Furness Railway No.25

matty-a7x

Hello everyone,

I recently found out that there is another loco to the same design as Furness Railway No.20 still in existence. I have searched the net and asked about but have found limited information, Only thing i have found out is she is in Barrow Docks condition (converted to saddle tank. Does anyone else have any pics/Info on the loco? Any pics of the loco are welcome as im quit interested to see how it looked when it was/is? at Steamtown.

So far the only info I've found is this link http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/1.267246

Thanks Matt

P.S if I've put this topic in the wrong section, sorry! :)

I am not sure on what condition she is in now or where she is but there was talk a few year back of restoring her to working order as a tank - to show the life changes over the years the class existed.

Last time I remember seeing her at Carnforth she was parked on a short lentgh of track painted up as Percy from Thomas the Tank Engine, complete with face.

I am not sure on what condition she is in now or where she is but there was talk a few year back of restoring her to working order as a tank - to show the life changes over the years the class existed.

Last time I remember seeing her at Carnforth she was parked on a short lentgh of track painted up as Percy from Thomas the Tank Engine, complete with face.

Thanks for the info, seems shes just fallen off the radar!

Matt

I've just had a read around, can't find anything on No.25's location but I would be interested to see it steaming as a tank engine alongside number 20!

Whilst looking I re-acquainted myself with the story of No.115 - the inspiration for 'Thomas Down the Mine' - technically it is still in existence, just 200 feet below the ground!

• Like 1

I've just had a read around, can't find anything on No.25's location but I would be interested to see it steaming as a tank engine alongside number 20!

Whilst looking I re-acquainted myself with the story of No.115 - the inspiration for 'Thomas Down the Mine' - technically it is still in existence, just 200 feet below the ground!

Lets get the shovels then and get digging ha! :D

Well IRS 15EL (2009) gives the location as Carnforth, whilst "Surviving Steam in the British Isles" (Mundy, LCGB 2011) as East Lancashire Railway, Bury.

Thanks Eddie! Lets hope in time the locos location is L&HR and not some pres line where the loco has no connection.

Matt

I believe it was purchased by Bert Hitchin, he of Taw Valley and 45231 fame to name his latest projects. I believe Bert purchased it as his retirement project so I have no doubts that it'll be worked on sooner rather than later. 45231 I think is ooop north on Jacobite duty and so is probably occupying a certain amount of Bert's time, however it was also put up for sale recently although I don't believe any announcements have been made to date.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

I believe it was purchased by Bert Hitchin, he of Taw Valley and 45231 fame to name his latest projects. I believe Bert purchased it as his retirement project so I have no doubts that it'll be worked on sooner rather than later. 45231 I think is ooop north on Jacobite duty and so is probably occupying a certain amount of Bert's time, however it was also put up for sale recently although I don't believe any announcements have been made to date.

Cheers

Paul

Ah right thanks for the info there! :D

No doubt this locos just going to appear out the blue in a few years time lol

Matt

Thanks Eddie! Lets hope in time the locos location is L&HR and not some pres line where the loco has no connection.

Matt

Hello Matt,

I don' that will happen as the Company and the society had a bit of a fall out not that long ago.

She was at the old Steam town museum a few years back.

OzzyO.

Hello Matt,

I don' that will happen as the Company and the society had a bit of a fall out not that long ago.

She was at the old Steam town museum a few years back.

OzzyO.

Hi Ozzy, i know about that but that fallout was with the guys who own FR20, FR25 is from what i can gather owned by one man who has a loco collection, so therefore she could end up on L&HR someday...

Thanks Matt

• 10 years later...

Hi all .

New to this site. Furness loco mentioned was at Carnforth being rebuilt.My self and the late Bert Hitchen worked on  it forapprox two years [ when time permitted allowed by 45231 duties ] The number stamped on frames and most jangley bits 17 as i remember. It was very solidly built and i certainly liked it. As built i believe it was an 0-6-0 and who ever purchsed it should have some of my spanners. New boiler was to be  but that is all history now. Is anyone able to tell me where the loco is now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This was in 2018: https://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/4461/furness-0-4-0-saddle-tank-no-25-goes-home-to-trust/; presumably this dates from the same time: http://www.furnessrailwaytrust.org.uk/bhsco17.htm. The Furness Railway Trust has a blog: http://www.furnessrailwaytrust.org.uk/about/blog/ - I couldn't quickly find anything recent about No. 25.

2 hours ago, Neil- bubbles said:

Hi all .

New to this site. Furness loco mentioned was at Carnforth being rebuilt.My self and the late Bert Hitchen worked on  it forapprox two years [ when time permitted allowed by 45231 duties ] The number stamped on frames and most jangley bits 17 as i remember. It was very solidly built and i certainly liked it. As built i believe it was an 0-6-0 and who ever purchsed it should have some of my spanners. New boiler was to be  but that is all history now. Is anyone able to tell me where the loco is now.

Furnace 25 was always an 0-4-0. For history see history see link 

15 hours ago, Neil- bubbles said:

Hi all .

12 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Furnace 25 was always an 0-4-0. For history see history see link 

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I took that to be a typo. I would imagine that anyone who had taken a spanner to it would know how many wheels it had!

In his post reproduced above 'Neil- bubbles' said it had been built as an 0-6-0, hence my post. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

In his post reproduced above 'Neil- bubbles' said it had been built as an 0-6-0, hence my post. 

He's a new member making his first post; he has direct experience of working on the locomotive. As such, my feeling is that he ought to be given some lee-way. If I had had a response like that to a first post, I might not have made a second. As it happens, he hasn't yet been back, so there is time to re-think.