1980s Scottish Loco Headlights

Hi,

I'm looking to source some (preferably working) headlights that were the Inverness based class 26s and Eastfield/Inverness class 37s during the 1980s - in the latter case the circular headlights fitting with a bracket, not the high intensity versions fitted to the refurbished versions.

So far I've struggled to source anyone that supplies these. If anyone could point me in the right direction or provide some advice on making me own that would be hugely appreciated....

Ta,

Dave

I have to say I agree:

post-7083-0-76980500-1307358949_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know it's work in progress and the wrong class, but it is the correct depot and car headlamp principle. These are from a Cararama VW Beetle, and to date I have harmed six of said vehicles equipping my Highland Baby Sulzers.

The good thing about this solution is that the component comes with a separate chrome bezel/ escutcheon, as per the real thing. Also, although mine aren't being lit at this stage, the individual lamps are translucent so would lend themselves to back-illumination.

• Like 1

You don't say what scale you are working in, but A1 did do the non working ones for the 37's, they were subtly different to the ones used on the 26's as the 37's were mounted on a bracket and were much more proud of the front of the loco.

It would be hard to illuminate a pair of headlamps on the Heljan 26 as the optic for the top disc runs right behind where they'd fit. I had a bit of a go by drilling out the apertures and letting in some plastic tube; the tail lamps bled into the headlamps and only worked in reverse :laugh: . I guess an led rewire would be on the cards and ditch those optics that usually fall to bis anyway.

You get 4 clear plastic headlamps with 26121 (26027); I think it's the only Helly 26 that has them in the detail pack (If you're lucky!)

Part 11 it is but Howes don't stock it.

I actually prefer the look of Chards car lamps; after all, I bet they were only Austin car headlamps on the loco's.

DSCF7734.jpg

The 24/1 would be an easier prospect to have working headlamps, by modifying the plastic lighting unit in the Bachmann nose and letting the light from the central disc leds bleed into them

Cheers

Andy

I actually prefer the look of Chards car lamps; after all, I bet they were only Austin car headlamps on the loco's.

Why thank you! They were actually Morris Minor headlamps in reality, but the 1:72 vee-dub is only a fraction of a mm too large in diameter.

Thanks for all your responses.

Sorry I forgot to say modelling in 4mm.

Liking the idea from Chard for my 26s, but definetly need to check how feasible this is with light bleed. The two blue Heljan 26s both came with the plastic headlights, but don't particularly look good.

Thanks 37114 for the suggestion on A1 models. MG Sharp's website does list but on available to order basis.

Gary, sure I've seen a photo of 37027 on Glenuig with headlight 'blazing' - was this an A1 fitting?

There were some interesting variances on location of the headlights, especially on the split box locos, including 37114 with it mounted on the bonnet!

Dave

Liking the idea from Chard for my 26s, but definetly need to check how feasible this is with light bleed. The two blue Heljan 26s both came with the plastic headlights, but don't particularly look good.

The assembly is fiddly (you end up balancing the bevel in the drilled hole), interference fit being critical, and then gluing. The benefit is that you could easily treat the inside cab front locally, with paint most probably, to prevent the bleed.

Don't forget that while these were brighter than simple marker lights, they were nowhere near as intense as the bespoke High Intensity Lights that later became mandatory. So for realism, the entire Heljan wattage needs taming!

Gary, sure I've seen a photo of 37027 on Glenuig with headlight 'blazing' - was this an A1 fitting?

Dave

Hi

the headlights are scratch “made†and are turned out of some clear plastic rod, this has been painted with a thick layer of black paint around the outside. They fit into a small hole in the nose and are light by a LED. Getting the LED in was challenging and I had to counter bore the back of the nose front to make room.

Hope this helps

Gary

post-7480-0-96166400-1307395131_thumb.jpg

• 8 years later...
On 06/06/2011 at 12:18, 'CHARD said:

I have to say I agree:

post-7083-0-76980500-1307358949_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know it's work in progress and the wrong class, but it is the correct depot and car headlamp principle. These are from a Cararama VW Beetle, and to date I have harmed six of said vehicles equipping my Highland Baby Sulzers.

The good thing about this solution is that the component comes with a separate chrome bezel/ escutcheon, as per the real thing. Also, although mine aren't being lit at this stage, the individual lamps are translucent so would lend themselves to back-illumination.

Hi Chard 

Are the headlights you used from the Beetle the type with or without the chrome bezel?

Regards

Dave

8 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Hi Chard 

Are the headlights you used from the Beetle the type with or without the chrome bezel?

Regards

Dave

With the bezel, you can just make it out in the picture.

On 06/06/2011 at 13:28, Andrew F said:

It would be hard to illuminate a pair of headlamps on the Heljan 26 as the optic for the top disc runs right behind where they'd fit. I had a bit of a go by drilling out the apertures and letting in some plastic tube; the tail lamps bled into the headlamps and only worked in reverse :laugh: . I guess an led rewire would be on the cards and ditch those optics that usually fall to bis anyway.

You get 4 clear plastic headlamps with 26121 (26027); I think it's the only Helly 26 that has them in the detail pack (If you're lucky!)

Part 11 it is but Howes don't stock it.

DSCF7734.jpg

The 24/1 would be an easier prospect to have working headlamps, by modifying the plastic lighting unit in the Bachmann nose and letting the light from the central disc leds bleed into them

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andrew

Yes perhaps difficult but it's possible to fit working "Car" type spotlights to HJ Class 26's. The main issue is the lack of clearance due to the light guide for the top marker light.   The 3 locos in the photo all have full LED replacement lighting, with new LED twin spot lights on 26 035.  The spot light housings were made using cut-down/drilled out Peco R15 Nylon ? wagon wheel bearings with slices of Fiber optic cable as lenses (blobs of Araladite as I found out later) being far quicker.  They are lit with 0603 SMD Warm White LED's which just fit inside, using 0403 sized LED's would be easier, but extremely difficult to solder, unless sourced pre-wired with very fine magnet wire. 

The 37 uses a similar arrangement for the spot light wired into the nose circuit boards, or on DCC can be powered via a spare function output for independent control. 

For more details see my WB thread:  The Northern Lights

HTH

Ken

DSC01130.JPG

DSC02213.JPG

Edited by tractor_37260
add text
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

DSC02213.JPG

Hi Ken

Impressive work, the results look first class. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions on the bracketed lights that Inverness based locos received such as the one on 37017 below? Apart from your work above, the best that I have seen are the lights Lee Edmondson supplies and fits but these do'nt appear to have a bracket.

Rob 

On 25/02/2020 at 00:57, tractor_37260 said:

Hi Andrew

Yes perhaps difficult but it's possible to fit working "Car" type spotlights to HJ Class 26's. The main issue is the lack of clearance due to the light guide for the top marker light.   The 3 locos in the photo all have full LED replacement lighting, with new LED twin spot lights on 26 035.  The spot light housings were made using cut-down/drilled out Peco R15 Nylon ? wagon wheel bearings with slices of Fiber optic cable as lenses (blobs of Araladite as I found out later) being far quicker.  They are lit with 0603 SMD Warm White LED's which just fit inside, using 0403 sized LED's would be easier, but extremely difficult to solder, unless sourced pre-wired with very fine magnet wire. 

The 37 uses a similar arrangement for the spot light wired into the nose circuit boards, or on DCC can be powered via a spare function output for independent control. 

For more details see my WB thread:  The Northern Lights

HTH

Ken

DSC01130.JPG

DSC02213.JPG

Hi Ken

Re the class 26 Headlights , there are pre wired 0402 smds available on ebay , the voltage is 2.8-3.4v , would that be suitable for use?

Regards

Dave 

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Hi Ken

Re the class 26 Headlights , there are pre wired 0402 smds available on ebay , the voltage is 2.8-3.4v , would that be suitable for use?

Regards

Dave 

Hi Dave

If you post the eBay link for them, I'll have a look......... 0603 SMD's could also be used, but are a pretty tight fit, but at least it's possible to solder wires to them.

Regards

Ken

On 25/02/2020 at 07:22, young37215 said:

Hi Ken

Impressive work, the results look first class. Do you, or anyone else for that matter, have any suggestions on the bracketed lights that Inverness based locos received such as the one on 37017 below? Apart from your work above, the best that I have seen are the lights Lee Edmondson supplies and fits but these do'nt appear to have a bracket.

Rob 

Hi Rob

The brackets allowed the lamps to be mounted/adjusted, but on a model would be awkward to make and would not really be noticeable especially at normal viewing distance with the lamp ON. 

I just fitted the lamps directly to the noses on 37262/263,  - 262 is still work in progress - hence the masking tape - the glazing just refused to come out ! argh..........

HTH

Ken

DSC02702.JPG

DSC01969.JPG

19 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

These might do ?, the problem being getting it all to fit in the lamp housings, the finer the wires the easier it will be regardless if 0402 or 0603 LED's are used.   Ideally LED's pre-wired with very fine copper enamelled magnet wire are the easiest to use.

As for the voltage/current etc, most led's can be used, Warm White LED's tend to be very bright, so a suitable value resistor must be used to both protect them and reduce their brightness to acceptable levels.  Standard White Led's are too Ice "blue-ish" in light output (like Xenon's) and not suitable to represent early tungsten/halogen bulb fitted lamps. 

2 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

These might do ?, the problem being getting it all to fit in the lamp housings, the finer the wires the easier it will be regardless if 0402 or 0603 LED's are used.   Ideally LED's pre-wired with very fine copper enamelled magnet wire are the easiest to use.

As for the voltage/current etc, most led's can be used, Warm White LED's tend to be very bright, so a suitable value resistor must be used to both protect them and reduce their brightness to acceptable levels.  Standard White Led's are too Ice "blue-ish" in light output (like Xenon's) and not suitable to represent early tungsten/halogen bulb fitted lamps. 

Sounds like i would be better off leaving it to someone that knows what they are doing Ken lol