Route and point setting software

newport_rod

We’ve have operated our layouts (e.g. Hazlehurst) for a few years now with SSI (with Lenz equipment) but find it a bit cumbersome and rather unreliable. So we’re looking to see what alternative PC software there might be around.

This is what we want:

• Display panel showing track layout, turnouts and signals and their positions.
  • Allow manual operation of turnouts and signals.
  • Record and execute a sequence of route settings (setting both turnouts and signals) while still allowing for manual operation.
  • Operate with Windows.

We don’t require automated operation or any train operation.

Nice-to-have: Interlocking.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Rod

Oops - I meant Turnout and Signal setting in the title!

Thanks to everybody for their responses so far. Interesting that no one has leapt to the defence of of SSI!.

We've done some initial trials with JMRI/PanelPro and the signs are encouraging so far. I'll update as we learn more.

Regards

Rod

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everybody for their responses so far. Interesting that no one has leapt to the defence of of SSI!.

We've done some initial trials with JMRI/PanelPro and the signs are encouraging so far. I'll update as we learn more.

Regards

Rod

RailRoad is (or at least was, the competitors may have caught up) far better if you want it to be realistic, the panel on Widnes implements more or less everything the prototype would for the same aituation, it works as an NX panel. I can tell you more if you are interested.

RailRoad is (or at least was, the competitors may have caught up) far better if you want it to be realistic, the panel on Widnes implements more or less everything the prototype would for the same aituation, it works as an NX panel. I can tell you more if you are interested.

That sounds interesting Dave and I remember the signal in the MRJ. It obviously replicates modern signalling styles. How would it be for a semaphore signalled layout ca 1955 - I'm thinking of our forthcoming Little Mill layout?

Regards

Rod

• RMweb Gold

That sounds interesting Dave and I remember the signal in the MRJ. It obviously replicates modern signalling styles. How would it be for a semaphore signalled layout ca 1955 - I'm thinking of our forthcoming Little Mill layout?

Regards

Rod

It can implement all the interlocking without a problem, I have used point symbols on end to simulate levers, basic but it works, it would be possible to draw some slightly better ones if you are good at pictures, I did a little demo for John Brighton's Millhouses (for him) which copied the prototype locking, easy peasy.

The limits with JMRI are the skill attention to detail of the panel builder. In the right hands it can be very accurate; eg Orwell St John's with entry-exit operation, etc..

I'm sure there are several products which can achieve decent signal/turnout panels.

- Nigel

Archived