Brocklesby Station- can i scratchbuild it?

JJT

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any information about Brocklesby, lincs

I am making an N gauge model of the station and i need some info about the locomotives and rolling stock that would have run in the late 50's/early 60's.

I have got an allocation list of the nearby Immingham Docks MPD, I am only 12 so a visit is not permitted by the mother :lol_mini:.

I would like some plans of the station and the buildings would be very helpfull.

Thanks,

JJT

Others will be better informed and have photos , but here goes.

Opened 1848 , almost first part of the Manchester , Sheffeild & Lincolnshire Rly , (later the Great Central when its Chairman got megalomanical delusions of commercial grandeur - Manchester to Calais all under his Chairmanship and his own Eiffel Tower counts as megalomania, I think...)

Hence the pretty little mock Tudor station building (listed). Fourtracked 1912 to cater for expansion in traffic with the opening of the GC's new dock at Immingham. The line round the back of the station building was fenced off , the other side was an island platform with a signal box , so 3 platforms at Brocklesby. Closed in the early 1990s, when BR concluded that most of the local passenger services went up the Barton branch , the rest were heading for Doncaster and Manchester or Newark and Birmingham and too important to stop there, and that those who actually wanted to travel could perfectly well drive to either Ulceby or Barnetby , a mile or two away and get a much better service

Locos for 1950s / early 60s? In OO, a lot of work. In N , serious problems. Being ex GC , and ex LNER , it had ex GC and LNER locos. A lot of which featured in the LNER Consensus thread and various wishlists as things the RTR manufacturers should do in OO - but don't...... In N , they aren't even on a wishlist

Freight - lots of Robinson O4s (2-8-0s) . The preserved one was withdrawn from Frodingham (Scunthorpe) in early 1966. Available in OO from Bachmann but not in N . B1s (which I think are available in N) on passenger. J11 s (Robinson 0-6-0s) exGC on lighter freight and summer weekend Cleethorpes holiday trains from Sheffield . D11 Director 4-4-0s . We hope for a RTR model in OO - I don't know if there's even a kit in N. Frodingham shed had WD 2-8-0s until early 1966 - I assume they went to Immingham...

If you've got an Immingham (40B / IM) allocation list - ignore the Britannias. They were for the Grimsby/Kings Cross expresses down the E Lincolnshire line . The K3s were for Grimsby fish trains - some down the E Lincs , but some I think via Brocklesby and Barnetby . You need lots of Blue Spot fish vans for that . Ignore the J94s and diesel shunters - those were for shunting in the dock complexes at Immingham and Grimsby.

Rolling stock - probably a mixture of Mk 1 coaches and Gresley coaches, which are at least available in N. I don't know exactly when the local services were dieselised , but the Derby Heavyweight DMUs (class 114) arrived in 1957 and I've seen an early photo of one at Sheffield - I presume it came from Grimsby via Barnetby/Brocklesby . Nobody does a cl 114 in N (even in OO there's only a kit , and I haven't actually built mine) . But a cl 108 Derby Lightweight makes a plausible substitute

With the very greatest respect, JJT , this is far beyond you at present, certainly as far as stock is concerned. To be honest , its probably beyond a lot of modellers of any age in OO , and the vast majority of modellers if it was N. Lots of kitbuilt and scratchbuilt stock .

What might be possible , if you really want to model Brocklesby, would be to do it 1985-90 . No steam engines - but you could run class 56 and class 60 diesels , blue class 31/4s with 5 Mk1/Mk2 coaches on Cleethorpes - Manchester/Liverpool trains, and Grimsby/Newark giving way to class 158s on the Manchester and class 150 on Newark . Class 108 pretending to be cl 114 on locals maybe a Cravens cl 105, a few class 20s. Block oil trains from Immingham - I remember seeing one pound through Mkt Rasen one night when I was learning to drive - 2 blue 31s and a long series of bogie TEAs. I can't remember exactly when the 153s appeared in Lincolnshire , but they'd not be out of place. Almost eveything is available RTR in N , and big modern stuff is what N gauge seems to be good at.

Hope this helps, and isn't too discouraging

Hello JJT :)

I have got an allocation list of the nearby Immingham Docks MPD, I am only 12 so a visit is not permitted by the mother :lol_mini:.I would like some plans of the station and the buildings would be very helpfull.

Where abouts do you live? If you're within an easy drive a site visit would be a very good idea as it'll give you a feel for the place and how it fits in the landscape locally. Plus lots of trains to see :D Only thing I'm not sure about is access to any of the buildings - I'm not sure how close you'll be able to go without trespassing.

Geograph has some excellent photos on it!

1915959_0e89e2e3.jpg

Image Copyright Ben Brooksbank. This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic Licence. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.

The gallery for TA1113 has a good few of the station -

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TA1113

And that for TA1213 has a couple of the Junction itself -

http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/TA1213

Others will be better informed

I'd say you're pretty well informed Rav! :)

Not much I can add to that lot really! But you can get a Director in N from Union Mills and Foxhunter Kits (though I'm not sure on availablity of these) provide kits for the Robinson 04 and the WD 2-8-0 which are key locos for North Lincolnshire post war. However North Lincolnshire was a very busy place during this time and you'd need a fleet of large freight locos to be convincing.

Subsequent years have seen much rationalisation of the track layouts in the area although its still quite a busy place for freight thanks to the steelworks in Scunthorpe. The Model Railway Planning and Design Handbook contains a large plan for an N gauge layout which covers various parts of North Lincolnshire but I'm sure that the Brocklesby portion could be used as the basis for a smaller layout. There are a few copies available on Amazon for decent prices at the moment - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Railway-Planning-Design-Handbook/dp/0953844854

My preference would be to either model the station in either the early - mid nineties or pretty much up to date. The only thing missing for an up to date model would be the Class 185 units, but otherwise numerous Class 66s and modern coal wagons are readily available.

Thanks alot for the information, it will help a bundle, and the rolling stock will be a problem so i think kit built will be my best option, but I have searched high and low on the internet for track-plans but they are non-exsistant, so could you help me out.

Regards,

JJT

Hi all,

does anyone have any plans of Brocklesby Station buildings in north lincs? It would really help my layout because I don't think that a similar R-T-R building exisists.

If anyone has any plans or reference pictures that would be very helpfull, even better would be if someone could scratch-build it i would have to see good pictures and would be willing to pay up to £15 max,

Regards,

JJT

Hi all,

does anyone have any plans of Brocklesby Station buildings in north lincs? It would really help my layout because I don't think that a similar R-T-R building exisists.

If anyone has any plans or reference pictures that would be very helpfull, even better would be if someone could scratch-build it i would have to see good pictures and would be willing to pay up to £15 max,

Regards,

JJT

On the basis that someone scratch building the station for you would be quite justified in charging £40 plus per hour, I don't think your £15 will go very far!

What enquiries have you already made, what books have you already looked in?

Phil

Once upon a time before my hair went silver I used to pass through Broklesby Station. As I remember it you could probably spend a lifetime just building the chimneys. To answer your question, I suspect that if you were to contact the Yarbourgh Estate or the local historical society, you could get everything you need since the station was specifically built for one of the Lord Yarbourghs with all sorts of rights and conditions.

Hi JJT,

I've merged the two topics as they're around the same theme.

Good luck with the project; nice to see a comparative youngster researching prototype locations and information; I know the £15 won't go far but maybe it's worth going on a journey of exploration as to how you could make the buildings yourself at minimal cost. Sites such as Scalescenes.com and cg textures.com may be a help in sourcing materials that could give you a leg-up.

I have searched high and low on the internet for track-plans but they are non-exsistant, so could you help me out.

This might be of use -

http://www.lymmobservatory.net/railways/sbdiagrams/brocklesby_junction.jpg

It from this site here. Sometimes if you search for signalling diagrams you'll find a good track plan. Some are more diagram-like but ones like this give a very good idea of not only the track layout but also how it actually appears. Plus it shows exactly where all the signals go! I'm not sure on the date and the site doesn't seem to give one but it looks fifties/sixties to me.

Hope that helps :)

I'm beggining to love old-maps.co.uk

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Search for Brocklesby click on the bottom right corner of the triangle then choose the 1:2500 scale maps. Enhanced zoom and you can get a good look at the track plan for a variety of years :) (1887, 1907, 1932, 1969, and a partial map of 1986). The 1:10,000 isn't so good but still can be used.

Only thing I'm not sure about is access to any of the buildings - I'm not sure how close you'll be able to go without trespassing.

I think the closest you can get to the buildings is the road bridge; but according to the OS there is a footpath running parallel to the railway about 100m to the north, from which you might be able to get some idea of the platform side of the station building.

Archived