How does "Multi-Quote" work?

Click on 'multiquote' for each post you want to quote, then click on 'use full editor' at the bottom of the page - the required posts will all be quoted and you can then edit/add as required.

• RMweb Gold

Rod,

Thanks for that, but I can't make it work.

As soon as I click "Multi-Quote" on a reply I lose the "Multi Quote" button on all the other posts, so I can't click on them.

When I click "Use Full Editor", there is just the one quote shown.

I can't include the second and third quotes.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I've just been and tried IE9 and yes, you're absolutely correct, the Multiquote is not working as it should. Clicking on the first post you want to quote then opens the reply window with just the one quote populated. It'll need investigating further at this end.

madclear.gif

Guest dilbert

FIrefox 4.0 works with no problems at all - I gave up with IEx ages ago - seems to create more hassle than anything else... - what a waste of time .. dilbert

I have received several replies to a post on one of my topics which I would like to quote together in a single reply.

How does the "Multi Quote" feature work?

Steve.

Click on 'multiquote' for each post you want to quote, then click on 'use full editor' at the bottom of the page - the required posts will all be quoted and you can then edit/add as required.

Thanks for bringing this one up, its one feature that I could never work out, until now.

FIrefox 4.0 works with no problems at all - I gave up with IEx ages ago - seems to create more hassle than anything else... - what a waste of time .. dilbert

I know it's not the right answer but it's so tempting to try and wean as many folk from IE onto other browsers. Very few problems come from the alternatives.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for bringing this one up, its one feature that I could never work out, until now.

I know it's not the right answer but it's so tempting to try and wean as many folk from IE onto other browsers. Very few problems come from the alternatives.

A quick test indicates that it works ok with safari - thanks for asking Steve as it has puzzlee me too and having found it never worked before I left IE type browsers I had assumed it was me - now I know differentwink.gif

Works fine on IE8 for me, so it wouldn't appear to be all IE type browsers.

Andy,I'm using Internet Explorer9.Steve.

A quick test indicates that it works ok with safari - thanks for asking Steve as it has puzzlee me too and having found it never worked before I left IE type browsers I had assumed it was me - now I know differentwink.gif

IE9 with compatibilty view

• RMweb Gold

Works fine on IE8 for me, so it wouldn't appear to be all IE type browsers.

IE9 with compatibilty view

Yippee!!!!

It works with Compatibility View switched on for all sites.

Thans to everyone for all your efforts.

Steve

For anyone who can't make Multiquote work (for whatever reason), an alternative I use on other forums is to build them up one by one.

Hit 'reply quoting this post' as normal on the first post you want to quote, then hit 'Ctrl' + 'A', then 'Ctrl' + 'X' - this highlights the quote and puts it on your clipboard. Then hit 'back', find the second post you want to quote, again hit 'reply quoting this post'; then use tab keys/space bar or whatever to edit a space ahead of the second quote. Then hit 'Ctrl' + 'V' and that will place the first requote ahead of the second. Repeat ad infinitum, and then edit as you wish.

Do you think it would be a good idea if we had a sticky post that detailed things around here that don't work with certain browsers? I've been meaning to do this with IE6 for a while, we could expand it to other browsers.

Perhaps it's not worth the effort though.

Perhaps it's not worth the effort though.

Possibly useful but the problem is getting folk to read stuff like this. It's somewhere to point them to though.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly useful but the problem is getting folk to read stuff like this. It's somewhere to point them to though.

I started this topic in here because that's where I expected to find some info on my problem.

The people who need to read it are likely to look in the How-to Guides because they have a problem.

Those who don't will just carry on, not being bothered by, for them, unimportant stuff.

Steve.

• 6 months later...

I am new to this! But thank you for this piece of info :)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

A different type of MultiQuote...

I have no problem using the MultiQuote button to quote more than one post in a reply, but I have also seen that some people can quote not only a post but a reply to, so the exchange as a whole is quoted. This was a standard feature when quoting on the old version of the forum, but now whenever I quote I only ever get the "latest" post. I can't see any feature to enable this, so can anyone help please.

• RMweb Premium

Easiest way is to go to the source of the quote, rather than the quoted version, and the replies, and do a multiquote on those. Otherwise it's a do-able but tedious manual copy-paste option.

Thanks 10800. This is what I do, but since others seemed to be able to quote within a quote and there seemed to be no obvious reason why they needed to do so to get their message across, I thought there must be a quick way of doing it. Obviously not...

Archived