Rare N gauge

Elvinley

There are another 4 under bidding at £100 in GWR livery, a 5 coach set in S&D livery also at £100 and a 4 coach S&D set at £80 - all from the same seller maybe he bought a load and is now trickling them back into Ebay at premium prices .

Just because the lister is saying they are rare doesn't make them so,

They come up a lot on Ebay along with the generic bogie branch/suburban coaches and the generic mainline coaches, good for filling out coach fleets on pre-nationalisation models, I've also seen them at toy fairs. The current listings though on Ebay are mainly the recent stuff - even the older style Mark 1s are thinning out.

There seems to be short spates on Ebay of crazy bidding on some items that quickly become more readily available and then lose their value. I think people see how much they are going for and then put those items up for sale.

Some examples in the last few months include:

Autocoaches

Teak Gresleys

GWR livery Terrier

Pullman 73

4 wheel coaches

6 wheel tank wagons

N gauge society items (often currently available from NGS)

Union Mills (often currently available from UM)

• RMweb Premium

N gauge society items (often currently available from NGS)

The exclusive NGS stuff that ends up on eBay quite often either goes for, or has a "buy it now" price which is more than it would cost to buy the model from the NGS, even if that involved getting a year's subscription too.

Why would anyone spend x pounds on a model when for less cash they can have the model and 6 Journals, each 100 pages long in full colour together with access to the NGS shop. :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah the NGS products are mad....

I'm a member of the NGS and to be honest about £16? £18? whatever it is for a Stove R from the NGS is a lot better than paying some of the excruciating prices I have seen them go for on eBay...

question re: pre grouping liveries.

the S&D 4w carriages can go for a lot of money, as seen, however, do the engines warrent such a high value as well? I have seen S&D 4-4-0's go for about £80 and I don't even think that the Ramsey's value is that high?

• 1 month later...

The S&D coaches and 4P are definitely rarer than the Caledonians; although the Caledonian 4 wheel coaches seem a lot less common that the bogies.

£75 - £80 seems to be the going rate for either of the blue 4Ps.

Are they worth it? Good question ...

If you bide your time, however, you definitely DON'T have to pay £40+ each for the coaches.

Other rare coaches are the very early farish 4-wheelers in single-colour plastic: green, maroon, brown and "teak", with or without class number transfers on the compartment doors. These were the first Farish coaches. The "teaks" are FAR more common than the other three. Yet when they come up on Ebay you can usually have them for a pretty modest price, as the demand for them does not seem to be there.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived