UK Diesels,4mm, what is left to produce?

Pandora

Having struggled to build a half decent 25/1 from a Hornby body and a hacked about Bachmann chassis I'd have to cast my vote for a decent Derby Baby Sulzer. A 24/1, 25/0 or 25/1 would interest me most but I could be happy with any variant of the 24/25 family.

"Under the Ochils back in 75" eh!

Well, given where that range of hills is, I'd have yer down as a Kinross - dare I say Glenfarg - modeller! Type 2s are totally essential I agree.

Which is why I'm happy to hide behind green BR/Sulzers, as I don't remember this guise and it's therefore more forgiving than the familiar BFYE which to me sits uncomfortably on the locos' faces. As for the bodyside grilles, again, seriously compromised. Not decided how to tackle my headcode fitted pair of 24s yet, but you can guarantee that when each of us on here that needs a couple has done so, Bachmann will announce it as the first major facelift. I think on balance I possibly hope not ;)

I still don't thing a revised Derby type 2 is forthcoming anytime soon. I'm not saying for a minute that Bachmann's take on the class is perfect, but if it was as reviled as, say, the first generation Class 37 models from Barwell then I'm sure it would of been retooled before now. Remember that in essence Bachmann got so much flak over the body shape of the first 37's they binned the tooling and started again for subesquent releases. The 24 / 25 has only really attracted BAAAAAAAW-ing amongst the finescale boys, rather than the 37 which attracted derision from anyone with functioning eyesight.

The 24 / 25 has only really attracted BAAAAAAAW-ing amongst the finescale boys, rather than the 37 which attracted derision from anyone with functioning eyesight.

Mmm, dunno about that (or who these 'finescale boys' are, for that matter) :huh: ; the lack of relief on the BachRat underframes is pretty obvious really, especially when compared say to Heljan's BRCWs

Also, to the uninitated, the first 100 ACs look a much of a muchness,

Nooooo!!! Thats like saying Manors, Halls, Grange's and Castles all look the same. I appreciate what you are saying but are the uninitated going to buy something that they dont know? At the end of the day its about what will sell and I'm sure an 81 or 85 would sell, if only in limited quantities. Could be viable due to certain common parts in the mechanics.

Cheers

Shane

Guest Max Stafford

Nooooo!!! Thats like saying Manors, Halls, Grange's and Castles all look the same. Cheers

Shane

Yeah, but they do. I can't tell 'em apart...! ;)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, dunno about that (or who these 'finescale boys' are, for that matter) :huh: ; the lack of relief on the BachRat underframes is pretty obvious really, especially when compared say to Heljan's BRCWs

Maybe, and its a big-ish class (or collection of sub-classes maybe) but many people will consider it to have already been done, in that the Bachhy one is a modern chassis and runs (very) well, there is stuff in the ex-lima and Hornby stuff (back to the 29 again as an example!) that hasnt really been re-touched at all.

The biggest thought on the Bachmann rats is that there are still varients un-produced, so we might be more likely these before a wholesale improvement?

kept off electrics so far 'cos they are o/t? ;) :P

Hehehe, Russ is making what I consider to be a very good point (basically the point I was trying to make only he put it rather better!).

Semi-seriously now: I live in 25kV territory, and have on-and-off my entire life, but back in the day, if you'd asked any of the hundreds of local enthusiasts what fired them up on the platform ends of New St or, a few years later, bashing out of those same platforms, the answers would probably be (in no particular order other than historic): Westerns, Class 50s, 25s, 37s, Peaks and Type 5s on drags. The electric mafia were small(er) in number (if not stature, who else remembers Jed?).

I know this is all a bit arcane and I'll shut up after this, but in effect the early ACs were procured in a similar way to Type 2s - to a performance spec AND a physical appearance spec. That's why 24, 26 and 31 all have 2 and a half windows of similar appearance, and end-doors. Perhaps we're being greedy in wanting another sub-type of BR-Sulzer 2, probably asking too much that the tooling be corected after tens of thousands of units have been shifted. Once mine are personalised, modded, weathered &c will I (and hundreds of others) really move them on when the mechanism is basically upto present day standards (Russ's important distinction)? Probably not (which is why I've nearly 30 individually detailed and weathered Lima Westerns in store, and precisely why I switched from WR/LMR to ScR modelling).

Shane, don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have a fair crack at modelling what really excites them using RTR (I only returned to the hobby because of Heljan, note); possibly with trends in current production we may see more 25kV -but I return to my original point - Heljan's 86 and Peco's catenary will undoubtedly be the market testers for this. Apart from 81 and 85 (which share many features) the other three types are different in key areas (albeit not distinctively enough for some, hey Dave!). For the record my philistinism regarding the use of boiling water in propulsion is also legendary, and I'm even worse than Dave is claiming to be when it comes to Swindon products.

Last - the difference between mainland Europe and the UK in terms of popularity of electric modelling probably all has its roots in our modernisation plan which supplanted steam with diesel and then only electrified in a piecemeal fashion. Unlike Germany for one, where electrification quickly became, and remained, policy.

"Under the Ochils back in 75" eh!

Well, given where that range of hills is, I'd have yer down as a Kinross - dare I say Glenfarg - modeller! Type 2s are totally essential I agree.

My little toy train set is based around Alloa.

It's available to be viewed at Darlington this weekend, Glasgow next Feb and Rochdale in Feb 2011 or on line at

http://longcarsewest.fotopic.net/

Cheers

David

• RMweb Gold

Well I said I'd keep of the AC's but I wasnt really meaning to cause any offence Chard, its just that they are not mentioned in the OP!

I do actually like AC's and for that matter the 76's and 73's, certainly liked some of the effortless and qucik accelerating journies over the north half of the WCML behind 87's and 90's they just went up things like Shap and Beattock as though they are not there,

I think the practical reasons why they have not taken off as models may more be down to the practicalities of catenary, relatively long train lengths generally (though my favourite memory of a class 87 was a relief train of 5 Mk1's- a fast but fairly rough ride!) - agina the 86/87/90 has been done and although they are old mechs I think they look OK? though of course that may be 'sacre bleu' to a true fan!

- but mostly they are quiet,efficient, reliable and therefore just a little 'soulless'?

Guest Max Stafford

Soulless? Russ, you never saw/heard an 87 slipping its way up to line speed on the way past Kingmoor on a wet night. Or arcing its way through freezing fog past the same spot! B)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Soulless? Russ, you never saw/heard an 87 slipping its way up to line speed on the way past Kingmoor on a wet night. Or arcing its way through freezing fog past the same spot! B)

Dave.

I said 'mostly' and thought that might be a 'general opinion' especially in the context of modern Electrics and EMU's - there is no doubt the older traction and slam door emus have a charisma and following of their own?

Guest Max Stafford

Not long before they finished on the GE, I rode a 309 from Chelmsford to Liverpool St. The unit struck me as being something a bit special! :)

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Not long before they finished on the GE, I rode a 309 from Chelmsford to Liverpool St. The unit struck me as being something a bit special! smile.gif

Dave.

Best EMUs ever built, bar none!

Andi

Guest Max Stafford

I'm inclined to agree, Dag. It was my one and only encounter with the 309s, but they seemed roomy, comfortable and very fast. I was surprised to learn that they'd debuted in maroon livery. I'd like to see photos of them in that condition with the wrap-round windscreens.

Classy units even in NSE livery! :icon_thumbsup2:

• RMweb Gold

I'm inclined to agree, Dag. It was my one and only encounter with the 309s, but they seemed roomy, comfortable and very fast. I was surprised to learn that they'd debuted in maroon livery. I'd like to see photos of them in that condition with the wrap-round windscreens.

Classy units even in NSE livery! icon_thumbsup2.gif

I've got a couple of photos of 309s in maroon, but the copyright isn't mine so I can't post themsad.gif

Andi

i had to read this twice!! how long did it take him to clear them doing it that way?

I think he must have hit problems when they were in works! Allegedly he went through them about three times in this fashion though... Psychiatrists would have a field-day.

Archived