Level Crossings of the Waverley Route

'CHARD

Further to my ramblings of yesterday, and noting (thanks Matt and Andy) that there's now the signalbox thread migrated across, I thought it opportune to launch this along the same lines.

There are a few Holy Grail locations in the remit of this topic: Stainton and Fauldmoor being the two that spring to mind as being extremely camera shy.

The best known L/Cs are probably Newcastleton (Protesters' Last Stand), Fountainhall (last day Deltic photo-stop), and Longtown (the only level crossing on the A7), but let's not forget Lyneside, Heriot, and a veritable surfeit of them on the branches.

Starting - as though any excuse were needed - with a 64B Whistler heaving a class 4 through Kershopefoot, with more atmospheric detail than is really considered decent:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=31014

Bruce, did you get a pic of Flying Greenhouse 8606 here on 6th January '69 by any chance?

I'm enthusiastic to see and hear any relevant info, not just photos. Obviously there will be some healthy overlap with the other parts of the Group, but this way we perhaps get to see some period road traffic too.

The best known L/Cs are probably Newcastleton (Protesters' Last Stand), Fountainhall (last day Deltic photo-stop), and Longtown (the only level crossing on the A7), but let's not forget Lyneside, Heriot,

Robert Robotham, The Waverley Route The Postwar Years has shots of the L/Cs at newcastleton, Lyneside and Heriot. Might be others but it does include two of the lesser spotted ones.

Bernard

Can anyone add to this list for the main line? I reckon in the down direction, we have the following ten/ eleven:

• Stainton
  • Lyneside
  • Fauldmoor
  • Longtown
  • Scotch Dyke
  • Kershopefoot
  • Newcastleton
  • Fountainhall
  • Heriot
  • Bush-on-Esk* (nos. 1 & 2)

* on the Longtown - Mossband cut-off, which I would definitely class as Main Line from 1963 to the End.

I'm not including Floriston, although pics of WR freights here exist in the standard works.

Until now I've never published these photos from my own collection, three views of Longtown level crossing, sorry no date. I believe they were taken for the company whose billboards were adjacent to the crossing, to see the different viewpoints of the billboards themselves. Interesting stuff ....

longtown1s.jpg

Looking west

longtown2s.jpg

Looking west

longtown3s.jpg

Looking east

Matt, huge thanks for sharing those with the group. They are precisely the sort of social context footage that's invaluable, it really sets the railway into its broader context, and I feel that it's nowhere more evident than at level crossings - part of my logic in starting this particular thread. The modelling potential of these is incredible.

I'm guessing the pictures date from the fifties - but I'm sure closer scrutiny of the advertisements themselves will elicit more accurate dating. In the first shot, the large building left background is adjacent to the Gretna branch - is that part of the cattle market or a warehouse of some sort? The second highlights the ramped approach of the A7 to the tracks themselves. Overall, what a quiet moment - the photographer was out early or was it a Sunday?

Awesome stuff.

Guest Max Stafford

Ian, your assumption about the building is correct and the 'humping' of the road here is still pretty evident. Other than that though, there's precious little in this scene to link 'then' with 'now'. They are fascinating shots though Matt and if you keep on putting stuff like this up, you're bound to be the WRHA's finest recruiting sergeant! :yes:

Dave.

Different wrought iron gates grace the site of Stainton today. The fence-line beyond the lane marks the limit of deviation of the ECL, upside.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

And from the same railtour, Bush-on-Esk, albeit not how I wish to remember it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38339202@N00/5090604959/in/photostream/

Correcting, sort of, my L/C summary post of last week, one of the branch crossings was of course over the A7, providing the WR's pet trunk road with two along its length. That crossing being of the La'der Licht at Fountainhall.

... and turning the clock back even further, there was the level crossing in Galashiels on the Melrose road a short distance from the station. A bridge over the railway was opened in 1878.

Here's one from "Hawick Place Names" published in 1947, "BACK RAILWAY STREET" after a railway siding now dismantled. There's a little more about it in the "Hawick Word Book". An entry reads, "the Back Railway" former name for a short railway track running along Mansfield Gardens. The name was in use for the area in the mid-20th century, long after the siding had been dismantled.

I've yet to find this marked on an OS map.

Two other (occupation) crossings in use to the end of the line: Old Hall and Peters Crook.

Bruce

I was told recently that the proposed line of the 1990s to extract the forestry was to have a level crossing running across the A7 near where the Sandbed farm is now. I assume that this line would have come off the Smalmstown stub and proceeded north probably joining the formation of the old Waverley Route about where the engine-shed look-a-like is now.

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

After the route closed to through traffic the section at each end was kept open for various reasons. An update of the operating procedures was required to save money and this naturally impinged on how the level crossings were to be controlled. An added complication was the difference between english and scottish law, in particular where it concerned rights of way. There are differences between public and private rights of way in the two countries. The LMR drew up some new instructions for the operating of level crossings in their area. This was to cover the workings to the various MOD establishments around Longtown. See transcription of these instructions below.

As well as the listed level crossings in this part of the forum there were some occupation and accommodation crossings. I have aquired a list that details 61 of these.

Bernard

EDINBURGH - CARLISLE LINE

LEVEL CROSSINGS WITHIN L.M.R.

Stainton (public) 96 m. 232 yds. Between Carlisle and Parkhouse Halt

Attended by resident female crossing keeper who resides in adjacent cottage. Gates were opened on the authority of the Signalman at Canal Junction. From 3rd August, the line over the crossing will be closed, the Crossing Keeper’s position dispensed with and Canal Junction signalbox closed. Crossing cottage will be handed over to the Estate Department, but retained until the B.U.R. Co’s. application is known.

Lyneside (Public) 91 m. 935 yds. At Lyneside

Gates controlled by Signalman in adjacent signalbox. From 3rd August, signalbox will be abolished, and crossing gates operated by the Trainmen working to Longtown.

Fauldmoor (Public) 90 M. 726 yds. Between Lyneside and Longtown.

Attended by resident female Crossing Keeper who resides in an adjacent cottage. Gates were opened on the authority of the Lyneside Signalman. Post will be abolished as from 3rd August and gates will be operated by Trainmen working to Longtown.

Longtown (Public) 88 M. 1,012 yds. At Longtown.

Gates controlled by Signalman in adjacent signalbox, but only one Signalman remains. Operation of up line to Carlisle by B.U.R. would require additional Signalman.

Woodhead (Occupation) 86 M. 1,298 yds, Between Longtown and Scotch Dyke

Occupation level crossing used periodically for the cartage of gravel. Telephone to Longtown signalbox. Since January, 1969, line has been closed and telephone abolished.

Scotch Dyke (Public) 86 M. 440 yds. At Scotch Dyke

Attended by resident Crossing Keeper, now dispensed with. Gates opened on authority of Longtown Signalman. Crossing cottage handed over to Estate Department.

Guest Max Stafford

Thanks for putting this up Bernard.

Interesting on two counts; firstly that even into summer 1969 there was a requirement for manned signal boxes on the route to Longtown. Secondly that the BUR proposal was being taken seriously by the operations people at least.

Dave.

The mystery of the long lost level crossing.

The other day I came across a letter containing a reference to a level crossing that had been replaced by a bridge. On the back of the letter was a reference to a road in Hawick. An exchange of emails with Bruce, consultation of old and new maps and requests to various people got me nowhere as to finding the location. The letter was after all dated 1849 so it was hardly likely that anybody would remember. Eventually I tracked it down. It was not in Hawick at all but actually at Borthwick Mains on the road coming in from Vogrie at GR367603. When the line was built there was a level crossing installed here. It was very quickly replaced by a bridge. The road to the bridge had a sharp bend and a gradient of up to 1 in 8 1/4 with an average gradient of 1 in 8 1/2. A surveyor was sent out from Hawick and he suggested that a new bridge could be built with a maximum gradient of 1 in 9 and an average gradient of 1 in 12. I don't know if the alteration was ever carried out.

Bernard

Interesting on two counts; firstly that even into summer 1969 there was a requirement for manned signal boxes on the route to Longtown. Secondly that the BUR proposal was being taken seriously by the operations people at least.

Dave.

I have just sent 26 pages of official documents re the BUR to two of the authors of the pending books. Their comments were 'Heady stuff' and 'Fascinating'. The only problem is that the more I find the longer it will take for them to write it all up. One day the full history will be revealed. If you find the odd bits I put on here of interest then you will enjoy the full history when it is eventually published.

Bernard

The mystery of the long lost level crossing.

The other day I came across a letter containing a reference to a level crossing that had been replaced by a bridge. On the back of the letter was a reference to a road in Hawick. An exchange of emails with Bruce, consultation of old and new maps and requests to various people got me nowhere as to finding the location. The letter was after all dated 1849 so it was hardly likely that anybody would remember. Eventually I tracked it down. It was not in Hawick at all but actually at Borthwick Mains on the road coming in from Vogrie at GR367603. When the line was built there was a level crossing installed here. It was very quickly replaced by a bridge. The road to the bridge had a sharp bend and a gradient of up to 1 in 8 1/4 with an average gradient of 1 in 8 1/2. A surveyor was sent out from Hawick and he suggested that a new bridge could be built with a maximum gradient of 1 in 9 and an average gradient of 1 in 12. I don't know if the alteration was ever carried out.

Bernard

If it was replaced it feels steep on a bike! The next time I go that way I'll try and get some pictures.

Chris

• 3 months later...

After the route closed to through traffic the section at each end was kept open for various reasons. An update of the operating procedures was required to save money and this naturally impinged on how the level crossings were to be controlled. An added complication was the difference between english and scottish law, in particular where it concerned rights of way. There are differences between public and private rights of way in the two countries. The LMR drew up some new instructions for the operating of level crossings in their area. This was to cover the workings to the various MOD establishments around Longtown. See transcription of these instructions below.

As well as the listed level crossings in this part of the forum there were some occupation and accommodation crossings. I have aquired a list that details 61 of these.

Bernard

EDINBURGH - CARLISLE LINE

LEVEL CROSSINGS WITHIN L.M.R.

Stainton (public) 96 m. 232 yds. Between Carlisle and Parkhouse Halt

Attended by resident female crossing keeper who resides in adjacent cottage. Gates were opened on the authority of the Signalman at Canal Junction. From 3rd August, the line over the crossing will be closed, the Crossing Keeper’s position dispensed with and Canal Junction signalbox closed. Crossing cottage will be handed over to the Estate Department, but retained until the B.U.R. Co’s. application is known.

Lyneside (Public) 91 m. 935 yds. At Lyneside

Gates controlled by Signalman in adjacent signalbox. From 3rd August, signalbox will be abolished, and crossing gates operated by the Trainmen working to Longtown.

Fauldmoor (Public) 90 M. 726 yds. Between Lyneside and Longtown.

Attended by resident female Crossing Keeper who resides in an adjacent cottage. Gates were opened on the authority of the Lyneside Signalman. Post will be abolished as from 3rd August and gates will be operated by Trainmen working to Longtown.

Longtown (Public) 88 M. 1,012 yds. At Longtown.

Gates controlled by Signalman in adjacent signalbox, but only one Signalman remains. Operation of up line to Carlisle by B.U.R. would require additional Signalman.

Woodhead (Occupation) 86 M. 1,298 yds, Between Longtown and Scotch Dyke

Occupation level crossing used periodically for the cartage of gravel. Telephone to Longtown signalbox. Since January, 1969, line has been closed and telephone abolished.

Scotch Dyke (Public) 86 M. 440 yds. At Scotch Dyke

Attended by resident Crossing Keeper, now dispensed with. Gates opened on authority of Longtown Signalman. Crossing cottage handed over to Estate Department.

For Stainton try www.terrysrailwaypics.me.uk/page506.html

roygraham

• 1 month later...

Archived