Switch Stands / Motors

Well, if you're going to have a nervous breakdown then make some out of tubing and odd squiggly bits but with a verticle post and a swivelly (red one way green the other). I'm sure no one will notice that they are not based on a real example. Or you can say "trisonic" sent you a sample photo from the famous "Trollopenese" shortline in the Adirondacks.......

Best, Pete.

Yes - very interesting - complicated bit of kit, aren't they..?

Now here's another stupid question - which way should the red and green indicators face? Or in other words, which color indicates which direction the switch is set, i.e. straight ahead, or diverging..?

Generally green is straight and red is curved, or possibly more accurately green is the main route, red is the diverging route.

I *think* the second railimages image earlier in the thread may be powered ones that can be operated by the train crew without leaving the cab, they can be dialled up by mobile phone or radio. (DCC points from the handset becoming prototypical! ;) )

I *think* the second railimages image earlier in the thread may be powered ones that can be operated by the train crew without leaving the cab, they can be dialled up by mobile phone or radio. (DCC points from the handset becoming prototypical! ;) )

So far none of the images in this thread are of remotely controled switch motors. All the prototype images in this thread have been of hand operated switches.

So far none of the images in this thread are of remotely controled switch motors. All the prototype images in this thread have been of hand operated switches.

Erm, i'd disagree...for a start i'm pretty sure all of the ones signalmaintainer linked to in post #3 are powered remote controlled switch machines, the Alstom one is very similar to a design used over here!

Anyhow, the linked-to image I was referring to is here:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=297857&nseq=3

And maybe a slightly closer shot, one in the foreground here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33737479@N05/5471891235/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Now I have to admit i'm not totally sure what all the components are from shots like that, but they are not 'conventional' hand operated manual switches, there's a big equipment case protecting the electrical components, there's an orange warning or fault light on the top, theres a post with something on it (push button control? Solar panel?)....something maybe not identical, but along the lines of:

www.rrtools.com/trackAccessories/SolarOperatedSwitchStand.asp

Sorry, my mistake, you are correct that the machines in post #3 are dual control switch motors.

Note they have two handles, one moves the motor from powered to hand operation and the other (larger) moves the mechanism once in hand operation.

As for the switch stands in the yard picture I will have to look at them. The only radio controlled switches I have personally had any experience with were on the main track on sidings in fairly remote areas that weren't CTC. Not saying they aren't radio controlled, just haven't seen that arrangement in a yard before.

Thanks for all the info! I had a go at making a switch stand with rotating targets yesterday, but there isn't enough movement on the actual throw rod to rotate it through 90deg., so non-working dummy stands it'll have to be, for now... :rolleyes:

Ah well, potential for 'upgrade' later, I suppose! :mellow:

Based on the pictures and the sales brochure they are electrically powered switches operated by a pushbutton or switch in the little box on the post or remotely from a switch shanty.

Note that it is a spring switch, that is it can be trailed through when teh switch is lined against the movement. The small "SS" on the target was the fist clue and the big ole spring on the conecting rod was the other. This former Reading Co. track.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought this a place as good as any. Not sure if 've missed this above or not.

If I have a red disc style switch stand, which switch direction is set if

a ) the disc is parallel to the rail

b ) the disc is perpendicular to the rail

Also are these disc types still in use and were they confined to a specific area?

Regards

Dave

The red disk is perpendicular to the rail when the switch is set for the diverging route. It is parallel to the rail when it is set for the normal route. The Harriman roads and the D&RGW (at least) used red disks for switches on the main line and yellow disks for switches not on the main line, though the exact reasoning in each case is hard for me to figure. The type of switchstand each road used was up to the railroad, but the Star type (red disk) was more common in the west, less common in the east, though I believe it was used by CN subsidiaries, certainly GTW, and I think CV and GT (Maine). The type that NJI calls Ramapo was more common in the east, although the targets often weren't painted as they come from NJI (a project I still have to work on). The red disk type is definitely still around, but it's being replaced by more modern types with longer levers.

• 3 years later...

A few more photos, taken in New Westminster, BC last weekend:

attachicon.gifIMG_0621.JPG

Holy thread revival Batman! Erm, sorry guys, but does anyone make a working model of the above switch stand in HO. Would love a couple of these for my Inglenook build I currently have planned and intent to start building within the next few weeks.

Edit: As an alternative, I have finally found a picture of the style used on the line I plan to model, (typical it would happen within 15 minutes of posting,) the link is here. If anyone produces a working model, thatwould be the jackpot for me, but being new to the US scene, I don't really know where to start looking

Holy thread revival Batman! Erm, sorry guys, but does anyone make a working model of the above switch stand in HO. Would love a couple of these for my Inglenook build I currently have planned and intent to start building within the next few weeks.

Edit: As an alternative, I have finally found a picture of the style used on the line I plan to model, (typical it would happen within 15 minutes of posting,) the link is here. If anyone produces a working model, thatwould be the jackpot for me, but being new to the US scene, I don't really know where to start looking

Take a look at Rapido's new Railcrew line - I haven't played with them myself (I do N, not HO), but the display items look good.

http://rapidotrains.com/switch-machine-with-operating-switchstand/

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Not the cheapest solution, but if they can be found in the UK at a reasonable price, they're certainly an attractive option. I was thinking of manual (hand of god,) switching, but i'll certainly consider these

Switch stands and targets also available separately to quote the website.

Having worked for the Soo and MNNR in the Twin Cities the first, example, the Star, high target hand throw switch is what the Soo used. The high target was used only the main track so the engineer could verify at speed the "supposed" position of the switch. However, this was never to be depended upon because vandals sometimes would line the switch in the reverse position and bend the target to indicated the main track position setting a trap/potenial derailment for the crew. We as engineers and conductors were always taught to "read the points" (looking at the rails and identifying the correct position by the gap between the point and stock rails) rather than relying on the target. The Soo also used only a single, target,manual switch rather than a dual one. The red target being most visabile when lined for the reverse position and almost inviseable when lined for the main track.

In the yard, low target/low throw switches were the general rule  

In CTC and some interlocking, signaled territory dual control switches were the rule. These electric motor driven, low profile switch machines were generally operated by a control operator/dispatcher but could also be taken off power and hand operated after receiving permission from the operator.

It's important to follow the prototype when choosing proper switch stands/machines as they set the tone and realism for each individual railroad. Growing up in the midwest we young railfans could easily identify a railroad merely by looking at the type of switch and target as many different and few the same.

Barry

Archived