RMweb

steve fay

Steve

Why seal it?

Even dull cote will take away some of the subtle differences in colour and texture - and these differences will weather with your loco.

I've never varnished any of mine. I have lost the odd transfer, but only one or two over the years (and in at least one case, that was some contamination on the paint, because the replacement came off too) and I reckon it's worth the risk. And you've always got the opportunity to add a bit of texture or colour at some point in the future.

Just a thought

Best

Simon

Question to both:

When you weather a diesel, do you strip it into body and chassis, or leave it as is?

And more importantly, do you remove the glazing?

The last loco I weathered was a J36 in P4.

Question to both:

When you weather a diesel, do you strip it into body and chassis, or leave it as is?

And more importantly, do you remove the glazing?

The last loco I weathered was a J36 in P4.

If you are only going to have one or two Heljan diesels, I would go for a professional weathering job, costs money I know, but, could save you a lot of aggro if you get it wrong (Not saying you would of course) - These Loco's are a hefty Investment and I for one would not want to mess it up - Just a Thought.

Cheers, Bob.

Edited by bobster

Home use only I'm afraid, it's to big for me to transport about. I will keep you up to date on here with all my progress. The OO gauge version is very good and I believe now belongs to Lord and butler model shop. It was built by Paul Rolley who is a member on here.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Steve, I thought that would be the case and can't blame you. I've been reading through the blog and you have done a tremendous job, the westerns and hymeks have always been my favourites and your models are superb. Thanks for up dating me on the 00 gauge version and for letting me know that Paul is on here, I will seek him out.

• Like 1

Hi Steve. I saw the 00 version of Ranleigh bridge at Derby roundhouse last year and was most impressed I think they were from Cardiff area, my question is will you be showing your layout once it's finished or I will it be for home use only?

He'll finish it, have it in a couple of mags and sell if for loadsadosh.

Then build another, different location...right Steve?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Glad you got the glazing replaced ok.

You are like a whirlwind, at least 3 layouts that I know of, on the go at the same time!!!

This one is going to look special with those Castles, Halls, Westerns and Warships milling around.

Jinty ;)

Thanks David I'm a prolific layout builder!!! Are there monthly meetings for such an affliction?? Severn tunnel east will be sold on although Gaer junction will be mine and that's besides the HO North American project!!