USA Railroading

Matador

I have lived in the USA since 83 (Prescott Valley AZ), and have worked in the Model Railroad industry for most of that time . If I can be of any help with Prototype or Model questions, I would be happy to try and answer any questions that would help you with your Modelling.

I cannot help with finding Models, kits or parts.

David

A Brit in the USA..

Great!

Another Brit here in the vicinity of Gotham City (New York).

My interests are:

1. local shortlines

2. CSX and NS

3. Street running

4. Trackwork

Amongst others...........

Best, Pete.

This brit's still in England, based in Devon ;)

Mainly modelling various US prototypes (although i do a bit of British too) at various points from the 70s to the present, I like too much stuff to list really but there's a reasonably consistent midwestern theme to my interests (excepting the BN Alco fetish...) - a glance across to the stock shelf shows everything from modern BNSF and CN to the Rock Island, via the Illinois Terminal and Wisconsin Central...there's just too much cool stuff...:rolleyes:

Part of a crew that runs RS Tower, a 'roundy' show layout, and also works in Freemo style modules compatible with that layout.

(Plug time: Come and see us at Exeter show with a *BIG* setup the first weekend of June, long trains, switching, classification yard, ops, waybills, radios, yadda yadda yadda.. - my own module will be at TVNAM the weekend afterwards ./Plug time)

The layout interests help with my multi era addiction, we're 1980s/90s at Exeter but will be 'Modern' at TVNAM for example so I get to play with different stuff! ;)

I seem to be sorting my USA collection into distinct decades and geographical locations. So far I have 1930s,1950s and 1980s(BRC/IHB/Conrail)Chicago; 1950s, 1970s and 1990s Alabama; and am slowly collecting stuff for 1990s/2000s Mississippi/Louisiana (KCS/IC/Midsouth)

My name is Jon and I'm a layout-oholic :cry: :drinks:

Jon

My expertise ( :pleasantry:? ) lies north of the border in Canada or to be more accurate, southern Ontario with particular affection for the TH&B. I do have references for CN & CP steam and 1st generation diesel.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for the invitation to join.

I'm pleased to see the inclusion of things north of the border as I have modelling interests in that part of the world (my Northpoint, Ont. layout).

All too often these things get locked into the good old US of A! Not that I have anything against that, especially with a son, daughter -in-law and grandson living in Michigan!

I was very specific when starting the TVNAM show last year to ensure that the "North American" bit was included for the Canucks. Last year, we even had a South American based layout - maybe I'll need to change it to TVN&SAM in future.... :laugh:

Another brit here in Greater Manchester now modeling North American HO.

I've dabbled with various gauges in 4mm for the english outline & although i still have a keen interest in edwardian england my modeling tastes are moving quickly across the pond. Looking at my collection of locos it ranges from BNSF, Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, CSX, Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific & various others too.

As said already there is way to much cool stuff in the US to model so picking a railroad to model is hard although my first outing is going to be a Chessie System layout based on the Lance Minheim switching layout book.

Simon

Thanks, Simon.

I find that over here that the US Manufacturers have got "Just In Time" down to such a fine art that new releases are often sold out before they even hit the streets - then you have to search really hard to find any stock. Whilst modelers in Europe have to pay though the nose for them at least some stock usually exists........

Does this ring true for everyone?

Best, Pete.

I have been inti US railroads for 2 years since my one and only trip. Its Illinois Central (Gulf) and ilinois shortlines and regionals for me and I have managed to collect a range of stuff broadly from the mid 80s to early 2000s. Strangely I found a lot of items on ebay to start with and very little for the last 12 months. The IC is not a particularly popular road with the major maufacturers which is a shame generally but has saved me going bankrupt - gets to be a bit of an obsession. US modelling has put my GER UK interest to very much 2nd fiddle.

Thanks for the invite to the Group!

I've been modelling US prototype on and off for over 20 years, interspersed with bouts of UK stuff. I currently have 2 US exhibition layouts, both in HO.

My geographical areas mainly focus on North Michigan and Buffalo NY. Main roads of interest are Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic (DSSA) and New York Central, with SP, CN&W, New Haven & Maine Central also getting a look in.

Chronologically, I tend to go for for 1950s and 1960s.

I've been to the US once, when I travelled across the country by train, starting in Boston and finishing in San Francisco. I've been to Canada twice and loved it although for some reason I prefer US railroads. Mind you, a layout based on Vancouver Island has its attractions...

steve

Archived