Early Waverley Route Diesels

Now then, did the Teri - Citadel DMU also set down at Whitrope as required? The fact that it seems to have been predominantly school children detraining here makes me think they travelled back on a service train after the Sub was suspended from the Class 4. Or did they, and was it? Did the Sub in fact work back empty from Millerhill any train, and the kids on the cushions of 'the next available' service train? I mean, it wasn't like the return journey was in antisocial hours...

And yes, I've got some proper Airfix '50s school children awaiting primer on the W/B for the Midlem Road school stop. All this stuff does have a model precedent. :yahoo:

I know this is slightly off course as it's neither the DMU nor even a diesel, but it is a photo of the Whitrope Parly Stop in action. This appears in WRHA Journal "The Waverley", Issue 5 from 2004. Photo is copyright Keith Preston / WRHA Archive Collection. If gaining access to see photos like this isn't an advert for joining WRHA, then I don't know what is?!

whit_parly.jpg

I know this is slightly off course as it's neither the DMU nor even a diesel, but it is a photo of the Whitrope Parly Stop in action. This appears in WRHA Journal "The Waverley", Issue 5 from 2004. Photo is copyright Keith Preston / WRHA Archive Collection. If gaining access to see photos like this isn't an advert for joining WRHA, then I don't know what is?!

I said Hey! Dave, where's that membership form you grabbed for me t'other week? :P

As for that photo, it contains sufficient ingredients to make me ILL. A Brit (yes, I am a coming admirer of the breed), a Parly Stop and a WRHA advert. Oh woe is me. Group photo of the week :yahoo:

EDIT: It looks like the local children again. This is a southbound, as per. Was there a parly P/U in the down direction?

RE-EDIT for schoolboy error: this is a northbound - I forgot the line reverse-curves past Whitrope. Doh!

It looks like the local children again. This is a southbound, as per. Was there a parly P/U in the down direction?

This is a northbound (sleeper fence and signal next to bridge 199 gives the game away) but I believe there was one in either direction, and seem to recall seeing a photo of ladies waiting to board complete with empty shopping baskets. Can't remember where I saw it though!

This is a northbound (sleeper fence and signal next to bridge 199 gives the game away) but I believe there was one in either direction, and seem to recall seeing a photo of ladies waiting to board complete with empty shopping baskets. Can't remember where I saw it though!

Forgive that schoolboy error. Blame the symmetry of the summit - reverse curve and all... there would have course been Whitrope Siding had it been a southbound - but the glimpsed chimney pots above the snow fence suggested up-side, nearer Bridge 199. The logic worked in part hey!

Matt, that is the first time I've seen the Down parly. I've seen the Up counterpart relatively frequently now, in video once and perhaps twice more in stills. Three times takes it off the Most Wanted page!

Now, were there ever passenger receipts for the unadvertised stop at Whitrope? Logic tells me there there could not have been. But if these were not railway employees there must have been....

Where's Bernard?

Now, were there ever passenger receipts for the unadvertised stop at Whitrope? Logic tells me there there could not have been. But if these were not railway employees there must have been....

Where's Bernard?

Another question to add to the list.

I have two missing letters to track down first.

I have just about mastered the filing system for LMR Carlisle and now you want scottish material. :yahoo:

Bernard

keep going, team - I'm waiting for someone to reveal what might have been found at the Embra end of the thing on 11 December 1958. I've been settling myself to the view that it would have been all steamy, but I live in hope! As I have little info to offer, I shall just watch quietly until one of you cleverer peeps comes up with the goods.

Guest Max Stafford

I think, Mr M. that by the date in question there would already have been a great deal of diesel naughtiness at the north end, if not specifically Waverley-oriented! The Corstorphine services were certainly in the hands of Gloucester units by then and there will have been others too.

Dave.

I think, Mr M. that by the date in question there would already have been a great deal of diesel naughtiness at the north end, if not specifically Waverley-oriented! The Corstorphine services were certainly in the hands of Gloucester units by then and there will have been others too.

Dave.

That just puts us into that first dawn of DMU days. We are still looking for that elusive photograph of what I reckon to be a Gloucester unit. Also, in case you are not aware, one or two of the local diesel Waverley services started from Corstorphine. Certainly in the 1959 summer timetable. I have not got access to the previous issue.

Bernard

That just puts us into that first dawn of DMU days. We are still looking for that elusive photograph of what I reckon to be a Gloucester unit. Also, in case you are not aware, one or two of the local diesel Waverley services started from Corstorphine. Certainly in the 1959 summer timetable. I have not got access to the previous issue.

Bernard

I recall that somewhere deep in my Lothian/ 64H DMU research there is reference to WR Corstorphine starters, possibly linked to the two/ three Gorebridge peak turnbacks, as late as 1967 (Corstorphine stupidly succumbed to the Closerati as '68 dawned). The classic 100 or 101 twinsets featured IIRC.

At the other end so to keep Dave on his toes, the Harker peak turnback in the 68 W/T/T could only have been a DLW? The same stub that mutated into a DMU vice 2S52 as far as Hawick on SO.

• 5 months later...

Bernard

Well it's not quite what I was looking for, but it's interesting nonetheless:

British Railways - cover of the Edinburgh suburban services timetable - June 1958

Unusual for me to be commenting on diesel matters but " on July 11th 1956, what was claimed to be 'Scotland's first regular diesel service began on the Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh route. The two car diesel multiple unit made its inaugural run on the 7.12 a.m. service and proved to be so successful that British Railways later introduced two extra trains a day to cope with the increased traffic.

From Bill Peacock's "Border Railway Portfolio".

roygraham

Thanks for that Roy, not spotted that one in the book, will take a look when I get back home.

1956 does sound a lot earlier than I'd ever thought though ... I had until now thought class 100 testing had taken place in 1957 with services commencing Jan 1958 and that was the first, but a 1956 unit running sounds like something to delve into the archives for!

:sungum:

• 9 months later...

Unusual for me to be commenting on diesel matters but " on July 11th 1956, what was claimed to be 'Scotland's first regular diesel service began on the Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh route. The two car diesel multiple unit made its inaugural run on the 7.12 a.m. service and proved to be so successful that British Railways later introduced two extra trains a day to cope with the increased traffic.

From Bill Peacock's "Border Railway Portfolio".

roygraham

Looks like Bill got the date slightly wrong .... I have just unearthed a July '56 Railway Observer from the pile in my garage and found reference to the previous month's workings, stating that 79056 & 79272 commenced working over the Peebles loop on Monday 11th June 1956. They had arrived at Leith central on 13th April '56 together with 79055 & 79271 which commenced work on the Crieff branch the same date as the Peebles loop workings.

By 8th August both diesel sets were working on the North Berwick branch.

So ... 11th June '56 .... is that the earliest date yet for any diesel working in the Borders?

This is the two-car set in question, sadly not in the Borders but down at Ipswich in 1971 awaiting the scrapman.

http://www.flickr.co...ckr/5812007746/

5812007746_955c281898_z.jpg

• 2 months later...

I harvested this from the Kirkcaldy thread:

Perhaps of more interest were the trials involving D8208 in 1959……..

The latest diesel to be loaned to Scotland for trials is a B.T.H. Type “1”, No. D8208, which arrived at Polmadie on January 9 and three days later set off for the north on freight for a period of trial from Kittybrewster; it was seen in the place of the usual Haymarket Pacific on the 12.20 a.m. Heaton freight from Aberdeen on January 24. (Trains Illustrated March 1959)

The B.T.H. 800 h.p. diesel-electric locomotive on loan to the Scottish Region, No. D8208, was transferred from Kittybrewster to Thornton at the end of January. (Trains Illustrated April 1959)

It is understood that D8208 headed south over the Waverley Route on a freight on 2nd February, presumably making its way homeward after its recent trials in Fife. (Railway Observer March 1959)

Does anyone know what D8208 did when working from Thornton?

Right, this is a bit of a curveball....

Matt? Bill? Anyone....

I harvested this from the Kirkcaldy thread:

Right, this is a bit of a curveball....

Matt? Bill? Anyone....

That's interesting because Kenneth Gray's list of locos through Hawick doesn't include D8208. I had no idea that it at done any trials in Scotland - at least that was one duff class of diesels that didn't get fobbed off on the Scottish Region!

Bill

I was a bit puzzled as to why D8208 should have been shifted from Scotland to Stratford shed via the WR but, according BRDatabase, it was reallocated from Kittybrewster to Devons Road shed (1D) in early 1959, which explains why it would have gone the usual route from the east of Scotland to the LMR.

Bill

http://www.d8233.org.uk/gallery_others.htm

Evening chaps, been lurking on these Waverley threads for a while, some great stuff if like to add.

I remembered seeing this pic of 8208 in the gallery (half way down ish) but always thought it looks a bit more north of the border, may be of interest to you guys with this latest revelations?

Keep up the good work

James

Archived