LBSC Weir Feed Pump

• RMweb Premium

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here (if so, apologies, and just ignore me), but the SeMG pics look like what I would call 'Westinghouse' pumps. If so, Alan Gibson [ item 4M602 ] http://www.scalefour...4mmlocofit.html

Wikipedia thinks the Weir pump is somewhat different, complete with handwheels. Maybe that *is* what's on the SeMG photos, but if so they are too small and indistinct for me to see that detail - on *my* screen the pump on the other side in the second photo looks similar. Maybe you could get some handwheels somewhere (I'm sure I've got some, but I forget where I got them) and add them to a Westinghouse pump ?

ĸen

The normal Westinghouse pump is positioned on the offside of the loco, the Weir pump on the K and B4X class was on the nearside firebox, and was larger. I am not sure if they were exactly the same as the Weir pumps fitted on the front of the E2, Pacific and L tanks, a close up of the one on Abergavenny is below.

post-189-0-35866900-1306227617_thumb.jpg

Blacksmith/Mallard do a kit for the K class, and, without checking, I would have expected a casting of the pump to have been provided, so it might be worth contacting them to see if they can supply it separately.

Thanks for the replies.I thought about Blacksmith but their website is seemingly unusable so I'm not sure if they even still make the K class kit.I'll try e-mailing them but don't hold out much hope.As for Branchlines (another one who needs a decent website),the most recent list of theirs I have lists a GWR 97XX pump which directed me towards Russell vol 2,but the pattern seems significantly different to the Brighton ones.(As far as I can make out, the E2 was the same as the K and B4X pattern)

Your photo Nick may give me enough to go on to make one,but the bolt detail looks a bit tricky!

Jamie

This is the casting that came with an ancient Mallard K Class kit - it might not be an exact copy but it is nice and complex, and it might be worthwhile chasing Blacksmith for a spare. (I have only given it a brief clean up - in the enlargement I can see lots of straggly bits I missed.)

post-189-0-33221700-1306266738_thumb.jpg

I have checked other kits, and sadly the Ace ones for both the Atlantic and Baltic tanks have neither Weir nor Westinghouse pumps, neither does the antique Langley Baltic cast kit, although they may have upgraded that one since I bought it in the last century. An old Wills E2 doesn't seem to have anything either, but again, newer ones might now possess one, but looking at the photo I wonder if the ones fitted to the front of tanks were subtly different from those on the Ks.

Thanks Nick

Unfortunately this illustrates my problem,namely that they look different from every angle,also this doesn't look much like the ones in the SEMG photos, which seem more tubular with a cut out in the middle.I've e-mailed Blacksmith but if thats their effort, it doesn't look right to me.

Jamie

The think the type you are looking for can be had from ACE kits if you ask nicely. Seems slightly different to Nick's one. It would appear to be facing towards the cab on the K yet faces forward on the J class. I seem to remember threading new pipework through it but it does the job.

5755786953_03b89f1a10_b.jpg

regards R

There is a drawing in Klaus Marx's book on Lawson Billinton that shows the front view of the pump as intended for one of the large tanks. I have created a crude tracing of it, to scale as below, together with an even sketchier suggestion for the side view of one fitted to a K, developed from the previous view and the small drawings in Maskleyne's book. It is interesting, but unfortunate, that JNM left the Weir pump until last when preparing his K drawing, and failed to complete it!

post-189-0-41603800-1306412788_thumb.jpg

I found a nice clear view of the "normal" type of pump

post-189-0-55658100-1306412877_thumb.jpg

It must be remembered that these pumps, like the Westinghouse ones, were made to the manufacturers' current standards, and their design would slowly evolve over the years, sometimes resulting in noticeable external variations. The Weir pumps were supplied over a ten year period, and, in Mallard's defence, the ones fitted to certain K class locos were considerably different in appearance.

post-189-0-39662700-1306413045_thumb.jpg

And, just to add to the mix, Billinton experimented with the Worthington-Simpson pump, which looks a monster, perhaps it served beer as well!

post-189-0-48472300-1306413128_thumb.jpg

Hi Nick

The drawing is a great help as I will probably end up making one out of scraps.I've actually confused the issue myself by being a bit mis-leading in my initial post.The part is actually needed for an E2 but I didn't have a suitable picture to refer to ,hence linking to the K photos.However it seems that although they are of a similar design, they are mirror images of each other i.e. the E2 has the "gubbins in front of the tube" whereas on the K they are behind it.(I'm sure you know what I mean!).Have sent you a PM

Jamie

• 5 years later...

Archived