The Bickley Central

bickybtrains

The hidden sidings make life easier, I can store full sized trains in them.   I have sensors on the track to tell me they are occupied.   All the track was salvaged from my old layouts so it is code 100.   The rest of the layout is code 75.  I like the look of the code 75 stuff.   This layout has been a fun project and since it is easy to get to most stuff it make working on it for a 1/2 hour or 5 hours a pleasure.   I have no duck under, my guest have a lot of room to mingle, it always runs well.   My only sour point is the peco points.  

William 

The hidden sidings make life easier, I can store full sized trains in them.   I have sensors on the track to tell me they are occupied.   All the track was salvaged from my old layouts so it is code 100.   The rest of the layout is code 75.  I like the look of the code 75 stuff.   This layout has been a fun project and since it is easy to get to most stuff it make working on it for a 1/2 hour or 5 hours a pleasure.   I have no duck under, my guest have a lot of room to mingle, it always runs well.   My only sour point is the peco points.  

William 

I forgot about this, I started this project in 2005.   I joked with the wife it was time to rip it all up and start again.  I got that stare from her that put that idea to rest pronto.

I am starting to work on my timetable and operation procedures on the layout.  This is a modified waybill system as used on North American Layouts.  I was wondering if any one has a system that has worked well for them.  For my "waybills" I am using wagon labels that BR use to use.   Most of my goods traffic is to a few industries on the branch.

William

A typical shunting session on the Bickley Central  " Beta Version"

The one thing I do enjoy, besides having trains just run on the layout, is to do a bit of shunting.   I designed the BIckley Central with ths in mind.   Although, I have not run a full time table sequence yet., I have set up a shunting system to use on the branch line.   This  system  is similar to the waybill system used on North American Layouts. 

I will try and show a typical operation session with some pictures.

The branch line from Maryford to the Brewery, Engineering Firm, and the coal drops has been set up so that I can shunt around a few wagons with removable loads While mainline trains run on the mainline.   These wagons are recorded onto a wagon label that has been printed on both sides. (One side full and one side empty )

So here goes a typical pick up branch goods train:

A typical branch goods train entering the industrial area;

post-7118-0-19902100-1421112190.jpg

Put the brake van in siding

post-7118-0-53285400-1421112202.jpg

The wagon labels are placed into little card holders on the fascia of the layout

post-7118-0-21992800-1421112217.jpg

The identity of wagons for  Maryford Siding or beyond is written on the waon labels. 

post-7118-0-02012200-1421112210.jpg

All the wagon labels are then attached to a small clip with the info of the loco, remaining wagons, and brake van.  This will be the consist of the train to Maryford Sidings.

post-7118-0-88739700-1421112227.jpg

At Maryford there is a set of sidings that the Branch Wagons are placed to be picked up by the Up or Down Main LIne Goods train.

Once the main line goods train has done a few rounds around the main line I usually drop of these wagon at Maryford Sidings as empties ready to be picked up by the Branch Goods train at a leter time.

As I said this is a Beta Version and will change over time.

William

• RMweb Gold

I like that system William, it was one I used on my former Union Pacific layout and it did add a lot of interest to the operation of it.  I think one of the biggest differences between modelling the US scene and now modelling BR is that a lot of the layouts modelling US prototypes focussed on providing a "model railway" with lots of on-layout destinations for freight stock, whereas a lot of the BR layouts tend to represent a location that may or may not have many places for freight stock to be spotted.  With the latter, it is harder to incorporate an operating scheme of car cards and waybills, though I am sure that others have done it.  I am looking at some combination of it for my layout when I get to that stage, at the moment I am more focussed on getting some timetables/sequences sorted then I might get down to car cards for the freight workings, but that is some way off.  In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy watching you do it!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, your right about many on-layout destinations on North American Systems.   I look at my layout as a one man operation so many destinations are not a priority for me,  I just thought it would make the layout a little more interesting than just watching the trains go by.   The layout is entertaining in its own way, I enjoy showing it off, and many visitors are non modelers so they get the awe factor.  

William

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A new addition to the BIckley Central Railway.   I had an old Hornby Breakdown Crane sitting in a box for a while.  I knew it was'nt a very good representation of a typical steam crane, but by extending the jib, adding a few details here and there,( using a few reference photos on the web) I think I now have a decent model to show off.

post-7118-0-01116500-1422575070.jpg

Enjoy

William

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The kids had a bunch of fun.  some have seen the layout before others it was the first time.  I always let the kids operate the trains, they get the hang of it pretty quick.  The nice thing about an open house is I get to talk to the parents about how much fun the hobby is.  the good thing about these kids is they are not stuck on video games all day.  Two of the boys love Lego and have made some amazing creations with the stuff. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

According to the forum you posted today.  I follow your layout so I looked but couldn't find a new posting.  An edit perhaps or a system error?

Funny, I notice that quite often on this thread.

I just bumped it.  I have been busy on the layout lately and I am ready to change the era on it I am moving up to the early Blue Grey era.  I havent run my Late 60's early 70's stock for a while.   So the next batch of photos will show the change over.

William

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I have attained planning permission from the powers to be.  A new and improved Bickley Central will be coming.   The plan is to disassemble the layout in the new year, do a  full renovation of my basement.   The Bickley Central will be a two deck design, and a full commitment to DCC.  The basement reno will be a full strip to the concrete walls, new electrical, new walls with better insulation, new ceiling with dimable LED lighting, a new laundry room for the wife, and a new egress window(FIRE ESCAPE), cut through the concrete. The last running of the Bickley Central will be New Years Day 2021.  Then demolition will begin.  I will start a new topic with the full story, with plans.  For your info, and I still use the old imperial system the layout will be 21 feet wide and 15 feet deep. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2