An homage to someone else's layout

Tony Davis

well, ok, I want to nick someone else's design..............

I found an image on this site http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3454&start=25 it's the 10th image down, of an industrial looking yard with a loco shed etc, that is something that I would like to model. I have only recently started railway modelling so would like some advice and help, if possible, namely, would someone be kind enough to do a rough trackplan based on this layout please. I can see a basic number of tracks but not entirely sure where points would go. Also, I would really like to limit the size to 6x2 on oo gauge, is that realistic? (I have attached the image)

Many thanks

Tony

post-11988-0-74425800-1306483138_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Masses of real locations similar to this Tony. You might find the research side of the hobby very enjoyable.

Jim

Masses of real locations similar to this Tony. You might find the research side of the hobby very enjoyable.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Fair point. I have been absorbed in books and photo's already, trouble is I get reading about a subject, which leads to another subject, which leads to, well, you get the point!

Tony

Hi Jim,

Fair point. I have been absorbed in books and photo's already, trouble is I get reading about a subject, which leads to another subject, which leads to, well, you get the point!

Tony

I recommend you don't get started on a prototype as compelling as New St or the Waverley Route, or you'll never get out alive :laugh:

Welcome to RMWeb Tony, well done for breaking cover and check out Longcarse West, Grove Street Yard, Culreoch, Deadwater Burn, Kylesku & The Mound, Peter's Street - there are loads that will inspire and inform - get stuck into the Layouts section and have a look round.

Also, I would really like to limit the size to 6x2 on oo gauge, is that realistic? (I have attached the image)

I think you would be very hard pushed to cram it into 6x2 - the original is 19x2'6" in O plus the Fiddle Yard

BTW I wouldn't worry too much about "nicking" someone else's track plan, I have see this one in several different guises (NG and 4mm) It is a very "classic" design. Of course, in every modeler's hands it looks different, which is the whole point. But that isn't going to make it fit.

I think you would be very hard pushed to cram it into 6x2 - the original is 19x2'6" in O plus the Fiddle Yard

A nice goods yard wouldn't be impossible in that space though, just not the original plan.

19 feet in 7mm will be 10.9 feet in 4mm,

so your not far short of reducing the original track plan length by 45%.........

that's a lot of compromise, unless you do it in 2mm.

19 feet in 7mm will be 10.9 feet in 4mm,

so your not far short of reducing the original track plan length by 45%.........

that's a lot of compromise, unless you do it in 2mm.

True, I will be using 4mm, so I will have to compromise a bit on the various parts, but the overall "look" should be achievable.

On the subject of cutting bits down, is there a minimum recommended length for head shunts in OO?

Regards

Tony

On the subject of cutting bits down, is there a minimum recommended length for head shunts in OO?

Absolute: length of your longest loco that will use it - or it is just about as useful as a chocolate fry pan.

Sensible: loco + brake van or at least the longest loco + longest wagon.

If you are attemptin Inglenook puzzle shunting loco+3 wagons typical.

which all adds up on that plan when you add the points in to not much left - if anything.

Whatever you do decide on try it out for real on the floor - many a concept has ended up rejected after it has been stuck down on the fixed size baseboards.

Archived