Detling show?

Del

I saw a mention in Model Rail of a model railway show at the Kent County Showground, Detling (near Maidstone).

Apparently, forty layouts and all the main manufacturers attending but the website address they give is dead.

Anyone know any more about it?

I had been told by a reliable source that the web site would be : www.detlingmodelshow.co.uk

However, it doesn't appear to work ... most disappointing for what is supposed to be a large show!

I had been told by a reliable source that the web site would be : www.detlingmodelshow.co.uk

However, it doesn't appear to work ... most disappointing for what is supposed to be a large show!

Hi Jack,

On the UK model directories website, it says the website will be up soon! I believe this is a new exhibition, I am the club secretary for Tonbridge MRC and it is about a half hour's drive for me and this is the first time that I have heard of it.

Colin

Must be a surprise party then cause I haven't received the invite yet, or is this it? :yahoo:

Colin

Right, yourself and Ken, Saturday of Scalefourum, venue not finalised but in easy reach of Waterloo or London Bridge.

Bill

Right, yourself and Ken, Saturday of Scalefourum, venue not finalised but in easy reach of Waterloo or London Bridge.

Bill

Sounds interesting, what will we do with the car, unless you are thniking about Tonbridge, definitely within easy reach of London Bridge, direct service.

Going back to the topic, I have asked several club members about this show, no one had heard about it, but apparently there is a notice in the Signal Box shop in Rochester advertising the show, but no clue as to who the organizer is!

Colin

I believe the organiser used to run Brighton Modelworld and works at the Signal Box.

The BWWMRC layout Horton has been invited to attend and we are busy tidying it up (plus we hopefully have a RM photoshoot before then ;))

Regards,

Dan

Hi

I noticed a thread regarding the Detling Model Show Group’s new model railway show at Detling Showground, and thought an update would be useful, to clear things up.

Below is the updated text from our press release regarding our Detling Show -

‘The Detling Model Show Group are pleased to announce a brand new, exciting Model Railway Show at the Kent Showground, Detling, Kent on Saturday 24th and Sunday 25th September 2011.

The show will bring together over 40 of the finest layouts and full trade support including Bachmann, Hornby, Gaugemaster Dapol & Fleischmann , and we will be supporting two very worthy causes, the Kent Air Ambulance, and the RNLI. The Bluebell Railway & The Bulleid Society will be sending along Blackmoor Vale, Stepney and the recently restored SECR coach no 3360, the restoration of which has been funded by ‘The People’s Millions’.. Additional attractions will include a miniature railway, and a visiting engine from the nearby Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway.

Set in 200 acres of the Kent Countryside, Detling boasts excellent motorway links, being situated between the M2 and M20 motorways, and only 25 minutes from the M25. With ample free on-site parking, and a frequent, free shuttle bus from Maidstone East and West Stations, getting there will be hassle free!

Detling is a must on every enthusiast’s calendar, for additional details, including updated lists of layouts and traders attending, visit www.ukmodelshopsdirectory.co.uk

Principal organiser is myself, Chris Bennett, who has been involved with various shows, including Brighton Model world, and although I do work at Signalbox, Rochester, the shop, nor owners have any involvement in the organising of the show.

With regards to the website, there have been a number of issues, which we are hoping to resolve in the near future.

Kind Regards

Chris

Does anyone think this guy is trying to kill off the Folkestone show as this show at dentling is the weekend before Folkestone?

Would suspect the shows at Fort Pitt (Rochester), Staplehurst (same weekend) & Wilmington may suffer before Folkestone, but in the current economic climate who can say about attendaances at any show.

Colin

Kent Air Ambulance and the RNLI are very deserving causes but are any model railway clubs going to get anything out of it.

It seems that it is possible that this show will take income away from other shows that, traditionally, put money back into their Model Railway Club organisers.

Dave

and I suppose this will be in tents on the showground, memories of a wet chatham show many years ago flash before my eyes :huh:

there own "temporary website" is not up to date and UKmodelshops page, and the the showgrounds page is wofully out of date too, Hmmmm

I will be a scalefourm that weekend

Does anyone think this guy is trying to kill off the Folkestone show as this show at dentling is the weekend before Folkestone?

Not at all, this show is in Maidstone, so it will attract (hopefully) those that once attended the model railway show hosted by the KESR Maidstone group which sadly has gone.

Folkestone has always been a well attended show and hopefully will be this year. With the way things are at the moment not many people are buying model railway.

and I suppose this will be in tents on the showground, memories of a wet chatham show many years ago flash before my eyes :huh:

there own "temporary website" is not up to date and UKmodelshops page, and the the showgrounds page is wofully out of date too, Hmmmm

I will be a scalefourm that weekend

When was the last time you went to Detling? they've got 4,500 Square metres (allegedly) of indoor exhibition space! :yes:

Not at all, this show is in Maidstone, so it will attract (hopefully) those that once attended the model railway show hosted by the KESR Maidstone group which sadly has gone.

Folkestone has always been a well attended show and hopefully will be this year. With the way things are at the moment not many people are buying model railway.

In recent years, Kent has lost shows hosted by Ashford and Orpington clubs (although Orpington still has its open weekend in January) as well as the KESR supporting show in Maidstone. The show at Detling is the second new show for Kent this year, the other being Tenterden in March, which should be good for modellers in the county, however it will be interesting to see what the attendances will be for this show.

Colin

Depends what the organisers are paying for, there is a full conference centre, three halls , plus the Agricultural Sheds as well on the site, so I doubt temporary tents etc wouls be used, why not ask the organisers? He did post on here.

Stephen.

Ambitious maybe, Detling model railway show will be housed in the 4,500 sq/m of indoor buildings

which for those of you are intrested is also waterproof, allthough we do have room undercover to put the full size locos ,

we have decided they will be placed on static display outside we have hopefully booked the good weather therefore will be ideal for those of you wishing to get photographs,

outside with Blackmoor Vale will be Stepney along side a few other intresting exhibits,

Detling is being supported by all the key manufacturers and traders now bosting over 44 layouts , i belive there will be something for everyone shows allways clash with other events ,

but everyone has to start somewhere, you wont know how good it is unles you go!

Website is now working and the showground have now been sent the correct links

for further details

visit www.detlingmodelshow.co.uk

Chris

Archived