Black Fives back at Georgmas

Ben Alder

Thought that this might get a few hearts stirring- two Black Fives at Georgmas Junction on the recent GBIV- the first visit of these once everyday engines to this part of the world since 1962, and a most welcome sight it was too; beautiful weather and plenty room to savour and photograph the engines.

The first picture was taken the previous night as they prepared to bed down in the goods yard, and the other two are hauling the train.

post-2642-0-18276200-1305837563_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-11698600-1305837588_thumb.jpg

post-2642-0-15484700-1305837613_thumb.jpg

Gorgeous. Particularly the first shot, without the headboard.

They didn't come down the Stranraer line this year sadly, but I've recently been reliving their visit last year with my (and my family's) photos. Having never experienced 'real, live' steam, let alone a pair of such fine machines laying into the climb up over Chirmorie... incredible stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Gorgeous. Particularly the first shot, without the headboard.

Having never experienced 'real, live' steam, let alone a pair of such fine machines laying into the climb up over Chirmorie... incredible stuff.

They were going like stink again later in the week when they headed the same train from Carnforth to Chester - I reckoned that they were well up to their permitted maximum (or perhaps a little more) as they were wound up to tackle the 1 in 94 of Ripley bank - a truly awesome thirty seconds there!

• 5 months later...

Archived