Sweethome Chicago on Tour - May 2011

Jon Grant 4472

Last weekend, I exhibited Sweethome Chicago at Middlesborough (UK) Model Railway exhibition. The layout was driven to the show on Friday afternoon and set up in just over 3 hours, which is a bit of a record. Here's the layout at the show, but still packed up in the van at 6.45pm

IMG_9588.JPG

By 8.45, the layout was up and running

IMG_9589.JPG

The layout was exhibited on Saturday and Sunday and operated without any hitches or electrical problems.

Here's Phil operating the left hand yard on Saturday.......

IMG_9599.JPG

....and my son Steve operating the right hand yard.

IMG_9602.JPG

Jon

On Sunday, 'The Layout Doctor' arrived to operate the layout ;), and I started making a video blog for the layout.

The first two parts of the blog are here................

and here................

Some photos taken on Sunday at the exhibition

IMG_9659.JPG

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9658.JPG

Jon

Guest jonte

On Sunday, 'The Layout Doctor' arrived to operate the layout ;), and I started making a video blog for the layout.

The first two parts of the blog are here................

and here................

Some photos taken on Sunday at the exhibition

IMG_9659.JPG

IMG_9607.JPG

IMG_9644.JPG

IMG_9658.JPG

Jon

Very good, Jon...........and the layouts not bad either ;)

Jonte

The hobby would benefit if we adopted more of this UK style of exhibition here in the US. Our modular , open running format does bring new entrants into the hobby but the UK style would bring in even more.

Lance

The hobby would benefit if we adopted more of this UK style of exhibition here in the US. Our modular , open running format does bring new entrants into the hobby but the UK style would bring in even more.

Lance

It's true that by comparison we're positively spoilt when it comes to the number of shows in the UK, but the quality is rarely as high as Jon's layout and I'd rather have the American way of having a large permanent layout at home that the owner gets to enjoy on a daily basis, instead of an exhibition one or modules that are stored away.

Then again the opposing view is that most large (in a basement, say) American layouts are not up to the standard you see in the magazines either. They are usually so large (for one person) that they never get finished or they are not detailed (unballasted, suit you?).

Personally I like the idea of "in home" layouts in the form of linked complete modules - a series of vignettes if you will without all the tiresome, unrealistic peninsulars winding their way around boilers etc.........

As they say, though, "the other mans grass .........."

Best, Pete.

Hi Jon,

The video blog is brilliant!

I haven't laughed so much since I saw ' Vince Reeves Big Night Out' at Newcastle City Hall.:yes:

The Doctor is surely based on 'Les'

Now I can't wait to see Sweethome Alabama on Tour. Hope you'll do the 'hat' routine for the punters.

cheers,

Mal

Lance

Highly detailled sectional layouts are the norm for the British exhibition circuit, and there are at least 2 or 3 exhibitions on every weekend of the year. Small and medium-sized layouts (built by individuals), and medium to large layouts (built by club members or teams of individuals) can travel to most exhibitions within daily travelling distance.

One major factor that is the norm for the British exhibition circuit is that visiting layouts are invited to a show by the exhibition committee and travel costs, some meals and overnight accommodation is provided and paid for by the Show committee. The cost to the invited layout is mainly on the operators time, plus beer, evening meal, etc. In most cases, any profits from a show, if there are any, belong to the club organising that show.

Unlike the British system, the NMRA(British Region) on the other hand, do not pay for the accommodation or meals (following the US example), so many US outline layouts used to the British example, such as Sweethome Chicago and many others, will never be seen at NMRA Conventions, unless the convention is within daily travelling distance from home.

This is the main reason why I let my NMRA membership lapse, and I won't be rejoining anytime soon

...just my two-penneth

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree Jon. Taking Gilbert Junction to Kegworth 2010 was a nice weekend but although I knew it would be expensive when I accepted the invite(2 cars rather than 1 as I was taking a layout and operating team) it actually cost me a fortune as I ended up hiring a car as well as all the normal expenses and a couple of my operators stayed over too...

Having said that I chatted to some of the Springfield guys in 2007 when I went over to the US and the layouts there have to pay their way and then have to queue with the general public for their refreshments etc so I think when we exhibit in the UK we get a very good deal!(Most of the time..)

Nice video btw

Chris

Unlike the British system, the NMRA(British Region) on the other hand, do not pay for the accommodation or meals (following the US example), so many US outline layouts used to the British example, such as Sweethome Chicago and many others, will never be seen at NMRA Conventions, unless the convention is within daily travelling distance from home.

This is the main reason why I let my NMRA membership lapse, and I won't be rejoining anytime soon

...just my two-penneth

Jon

Which is the NMRA's loss. Doing things the American way doesn't always work in the UK, and I for one would have liked to see one of Jon's layouts at Kegworth, as i'm sure the paying public would have also.

Anyway, enough of the politics, time for modelling (since TVNAM is only two weeks away....).

Archived