these local stories: the Waverley line, which ran between Carlisle and Edinburgh."

http://www.nrm.org.uk/PlanaVisit/Events/artgallery_beeching.aspx

EDIT: Shameless bounce by me.

Also BBC 2 Scotland are doing "something" certainly "it will be broadcast on Landward on Friday 12th April (7pm BBC2) and then be available via the iPlayer for a week after broadcast" to quote an assistant producer. I suspect this isn't networked over the Border.

In a follow-up phone-call, she said that there was so much that the Waverley Route feature would be split over two programmes. I'm not privy to the content - all they wanted were photographs!

Bruce

Also BBC 2 Scotland are doing "something" certainly "it will be broadcast on Landward on Friday 12th April (7pm BBC2) and then be available via the iPlayer for a week after broadcast" to quote an assistant producer. I suspect this isn't networked over the Border.

In a follow-up phone-call, she said that there was so much that the Waverley Route feature would be split over two programmes. I'm not privy to the content - all they wanted were photographs!

Bruce

Sky 970 for anyone with Murdoch's facility who is south of the Border.

I watched last night's which featured the Strathspey line heavily and mention was made of next week's programme featuring the Waverley Route.

Archived