Sandford & Banwell

ullypug

• RMweb Premium

On a recent trip to collect the monthly ration from Thatchers, I popped in to the recently refurbished Sandford station. For those who don't know, this was on the Yatton - Wells branch (ex Bristol & Exeter, GWR & BR (W) region. The former owner of the site went bust and the site's been redeveloped as a retirement village. They've done a really good job of it. The short length of track, mark 1 and wagons are a nice touch. I think the goods shed is some form of community hall type space (please feel free to enlighten me if you're in the know). They're restored the inside of the station building too. It wasn't open alas when I went, but the ticket office & waiting room have been properly fitted out. Well worth a visit. Oh and the Railway pub is now a Thatchers local toodrinks.gif

post-6673-0-56685900-1307305580_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-81543900-1307305599_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-94284300-1307305643_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-78353700-1307305678_thumb.jpg

post-6673-0-63905700-1307305699_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this thread.

This weeks local paper carries a report of the official opening of the Sandford Railway Heritage Centre.

At the official opening a tree was planted by the great-grand daughter of the woman who cut the first sod

in 1867, she used the same silver spade to plant a Cypress tree.

The centre, which is located on the St. Monica Trust care village site in Station Road

is open 11.00 - 15.00 on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Admission is free.

cheers

• RMweb Premium

There is an extraordinary story concerning the lamp hut shown in the first photo. I quote from Steaming Through the Cheddar Valley by Derek Phillips

Approximately three years before the closure of the Cheddar Valley line, three loaded wagons of ballast ran away from the quarry, down through the goods shed and smashed the lamp hut on the platform. Under the original deeds of the line with the Bishopric of Bath and Wells, the lamp hut was completely rebuilt to the original 1860s plans, including the intricate barge boards, roof ends and finials.

Andy

• 1 month later...

I was involved with the works to this site and I attach a few photos of the site before works started. The station building, lamp room, goods shed and stationmasters house were all in fairly good order. I was amazed to find the ticket window still in place some 40 years after the last ticket had been sold!

post-707-0-82174400-1312639632_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-70708500-1312639659_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-51963800-1312639691_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-32070600-1312639715_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-05841800-1312639753_thumb.jpg

post-707-0-18327300-1312639805_thumb.jpg

And if you go to the far end (Winscombe end) on the outside of the plot you'll find this.

p3042235.jpg

p3042237.jpg

p3042236.jpg

The gate is at the entrance to the private section of track that went upto Sandford quarry, it's still in situe and attached to it gate post.

• 1 year later...

Certainly a day of enlightenment for me - I only live a few miles from this wonderful Station and I was totally unawares that it had benefited from a superb renovation. My last visit there was in a vain attempt to redeem all the vouchers for 'Sanford Stone Products', the previous owners of the site, that had been given to my wife and I as requested wedding presents.

I travelled the line many times as a schoolboy living at Cheddar and was always puzzled by the different stone used on the Buildings for Sandford and Banwell Station, it's not the usual Mendip Limestone found at the quarries located at Cheddar, Shipham and Wookey. There is, or was, a local quarry at Sandford with a rail link to the Station but I cannot recall seeing any 'red stone' being carried in the waggons on the few occasions that the number 43 Bus was being held up for as it crossed the main road. Such stone material is to be found in the Taunton, Minehead, Bridgwater 'triangle' but why would the builder transport it such a great distance when a local product was readily available

The reason for me finding this site was due to an internet search trying to find if the Quarries at Cheddar had any Private Owners Waggons around 1900 - 1925. I know that there is a 2mm scale Waggon produced for enthusiasts of that scale but the name on the Waggon does not ring correctly with me. If anyone can push me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Anyway, congratulations to all those involved in carrying out such a task and to an excellent standard - now I need to find out when it is likely to be open (found it above!!!)

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was involved with the works to this site and I attach a few photos of the site before works started. The station building, lamp room, goods shed and stationmasters house were all in fairly good order. I was amazed to find the ticket window still in place some 40 years after the last ticket had been sold!

Does anyone have any more photos of the station masters house?

It looks perfect for my strawberry line inspired layout...

In particular I'd like to know what the other sides were like, and an idea on the overall length.

Is it still there as part of the preservation? Looking on google maps I couldn't make it out

• RMweb Gold

As I said looking at maps and the stations website I can't tell if the building I am interested in is actually there

Would be a bit foolish to drive for 1.5 hours to get one photo without knowing for certain

Particularly if its possible to get one online...

• RMweb Premium

Have you tried the local authority planning portal website? All planning applications and their supporting drawings are generally available online as pdf. I don't know about Sandford, but the Station Master's house in Cheddar had some work done and hence there are drawings of it on line! 

Sandford will be North Somerset Council by the way

Cheddar is either Sedgemoor or Mendip DC.

• 1 year later...

Last month I made a visit here on a sunny afternoon, and spent a pleasant hour or so looking around.

The volunteers were friendly and quite knowledgeable and helped to explain some of the exhibits.

There are limited teas coffees drinks and snacks available, as well as toilet facilities.

They also have a limited selection of books about the line for sale. 

Here are a couple of photos of the interior of the museum.

The coach in the earlier photos is former BSK 34980, latterly renumbered 70826 and part of a 4TC set.

post-7081-0-38064800-1401884149.jpg

post-7081-0-01944500-1401884157.jpg

edit  The goods shed has now been sympathetically extended and is now part of the communal restaurant complex for residents and not part of the museum 

cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yesterday I walked from Cheddar to Sandford along the Strawberry line

and a very enjoyable day ended with surprise that the Sentinel shunter has now arrived at Sandford.

A similar loco to this formerly worked at Sandford Quarry shunting loaded stone wagons down to Sandford and Banwell Station.  

post-7081-0-05205500-1458126582_thumb.jpg

A view of the loco in position at the station

post-7081-0-86458500-1458126596_thumb.jpg

Former Roads Reconstruction Frome no 789/2 built in 1947 this loco was latterly a gate guardian at Tytherington Quarry

and has now been cosmetically restored,

The museum will be open at weekends from April to October I believe,

cheers 

Archived