3d Printed 501?

Hi All,

I have just spent the best part of the evening playing with Google Sketchup and I think I have managed to produce a passable shell for a Mk1 suburban. The plan is to get a 501 drawn up and then we can have them printed, so we can all work to the same standard. Ideally (i.e if I finish this and it works) I would ike to have a crack at some of the other DC lines units too. Any comments would be appreciated, and if anyone has any ideas how to cut windows and doors in Sketchup it would be helpful!

post-8704-0-96527400-1307313534_thumb.jpg

PS. I can't get the threepenny bit end either. Any ideas?

Great idea for a project - a little late in the day for me now thought. I think 3D printing looks very promising however to the points you have raised I really need some good CAD/CAM drawings as a starting point (assuming you do not have them already). I am not sure to what level of detail you can currently achieve with 3D printing and I have seen some pictures of some reasonable looking models but just the basic shape with some windows details etc. Using Replica Cabs and bodies you can make a decent looking 501 - Gareth Hayes (of Replica) has already made a 501 DMBS which looks very good - While I think it is a great idea maybe it is easier to take the Replica route with the 501 at least

I do however think there is a potential opening for a model of an ex LNWR Oerlikon EMU (or even an LMS Compartment set) to be made this way and there maybe a small market for these units which were very popular with passengers in their day. Grant Anderson of Twickenham club has sources details and has 7mm drawings of a 3 car Oerlikon.

PS. I have a solution to modelling the window bars on 501's and will publish some details on RMweb shortly

Xerces Fobe

I agree that an Oerlikon or Siemens set are preferable. The only reason I went for the 501 was that I had a drawing in front of me last night, and I still think that having one made specially avoids the faff of cutting and shutting Replica parts. If this is successful, I will probably attack the oerlikon next as we really need some for Harford Street. I want to do some LT stock too. I'm really tempted to do a Watford joint stock set. I'm going to have another look at it now before going off to do some proper work. I will put a progress report on later.

What's wrong with the London Road Models Oerlikon etches?

Nothing whatsoever in fact I was working on my Oerlikon earlier tonight however it is not a complete kit and there are no drawings or instructions which makes it a bit of a challenge. This is not a criticism of the kit as the it was clearly explained to me by London Road Models what I was purchasing.

Xerces Fobe

With 57ft subs available from Bachmann in N Gauge you could join the cut and shut a Class 501 club!:pleasantry:

Xerces Fobe

Can you get Replica to downsize to 2mm to get the driving ends then?:)

Latest update...

Following a rather embassasing incident that resulted in an 8 compartment DBSO(!) And the realisation that Sketchup doesn't take kindly to people making mistakes and trying to alter them later, I have re-drawn the DM and come up with the following.I still have to add some thickness to the sides and add the door detail, but it is definitely recognisable as a 501 now.

post-8704-0-39754100-1307638811_thumb.jpg

Latest update...

Following a rather embassasing incident that resulted in an 8 compartment DBSO(!) And the realisation that Sketchup doesn't take kindly to people making mistakes and trying to alter them later, I have re-drawn the DM and come up with the following.I still have to add some thickness to the sides and add the door detail, but it is definitely recognisable as a 501 now.

post-8704-0-39754100-1307638811_thumb.jpg

Looking good, Charlie. We'll have to get a few of them on Harford Street.;)

NO, NO, YES, YES, Actually, thats really looking good, I will be adding my own jumper cables and front detail, as these are printed on for my 501 'N' scale model . :yes:

I am thinking about seeing just how fine detail this new technology can handle, and seeing just how far I can push the software. Has anyone else here had any experience of this? I was wondering whether the 3D printers are fine enough to print the jumpers out so that they are attached to the front at the sockets, but are otherwise unconnected to the vehicle. I am wondering if I can print the window bars and door detail too, then all I have to do is spray it and mount it on the underframe.

This is really only a test to see what can be done with 3D printing. Don't be surprised if nothing comes of it, or if I have to backtrack a long way and go back to traditional methods of adding detail. I'm just lazy really, and if I can get something produced which will go together like an airfix kit or easier I will be a happy man!

I am thinking about seeing just how fine detail this new technology can handle, and seeing just how far I can push the software. Has anyone else here had any experience of this? I was wondering whether the 3D printers are fine enough to print the jumpers out so that they are attached to the front at the sockets, but are otherwise unconnected to the vehicle. I am wondering if I can print the window bars and door detail too, then all I have to do is spray it and mount it on the underframe.

This is really only a test to see what can be done with 3D printing. Don't be surprised if nothing comes of it, or if I have to backtrack a long way and go back to traditional methods of adding detail. I'm just lazy really, and if I can get something produced which will go together like an airfix kit or easier I will be a happy man!

The new Tin 2 HAL which Radley Models markets is made out of resin and includes mouded jumpers http://www.radleymod...southern_region

Xerces Fobe

Great idea for a project - a little late in the day for me now thought. I think 3D printing looks very promising however to the points you have raised I really need some good CAD/CAM drawings as a starting point (assuming you do not have them already). I am not sure to what level of detail you can currently achieve with 3D printing and I have seen some pictures of some reasonable looking models but just the basic shape with some windows details etc. Using Replica Cabs and bodies you can make a decent looking 501 - Gareth Hayes (of Replica) has already made a 501 DMBS which looks very good - While I think it is a great idea maybe it is easier to take the Replica route with the 501 at least

I do however think there is a potential opening for a model of an ex LNWR Oerlikon EMU (or even an LMS Compartment set) to be made this way and there maybe a small market for these units which were very popular with passengers in their day. Grant Anderson of Twickenham club has sources details and has 7mm drawings of a 3 car Oerlikon.

PS. I have a solution to modelling the window bars on 501's and will publish some details on RMweb shortly

Xerces Fobe

I too am very interested in having two or three 501's on my layout, even though I haven't got any 3rd and 4th rail!

I was speaking to both Godfrey and Gareth at Burton yesterday and hadn't realised that Gareth had actually knocked up a very commendable 501 DM bodyshell in about two hours! We went into quite a lengthy discussion about the pro's and con's of actually producing an RTR 501 and when the 57ft motorised chassis becomes available later, the possibility will become more feasable. My impression is that godfrey would like to do it and it would be good for Replica to become a player again in the RTR field. I know he has great passion for accuracy and detail and it looks as though he has passed this on to Gareth. Now that Bachmann have stolen his thunder somewhat with their MLV announcement I'm pretty certain that Replica would be willing to consider a 501 set given a bit of commitment from the trade and support from us NLL modellers. I see Godrey fairly frequently at shows and have known him since he started up as Railwayania/Replica so I have quite a lot of faith in his ability to produce. As he has most of the components required for such a project in various forms of tooling and proposed mode I can see myself that it requires a bit more pressure! I for one will keep on at him (He knows this!) in the hope that he will bite the bullet and do a 501. I have two of Charlie Petty's DC kits 501's to make and the only thing that was putting me off was the window bars. I was going to get Pete Harvey to do me some etches but if their is already a product about to be available then I will more than likely build a trial set up using Replica components and see how it goes- I do not want to spoil my DC kits one just yet!

I hope that others contemplating a 501 share some of my views, their certainly seems to be enough interest around.

Xer

I too am very interested in having two or three 501's on my layout, even though I haven't got any 3rd and 4th rail!

I was speaking to both Godfrey and Gareth at Burton yesterday and hadn't realised that Gareth had actually knocked up a very commendable 501 DM bodyshell in about two hours! We went into quite a lengthy discussion about the pro's and con's of actually producing an RTR 501 and when the 57ft motorised chassis becomes available later, the possibility will become more feasable. My impression is that godfrey would like to do it and it would be good for Replica to become a player again in the RTR field. I know he has great passion for accuracy and detail and it looks as though he has passed this on to Gareth. Now that Bachmann have stolen his thunder somewhat with their MLV announcement I'm pretty certain that Replica would be willing to consider a 501 set given a bit of commitment from the trade and support from us NLL modellers. I see Godrey fairly frequently at shows and have known him since he started up as Railwayania/Replica so I have quite a lot of faith in his ability to produce. As he has most of the components required for such a project in various forms of tooling and proposed mode I can see myself that it requires a bit more pressure! I for one will keep on at him (He knows this!) in the hope that he will bite the bullet and do a 501. I have two of Charlie Petty's DC kits 501's to make and the only thing that was putting me off was the window bars. I was going to get Pete Harvey to do me some etches but if their is already a product about to be available then I will more than likely build a trial set up usiReplica components and see how it goes- I do not want to spoil my DC kits one just yet!

I hope that others contemplating a 501 share some of my views, their certainly seems to be enough interest around.

I have known Godfrey for nearly 30 years and have spoken at length to both him and Gareth about the various options for constructing Class 501's. I am afraid we have to be realistic there is just not the volume of potential sales for these units given their limited area of operation and that it why 4 years ago I started bashing Bachmann subs and Replica components such as cabs. However there is an other option which is to to produce CAD drawings of these units and make it out of brass as Grant Anderson from Twickenham MRC has down for his 7mm Oerlikon which looks really good but it is a lot of work.

My Class 501's are reasonable representations of a Class 501 and I have a solution for the window bars I have had etches made and now I can fit them fairly quickly into a Class 501, They have been made out of nickle silver and can be used with Bachmann , Replica and DC Kits suburbans. I can get more made if you are interested - I will post some photos of the widow bars later today or tomorrow morning.

Xerces Fobe

As promised here ate photos of Class 501’s fitted with my generic nickel – silver window bars. The blue coach is a Bachmann suburban which was the prototype and the green Class 501 is a DC kits Class 501 fitted with Replica windows.

WindowBarsClass501edt.jpg

Class501wbg1.jpg

Class501wbg2.jpg

Xerces Fobe

As promised here ate photos of Class 501’s fitted with my generic nickel – silver window bars. The blue coach is a Bachmann suburban which was the prototype and the green Class 501 is a DC kits Class 501 fitted with Replica windows.

WindowBarsClass501edt.jpg

Class501wbg1.jpg

Class501wbg2.jpg

Xerces Fobe

Hi Nigel

Can you quote me for enough to do two three car sets? Look very good.

I am going to go down the Replica route as I think the glazing fits better. If these turn out OK then I'll dispose of my two DC kits ones and do two more Replica conversions. Just now need to find sometime!

Cheers

To do 2 X 3 car units you will require 96 (3 bar etches) based on 7 doors per side on the DMBS and DTBS and 9 doors per side on the TS plus some spares in case you make any errors.

The bars come in sheets of 300 (3 bar etches) and would work out cheaper for you to buy a complete sheet. I have contacted my supplier to get a quote and will PM it to you hopefully within the next couple of days.

Thanks.

Nigel.

PS I can also give you some tips on how best to construct Class 501's using Replica parts if required

• 5 years later...

Xer

I have known Godfrey for nearly 30 years and have spoken at length to both him and Gareth about the various options for constructing Class 501's. I am afraid we have to be realistic there is just not the volume of potential sales for these units given their limited area of operation and that it why 4 years ago I started bashing Bachmann subs and Replica components such as cabs. However there is an other option which is to to produce CAD drawings of these units and make it out of brass as Grant Anderson from Twickenham MRC has down for his 7mm Oerlikon which looks really good but it is a lot of work.

My Class 501's are reasonable representations of a Class 501 and I have a solution for the window bars I have had etches made and now I can fit them fairly quickly into a Class 501, They have been made out of nickle silver and can be used with Bachmann , Replica and DC Kits suburbans. I can get more made if you are interested - I will post some photos of the widow bars later today or tomorrow morning.

Xerces Fobe

Hello Mate, I  was wondering if you have any of those window bars for Class 501 left for sale. I realise your post is about 6 years old and the chances are probably slim, but I thought I would ask anyway. 

Latest update...

attachicon.gif501.jpg

Excellent work, please don't take this negtively, but from my experience with SketchUp I've found out that it can be extremely easy and yet lacks quite a bit. I'd suggest you first add some thickness to the model and the add the windows? It'll be far more easier.

has anything been done with this, as it is a few years since that image was posted. Reason I ask is that I will be doing a 501, initially for my own HO modelling, but simple to resize. This can then join my Oerlikon and GEC units.

Hello Mate, I was wondering if you have any of those window bars for Class 501 left for sale. I realise your post is about 6 years old and the chances are probably slim, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Xerces it no longer on RMWeb. However I've sure I've seen him post on other forums so it might be worth googling him

Archived