Level Crossings of the Waverley Route

'CHARD

Guest Max Stafford

Going from the aspect and the overbridge I'm guessing close to Penton. It's got the feel of Lower Liddesdale.

Some interesting continental-style fastenings on the up line immediately in front of the photographer.

Dave.

That section looks absolutely beautiful as it was intended, rather than as the Doctor and nature intended.

I can't fully explain how pleased I am to be able to picture it as it should look, having examined that stretch pretty thoroughly over the last fifteen years. The amount of vegetation there now makes visualization very tricky.

Great work Roy. (And good detective work Dave!) :declare:

Another camera-shy level crossing.

roygraham

What I find particularly appealing about this, is that the stunted and hardwired telegraph poles are testimony to just how wild and windswept it was out here, miles from civilization. I have the incessant urge for more field study grabbing me by the ankles.....

• 1 month later...

I was going to post these some time ago and the topic of minor crossings on another thread reminded me. A poor copy of the original plus the hiatus with uploads over the New Year put the mockers on it.

The list covers only the middle part as BR would have kept control of the northern and southern ends of the route. Ignore the overlap between pages one and two. The clue to the date is in the first line, mid 1969. Any one feel like a (very) long walk?

Bernard

post-149-0-42549400-1326712448_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-77936300-1326712477_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-08934600-1326712506_thumb.jpg

Bernard, that information is fantastic, thank you. It's just struck me that in this era we take for granted that databases exist in virtual media available as a pdf or print-out, let alone typed or photocopied; someone took time and considerable trouble to painstakingly write that list out long-hand. I bet they had no idea that 43 years later it would find its way into source material, greeted with the appetite that this Group is able to work-up.

What a wonderful piece of archive info that is ... it also makes me wonder which of those on the list between 1 & 16 will be required once again with the "new build" or if alternative access has had to be arranged for any so in need?

What a wonderful piece of archive info that is ... it also makes me wonder which of those on the list between 1 & 16 will be required once again with the "new build" or if alternative access has had to be arranged for any so in need?

Oh indeed. There could also be others north of that point.

It is not just a dead document from 43 years ago.

Some will no doubt have changed while others must I am sure still be current.

It will give the lawyers another topic to get their teeth into regarding who has to pay for updating to modern safety standards.

Bernard

I love the idea that somewhere in remote fields in the organic arbours of deepest Lower Liddesdale, there are two innocuous pairs of gate posts that once hosted telephone connections to the bobby at Kershopefoot.

It is these little details, wiped out by a stroke of one pen, yet meticulously recorded for generations by another, that enrich this whole epic tragedy.

Peters Crook advised train on line, and what a train it was, a cheeky working of 64B's 7608 (one of the seven, seemingly regulars by now).

In other news 64B two-toner 5072 works out and back in diagram on 2X52, no less than three EET3s are in action (6851/47/6), plus EET4 367 and Peak 89, although what wheeled the Up Midnight across the border remains an enigmatic, struck-through 68?

Looks to me that 6846 gets recessed onto the Down at 2348 in order to let the Waker by. Fascinating nocturnal carryings-on in Lower Liddesdale.

I reckon the SB records hold the final clue to nailing the Class 50 enigma too...

Archived