For really tall trees use wire for the trunks and big branches, then sea moss for the finer branches. Cover wire trunk with DAS clay, you can use steel cable chopped to length and then un twisted or loops of fine beading wire like an armature tree. These work out even less than sea moss and use up all the off cuts from your smaller trees.

The insomnia paid off on the last round of scenic work, it's looking really good.

Hey,

Thanks for the comment and the tree making tip. I've wanted to try that method out for a while. I'm hoping I don't need too many more trees for this layout, but I'll definatly be using that method on the next one. I think it will give a lot more choice to the type of tree being modelled as opposed to seafoam where its more a case of basing it on the shape of the pieces in the box.

Those new trees are looking especially good. At this rate you'll have a forest by the time I come up in a couple of weeks!

Thanks Steve. Your little 08 should hopefully feel dwarfed exiting the portal onto the yard lines. :D

Those trees are coming on nicely however you might want to remove the lowest branches of some of them.

Thanks Kris. I shall removed some of the lower branches and perhaps - looking at pictures - some of the mid height branches in places too. I'll need to think carefully about the ground litter mind, as this is likely to be more visible now :)

Regards

Lee

Hey all

Been out with the dog most of the day but did manage to make up a couple of test trees earlier.

2012-02-10172116.jpg

2012-02-10172131.jpg

2012-02-10172144.jpg

Would be interested to hear what you all think of these :)

I only have another 17 to flock! (I think a trip to the model shop is needed for more flock)

Regards

Lee :)

Well I'm no good at behaving!

I was supposed to wait until tomorrow to start planting trees but I couldn't help myself!

2012-02-10203830.jpg

2012-02-10203851.jpg

2012-02-10203932.jpg

2012-02-10203950.jpg

2012-02-10204036.jpg

A few photos while the 47 held up the headshunt moving an empty ballast rake.

Plenty more trees to go but after a couple of hours around the hairspray, I'm good for the break! Hopefully this gives a good idea of where this is going .

Tomorrow I hope to get a little more done on the static grass along the front of the layout, then on Sunday I'll be digging into the plasticard while the other half goes back to work.

Thanks for reading! Comments most welcome :)

Regards

Lee

Thanks guys!

I'm certainly happier with their look over the last 5 that I removed for relocation. There is another 10 of these for me to flock and 'plant' - hopefully today - and I think it will only improve the scene! It should be enough trees to fill that corner and the slope leading up to the portal entry. I may have to buy another box and cover the whole hill in trees but that may be too much. I guess I can only judge once I've planted the next lot.

Regards

A few more trees planted until I ran out of hairspray!

2012-02-11160930.jpg

Sorry for the cruddy photo. Didn't realise it was so bad until it hit the computer.. Another 6 trees waiting to go up but I'll probably run out of foliage before I get them done. Still wondering if I should take the trees right over the tunnel. What do you all think?

I've turned my attention to the portal with a bit more of the coarse turf.

2012-02-11160943.jpg

2012-02-11161001.jpg

2012-02-11161033.jpg

I'm either on the right track (no pun intended) or going OTT with this. Not sure which yet. Comments welcome!

Regards

i think that you should leave the tunnel mouth alone now, it looks really good, adding more would spoil it.

really liking this layout.

but don't hold me to what i first said !

Hey, Thanks for the comments :)

I've taken a break from greenery today and after peeling myself away from choosing my airbrush kit off the internet, I got into some plastic work.

2012-02-12172019.jpg

2012-02-12172105.jpg

2012-02-12172148.jpg

I've started the station from scratch, applying some of the hints & tips I learnt the first time around. This time the corners are better and the roof gives the structure, instead of building everything in double layers. I've been using a jar of polycement which has been easier to apply, but I've had a couple of accidents with. Nothing that cannot be hidden with some weathering and carefully considered scenery :D

It's not the best model in the world (it's not even very square) but it certainly feels more rewarding to build it myself :D I've got a ratio gutter pack to add which - by chance- is exactly the right length! There is quite a bit more structure to add to the model yet, and I may add the side building again as I did before. For the time being, a break fro the polycement is needed!

Think I'll move onto the PVA next :D

Oh, added a bit more detail to my coal bagging hopper. Still doing a bit of research on these before I make 3 or 4 to form the core of my coal yard. Should hopefully get the airbrush in time to paint em! :D

2012-02-12173507.jpg

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee,

Looks like an excellent start to the structures. I always cop out and buy ready to plant stuff!

I bet you need a steady hand for N gauge too - The first picture looks good, the best compliment I can give you is that it looks like OO gauge - very good. The other good thing about building your own is that it gives your layout that 'different/unique' feel.

Airbrushes are certainly cheaper nowadays. I used to do some modelling in my youth (plastic not catwalk!) and I could never dream of owning one. I got one for christmas last year for £85 off a famous aution web-site. Two airbrushes and a compresser!

All the best,

James

Hey, thanks for the compliments!

There is a lot of work to do to shape it all up properly yet. I had to take a break as there's only so like I like to hover over the glue LOL!

I'm not too great with the steady hand side of things, but with scoring before cutting it helps equal things out a bit. I've got some trims to add to the roof lines and some guttering work.I wasn't happy with the lintels last time so I need to give them some thought. Then there are a couple of porch-like sections to add a bit of detail to the station. (basing it loosely on the Blaenau Ffestiniog building)

It's the unique side of the sctatch building that I like the idea of. That and the fact it can be made to fit the layout, instead of the layout being designed to fit the 'RTP' stuff.

As for the Airbrush, I imagine I'm looking at a similar package to you - probably the same website too lol!

I have been debating if I need one with a tank or not. It doesn't seen necassery for N gauge, but still I don't wanna find pulsing to be come a problem, as the only fix is buying a new compressor with a tank.

I'm deffinatly after an airbrush with the smallest nozzle/needle possible. At least 0.2mm. The ones I'm looking at seem to come with a range of interchangable needles which is cool. Should be able to get all the bells and whistles (minus a spray booth) for abotu £130, which isn't too bad at all :D

How are you finding your airbrush / compressor?

Lee :D

the advice I got with regards to airbrushes was to get one with a tank as it gives a better and more consistent supply of air, having used one for graphic design work while at college I can vouch for it.

the one I have been advised to get was http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/2373_1_1288611.html although I was advised by a branch of Antics, the manager himself uses one for detailing plastic truck kits.

i'm still on cans of air and a cheap badger airbrush.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Lee

That building is looking good so far!

With regard to airbrushes, I still use my 12 year old Badger 200 with a compressor I picked up second hand years ago.

I would say the needle size, or spec, isn't too important. The most crucial thing is getting the paint mix right. Too thin, and it won't cover or it will run, too thick and it will spatter. And the thickness you need varies, in my experience, between colours, brands and according to temperature. Just practice getting this right and all else is a doddle!

Having said that, once you start using one you'll wonder how you ever managed without! For weathering, I use powders, washes and airbrushing to get the right variety of effects, but airbrushing is by some margin the most useful and subtle!

Also, you will soon become an expert at masking - and there is no better masking tape IMO than Tamiya.

Have fun!

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks for the advice chaps!

I've been cleaver enough to buy a book on the subject before the tools (for once) and got George Dent's handbook on the subject. The book suggested there was little need to for the tank on N gauge and not necassery for 00 really, as there wouldn't be much demand on the airflow to induce pulsing. That's my main concern with the compressor really though I guess logic implies to get the btter compressor and be ready for when I win the lottery and start modelling in 0 Gauge! (I can dream!)

Ben I'm interested in your comment regarding needle size/spec...I thought I'd need a finer needle setup to work with the smaller gauge? What spec airbrush are you using on your N gauge if you don't mind me asking? Agreed the mix of paint does seem to be critical with all the comments and chapters I've read on the subject :)

Did a bit more on the station building yesterday in the way of smartening up the roof a little and adding a sort of rooftrim/gutter-like detail. Think I'll save the downpipes until I've done some paintwork mind.

I'm in two minds if I should cove the whole front area in static grass, or if I should hold off a bit of it to add variety...choices choices! That's the hardest part of this hobby! :P

Regards

Just a few progress photos (we all love photos :P)

As I mentioned earlier, I cleaned up the roof on my station using some slaters rod lengths. It'll all blend in nicely once it's painted.

2012-02-13184007.jpg

I managed to make a major mess-up of my hillside ealier when I started glueing down a hedge, then changed my mind about where it should go! DOH!!

Alas, a mistake can be turned into an opportunity :D I laid the hedge where I decided I wanted it, a couple of inches forward and noticed the formation of a little alley way. With a bit of extra hedge laying, and another botch scratch build, I found myself with a neat little gate and scene to break up the hillside.

2012-02-13183907.jpg

2012-02-13183946.jpg

I did build the gate to cross the lane, but forgot to take the slope into account, so now at it's new angle, it's a little short. No bother, I'll just have to make another one! I'll have to do a little bit of texture work on the groundcover now, but it will hopefully shape up ok.

So the overal scene on this end is coming together now. I few mor trees possibly extending up to the hedge and gate to finish filling it, then I really must spend some time working down the layout!

2012-02-13183852.jpg

2012-02-13184020.jpg

So, some static grass and plenty of plastic work to get on with. I've got to figure out how to make my little carpark and engineers lockup. Keep putting it off.

As a distraction, I keep finding myself down the railway "walking the dog" so for those with a more modern theme, I'll share some pics :D

66731.jpg

86614.jpg

92026.jpg

350254.jpg

390039.jpg

TescoFlyer.jpg

Honest, I was walking the dog! :D

5.jpg

Regards

Great shot of the 86!

You know what this layout needs?

Sheep.

Haha, Don't tell Tracy that, or I'll have her trying to fill the darn thing with sheep! I was actually thinking of doing a cattle grid like the ones we went over on the pass road out of Blaenavon...Thankfully I came to my sences before I started carving up the board! Thinking about it though, it would have been a bit more original......(ponders)

Nice progress on the layout Lee, i like the lane with the gate, the whole scene is coming together really nicely. And excellent set of photo's of the WCML, That pendolino shot is brilliant.

Cheers

Graham.

Thanks Graham.

As I say, it was a bit of an accident, but the results are a bonus and it fills the corner without cramping it. As for the photos, I do like the challenge of capturing a pendolino in focus at speed!

While I wait for freight trains, I set myself tasks to capture the nameplates or pantographs in focus. Nameplates are quite easy now, but getting a panto in focus at 100mph+ is a whole diff kettle a fish! One day I'll get that lucky shot, all in focus as the line arks with the panto....one day :D

I'm not sure you need to build a new gate, just a little bit more growth up to the edges of it, or fencing disappearing into the greenery.

Very true! I've been meaning to make some fencing for the lower end that will mingle with the hedge. There tends to be a fence burried in the hedges around here anyway...Perhaps a bit of a fence extension is the way forward. Something to play with tomorrow :D

Regards

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e63227a2a

Hi Lee,

This is the kit I bought. BUT I am no expert on airbrushes and I have only used it to spray track so far!

But the compressor does have a tank and is very quiet and easy to use. I can't say how much use the tank is, it just means that the compressor only kicks in every now and then as the pressure in tank drops.

You could always add a better airbrush later if you found the supplied ones to be too cheap.

I'm sure some people will say you get what you pay for - and I'm sure they are right most of the time. Trouble is I have limited access to shops stocking this type of stuff in North Devon. I'm sure it will cover my needs - and the compressor is probably worth a lot of the 85 quid alone.

Cheers,

James

Archived