Waverley Route Structures

'CHARD

The new A74 bridge crops up as a subject from time to time. I think Dave mentioned it a bit ago in regards to the role it played in the closure of the line.This attached might be of interest.

From this memo and various other sources it would seem that although the new road was discussed prior to closure having been agreed, no decision was taken until after the closure plans had been announced. Another memo includes a cryptic comment that the compensation to be paid for the land required for the new road would at least equal the cost of upgrading the Mossband-Longtown section. Dodgy dealings?!

I am still confused.

When BURCo were negotiating they were asked to pay for the provision of the new bridge. However they were only negotiating to buy the route to a point some distance north of the bridge. The bridge would be on a section of the line over which they would have running powers but that they would not actually own.

Part of the reason for wrong direction working out of Kingmoor Yard and thus the requirement of the Waverley trade mark of two brake vans was due to lack of capacity on the WCML. Using Mossband-Longtown would have made the problem worse.

Bernard

post-149-0-79230100-1323098417_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Trains were still plying their timeless trade as that incoming mail was stamped, and the ticking clock got that fraction louder.

As the railhead sang under the passage of the 1.0 Carlisle - Edinburgh that afternoon, you'd swear it was with the words 'indecent haste, indecent haste...'

• 3 weeks later...

We don't hear much about Fushie, so to set the record straight, here are some lovely shots of the surviving Bridge 29 taken from the trackbed, and culled from RCAHMS. The station closed to pax in 1943 and continued as an unadvertised workmen's only stop after that, until 1959:

http://canmore.rcahm...idge+bridge+29/

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's a structure that in its 'subsequent use' lifespan I've never quite got to grips with. There are two such crossings of the Gala between Gattonside and Kilnknowe woods, one is deckless, and this has what - half the spans left intact...?

http://www.railbrit....e2.php?id=38215

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete2.php?id=38187

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

This bridge isn't all it seems - the piers were reduced in height and a new deck formed using some of the original girders by Borders Regional Council Planning Dept. I'm not sure exactly when this was done - certainly prior to 1989 - nor why it was lowered (the lowering is obvious in the view taken from the west end) but it was possibly to get a reasonable gradient on the path between the west end of the deck and Wheatlands Road which isn't very far away. Incidentally its replacement will have to be somewhat higher than the original bridge to get a reasonable clearance over Wheatlands Road, which has been raised a bit since 1969.

Bill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Waverley Structures.....

Before the demise of Fotopic I had a whole Ablum dedicated to 'Now' on the Waverley route - specifically the current site for stations.

I'm not sure if I should reload everything somewhere or just post samples on here?

Anyway...

Some tasters

post-6887-0-06627800-1334261819.jpg

post-6887-0-26222600-1334261864.jpg

post-6887-0-85506100-1334261899.jpg

post-6887-0-58973100-1334261953.jpg

Thanks

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Have you thought about a Flickr account, Phil? Then they could be linked with the Waverley Route group on there so it ties everything in.

Hi Matt,

Not sure about Flickr - I already have Picassa and Photobucket sites.

I am getting close to limits on those though!

Will have a think and see what else I have available.

Checking on my ISP - I have 1gigabyte available as webspace. and may decide to get the finger out and use it.

Watch this space!

Thanks

• Like 1

I was on the listed building site for a totally different reason yesterday.

It has recently had a major update with links to maps etc being much improved.

I tried a search on Carlisle.

Came up with this.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-386927-waverley-viaduct-west-of-the-former-elec/bingmap

A much improved source for English buildings and worth a browse.

Some locations seem to be much better covered than others so it's rather a case of pot luck.

Bernard

• Like 1

Thanks Bernard, I'm delighted the site has been improved; pot luck notwithstanding it's excellent now it's much easier to locate the quite substantial resources gathered there. I can see myself spending large amounts of time immersed in the records. SCRAN/ RCAHMS really had the edge but this is now a worthy counterpart.

Great spot, cheers!

I'm delighted the site has been improved; pot luck notwithstanding it's excellent now it's much easier to locate the quite substantial resources gathered there.

Oh it's a real time waster all right.

It might be much easier than before to locate a building on the site, but it can still be a struggle to locate one in the real world. As I have just found out today tracking down a couple.

Bernard

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This sixties structure is fascinating.  Built over a doomed line to connect parts of a town that was expanding.  The twisted logic of the then Scottish Region closerati....

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=46729

I wonder if the smoke deflectors will be relocated to a central position for the new single track line

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

You may not have seen ... a couple of images of Hawick Viaduct at a late stage of demolition using explosives. Images show a particularly stubborn pier, in the river and being in the middle of town must have been a constraint.

These are thumbnails from SCRAN's public facing web site.

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-542-290-C

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-542-289-C

Typical of the great lengths the powers that be went to, to eradicate a few key structures.  If ever there was a great case for keeping things 'in case they came in handy' then it surely applied to the Teviot Viaduct and its sisters Clerk's Leap, Sandholm and Slitrig.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been of the opinion that a deliberate 'scorched earth' policy was in force regarding some of the more controversial route closures. I can think of no other reason than some kind of anti-rail spite in high places; the 1970s and '80s being the high water mark of the road-building, car culture era.

I have some other more political theories about these acts but this isn't the place to discuss them. Some of the opposition to the new route comes from people of similar persuasion to those I theorise about. I think Bill knows what I'm getting at.  :D

Edited by Mad McCann

I've always been of the opinion that a deliberate 'scorched earth' policy was in force regarding some of the more controversial route closures. I can think of no other reason than some kind of anti-rail spite in high places; the 1970s and '80s being the high water mark of the road-building, car culture era.

I have some other more political theories about these acts but this isn't the place to discuss them. Some of the opposition to the new route comes from people of similar persuasion to those I theorise about. I think Bill knows what I'm getting at.  :D

And I have no doubt that there was little enthusiasm amongst the civil servants in the Scottish Executive down at Victoria Quay when the Scott Wilson report was published in 2000. My theory is that responsibility for obtaining the parliamentary Bill was offloaded onto Scottish Borders Council in the expectation that the project would go pear-shaped, but without the SE getting any egg on its face (although they were of course pulling all the strings behind the scenes). Once that happened they could get on with what they really liked doing i.e. planning and building new roads. Hopefully things are better since Transport Scotland was established a few years back although I believe the team overseeing construction of the Borders Railways is composed of roads people (which might explain why there has been absolutely no compromise on the design standards for the new roads into Heriot and Fountainhall yet the railway is hamstrung with single track bridges at these same locations).

Bill

• Like 1