The Bickley Central

bickybtrains

The Bickley Central

Welcome to the Bickley Central, a model railway layout located in the basement of my house in Stratford, Ontario, Canada. The layout measure aprox 15' x 15' and is of a folded dogbone style. Under the main station of Maryford, are storage sidings big enough to store 4 full size trains.

William

Edited by bickybtrains
  • Like 4

Very impressive stuff.

Is the layout finished - are you at the.....

"invite pals round to drink beer and watch trains" stage?

Stuart

Any time is beer time, I have had the guys over, the neighbourhood kids etc.....my wife is fed up with the kids knocking on the door to see if they can come in and play trains.....

William

• Like 1

What radius curves are you using, some of them look quite tight.

Derek

The curves on the mainline are 24" (61 cm) that is the sharpest section. but usually range in the 30" (76 cm) range elsewhere.

in the tunnels. 22' (56 cm)

On the freight only line (around the warehouses) the radius is 18" (46 cm).

I think the radius over the viaduct is close to 36" (92 cm).

The gradient is a rise of three inches (8 cm) in fiffteen feet. (4.5 m).

Most of my passenger trains are 5 coaches long except the HST which is 7 coaches long. The hidden sidings can easily hold a 5 coach train and loco. The station platforms can accomodate the HST. Goods trains can be up to 15 wagons.

The layout is controlled by DC but has been wired with DCC in mind.

William

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for responding, I have not participated in the double headers tour, since I dont think people will drive 40 km out of their way to see my layout. However, the Buffers clubs layout Ardleigh Bitton has been on the tour once. You will see me when you get to the GBTS behind Ardleigh Bitton.

William

The mine is a combination of a Cornerstone mine kit, a few Wills bits, a pola building, plastic girders and a set of white metal wheel castings from a supplier in the states.

Another view of the mine.

IMG_2407.jpg

coalmine7.jpg

Thanks for looking

William

• Like 1

I have lots of fun with the eras on my layout. Right now I am in the process of changing the era to the early 70's. I usually have three eras on the layout Late 60's, early 70's and late 70's. I normaly change the vehicles to later models cars and of course all the rolling stock is changed. I sometimes dauble into the late 50's early 60's. This requires quite a lot of stock which on the Bickley central encoumpases about 50 locomotives, 40 coaches and an assortment of wagons. All either displayed on a display cabinet or stored in an assortment of tool boxes.

126by7.jpg

Here is shot at the MPD

900.jpg

a coal train rounds the curve after it has just crossed the viaduct

031ow5.jpg

Right now I am working on the electrics and updating the control panel. A job that has become quite a project.

Remember this layout is just DC no DCC yet. All the signals are controlled by Heathcoate electrics MAS sequencers and IRDOT modules. On the control panel I will be able to see what the signals are showing.

012.jpg

Thanks for looking

William

Fabulous with tons of detailing skill gone into this, there many different areas that blend well with each other and just love the stunning demolished houses as that must have been a ball ache for all them bricks to be done. Is this N scale ? as per pics some look N and others look HO scale. Either way just pure quality railroading so keep up the great work and have fun enjoying it.

Ken

Fabulous with tons of detailing skill gone into this, there many different areas that blend well with each other and just love the stunning demolished houses as that must have been a ball ache for all them bricks to be done. Is this N scale ? as per pics some look N and others look HO scale. Either way just pure quality railroading so keep up the great work and have fun enjoying it.

Ken

Thanks for your comments, FYI Its all OO Scale.

William

Well the organizer of the Double Headers Show is a good friend of mine I might aim for next years show and see what happens. FYI on June 3rd in Stratford we are having a Railway Heritage Day in which the Buffers Railway Club will have their layout on display. Later in July I am hosting a Platelayers MRC and Buffers MRC at my house and the bIckley Central will be running.

William

• RMweb Premium

I think Baden is about as far west as they've ever gone and not many went that far even for 3 layouts.

William: I think I'm going to miss the new layout again! as we've booked a trip for July.