Switch Stands / Motors

That's interesting stuff Barry, I wonder if you could identify the correct switch stand from the first photo in this link and also if anyone makes a model of the correct switch, if you happen to know. Although I'm not making an exact model of the line, I'd like to get things as close as possible and I incorrectly assumed that other than tall or short stands, they were pretty generic, (apart from the targets themselves).

As stated above, I'd love to have manually working switches that I can throw rather than some kind of underboard mechanism, but not at the expense of it looking very wrong.

Hi Nick:

Thanks, for comments...happy to help.

The switch on the Alexander railroad looks to be a basic "flop over" one which is very common on many roads and may or may not have a target depending on level of usage.

I don't know if there is an operating, model of this switch machine but I believe there are modern,non-operating, model versions with safer throw levers available.Possiby Rix makes some of those.

BTW, the new Rapido, switch stands/machines which are operable, look to be a nice solution for us modelers especially, for those of us with just a few switches. Also I think

Micro Engineering makes "dummy", models of cast,dual control, switch machines.

If you have time and ability I would enjoy seeing your layout plan and offering any suggestions regarding Soo or MNNR switching locations.

Barry 

I do actually have a plan already, although it's designed as a shunting puzzle rather than an accurate model of a location. Having very limited room, a 3-2-2 inglenook gives me the maximum operational potential until such time that I can build bigger

gants5_zpsqqwjfpzi.jpg

The location it's based upon can be found here

The problem with that Simon, is that I'd have to model a mountain then for it to make sense to the casual observer ;)

I've settled on the name Gantsville, although you'd have to be a fan of NASCAR to understand the reference.

For us railway/railroading types, that would make sense, but certainly the people I know would sadly take the name in the literal sense and expect a mountain. Exhibitions also cater to non enthusiasts, (if I were to ever venture out with the layout,) where I fear I'd face the same problem. You and me may get it, but I'd rather not stand around trying to explain that one. I'm sure there would be plenty of other things I need to explain on my layout ;)

I do actually have a plan already, although it's designed as a shunting puzzle rather than an accurate model of a location. Having very limited room, a 3-2-2 inglenook gives me the maximum operational potential until such time that I can build bigger

gants5_zpsqqwjfpzi.jpg

The location it's based upon can be found here

Looking at that layout, the Y-switch screams 'not American!'. Yes, there are prototype locations that do use Y-switches, but it isn't common and isn't used in your prototype location.

Adrian

Yep, I've tossed back and forth over the use of a Y point there, originally I used a left hand point. Then again, I also originally used setrack points due to reasons of space, but rightfully questions were raised over the ability to couple/uncouple on the resulting bends. I could "borrow" both points from Budgetbrooke and get the track laid within a week if I went with the SLE-91/92 option..........

Anyone make regular trips or even planning a 1 off trip in the near future? 
I'd love to be able to get a couple of Caboose Industries' 109R switch stands, but the total including postage comes to $15.45 and I'd rather not be hit with loads of import fees for such small items. I tried looking on the gov.uk website, but info is about as clear as a muddy puddle on what fees to expect. 

If I am reading it right, I think I should actually be ok. $15.45 including postage = £10.56 at live rates. According to https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty if it is under £15, there's no VAT to pay and customs duty isn't in effect either as it's under the £135 threshold. I want to be sure though as obviously i don't want to end up pay something silly like £30-40 for a couple of tiny switches.

That's what concerns me Simon, I think i'll procrastinate a bit until after TVNAM and see if I can find alternatives. If I could find some 6mm diameter bevel gears, I'd have a go at making my own mechanism from scratch, but alas, the smallest I can find is 11mm

Archived