Hollar Models

Pennine MC

I have discovered today that this excellent range is now available from Parkside Dundas (relevant page, for 4mm anyway, here). For those not in the know, these are the paper labels stuck to the sides of railway-owned vans and containers in the '50s and '60s as a rudimentary form of advertising for firms using rail transport; late period prototype examples from Paul Bartlett's website are here and here

Hollar's own current webpage is here, showing an example of one of the posters on a nicely weathered Bachmann GW Mink, and proprietor Tony McSean tells me that he has plans to update and upgrade the site. I've used these posters myself, they really do look the part and are a useful item to add something extra to a wagon fleet.

Sankey Scenics also do these, amongst other signage. I picked a set up at Modelrail Scotland from the Grimy Times stand, recommended.

Tony did say Parkside were distributing to the trade as well, so they might also appear elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm looking for fertilizer posters for the period 58/59 can Tony S or anyone else confirm these are close enough or am I being pedantic....

Will be going to Perth show this weekend and hope to purchase a few off Parkside.

Regards,

Dave Franks.

Hi all, I'm looking for fertilizer posters for the period 58/59 can Tony S or anyone else confirm these are close enough or am I being pedantic....

The ICI ones were certainly around in the early 60s Dave; not sure about the Basic Slag though, they might be a bit more 'modern'. You could drop Tony a line via the e-mail link on his site (under 'posters to order') - I found him very helpful :yes:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've mentioned this on the thread in Prototype Questions but the ICI fertilizer label has only 2 waves, I seem to remember in the late 80's early 90's (can't remember exactly) there was a lot of fuss over the changing of the logo from 3 to 2 waves, especially the cost. Surely the correct one is the one shown on this page.

• RMweb Premium

I've mentioned this on the thread in Prototype Questions but the ICI fertilizer label has only 2 waves, I seem to remember in the late 80's early 90's (can't remember exactly) there was a lot of fuss over the changing of the logo from 3 to 2 waves, especially the cost. Surely the correct one is the one shown on this page.

It is certainly true that the ICI logo changed from 3 waves to 2 around the late 80s. It had certainly changed by 1992 and I am sure that if I searched through my old diaries, I could confirm the exact date.

It is certainly true that the ICI logo changed from 3 waves to 2 around the late 80s. It had certainly changed by 1992 and I am sure that if I searched through my old diaries, I could confirm the exact date.

I reckon it changed between 6th Sept 1987 & 21st Sept 1987. I used to spend a lot of time photographing motor sport back then and Having a quick check shows that the logo(Trademark) changed between the Monza and Estoril Grand prix on both cars(Williams GPE) and drivers overalls. (Mansell & Piquet).

There was a bit of a press conference regarding the "re-branding" and I seem to remember it being said that the consultancy that redesigned the logo charged £6,000,000. (Yes thats million!)

But back to the main subject. Any idea of when the advertising labels became common? It seems that looking through photographs they were much more common post 1960 than before.

Porcy

Archived