The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Cinema

AMJ

When you look at the post WWII period you could give people directions by saying when you get to Cinema X turn, just like you can with the few pubs that exist.

In the 1980's during school holidays gran used to take us to one of the many cinemas in Leeds. I think that I have seen films in all of the famous ones Lounge, Cottage Road and Hyde Park that still exist today. Film buffs class these 3 as the last classic local picture houses. The Lounge closed in 2005 unfortunately! Hyde Park is run by a Leeds City Council company that owns The Grand Theater and world famous City Varieties. Cottage Road claims to be one of the last independents still running.

A daft thought I had was as many of the small (and some medium ones) have closed to be replaced by out of town multiplexes do we have more or less screens now?

Plus show us your cinemas (real and model) there are some classic buildings still out there (even some stunning interiors).

Cottage Road Hyde Park

We still have a 2 screen flea pit in the town

Not an orignal theatre, but hardly a multiplex...

It does however, have 3D, digital projection and for that little extra, when the sound gets cranked up, all the seats rattle and dust floats down from the rafters !

Owned by Reel Cinemas, it has seen some investment and always shows first run films.

Ice creams are only £1 each as well.

Archived