Shrinking chimneys

Wandering round the East Midlands trying to take "now and then" shots of photos I took in the early 80s, I was struck by the case of the incredible shrinking chimneys. As one of many, here is Sleaford in 1984 and in 2011:

post-6971-0-78092800-1306168158_thumb.jpg

post-6971-0-68942700-1306168161_thumb.jpg

showing the reduction in height of the fancy main building ones, and alterations to the others.

I suppose the increase in central heating, coupled with more disused station buildings, has led to the gradual deterioration of the chimneys to the point where they have to be amputated.

Interesting detail for dating a building though.

Any thoughts on other features which would suffer the same fate?

Yes, that sort of large-scale rebuilding happens - Derby has had those big concrete platform awnings replaced by much lighter-looking ones for example. However, I was thinking more of the little architectural details that trip up models set in a particular period. Found another example in my "now and then" photos comparing now with 1981-ish: Barnetby East signal box has lost the finials on the ends of its roof ridge, and its name board has moved position.

Just been walking around the rows of terraced houses where I live and seeing different TV aerials, sky dishes (anyone remember the huge ones when sky first came out?) and chimney pots being removed and capped with a bit of cement or replaced by flue pipes from boilers?

slightly less subtle things such as dormer windows or skylights being fitted into the roof, or to make a building very modern day, solar panels on a roof.

Another one struck me today - burglar alarms on houses, which have only really proliferated in the last 10 years or so. Before that, you mostly saw them only on shops and factories/warehouses.

burglar alarms were getting prolific in the late 80's early 90's - people were even selling just the boxes with no alarm system inside as a deterrent

double glazing replacing sash windows

conservatories

old petrol stations being hand car washes.

I've been looking through / studying what photos I have of Bournemouth West, in order to arrive at some sort of Google Sketchup plan / drawing of the buildings.

What's struck me also, is how the skyward extremities of the main building deminished over the years.. Firstly the chimney pots, to be replaced by metal cones, then the small spire, at the far, western, end is truncated, and then the removal of two complete chimneys at the concourse end.

I can only put it down to, as eastwestdivide suggests, the effect of the weather errosion, salt laden sea air, rain, wind etc., and the lack of funds to keep the building in shape. And that's without a mention of the Dr. Beeching affect.

Regards.

Archived