Selham Railway Station

trainsandco

This is my thread for the Diorama Competition (if I'm allowed to enter!)

Name: Selham Railway Station

Region: Southern

Gauge: OO

Era: Southern Steam/Transition Period

Background: Date opened:1.7.1872Company on opening:London Brighton & South Coast RailwayDate closed to passengers:7.2.1955Date closed completely:6.5.1963Company on closing:British Railways (Southern Region)

This would be the first time I have ever actually modelled anywhere in particular, as most of my work has been freelance (and GWR!!!)

I'll make a 3D computer model to show my idea.

My skills are limited but I will have a play around with scratch building with a bit of wood

selham2.jpg

Selham Station in 1968

selham_map.gif

The location of the station.

I will get the CAD up when it's finished, and I will start on it in the next few weeks :)

T&C

I'll watch this one with interest as it's right up my street.Are you aware that the station is still in existence and (I think) in use as a private residence.Worth a field trip if you live in the south.How much of the station do you intend to model?

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I'll watch this one with interest as it's right up my street.Are you aware that the station is still in existence and (I think) in use as a private residence.Worth a field trip if you live in the south.How much of the station do you intend to model?

Jamie

Selham is still in existance, however sadly in a very bad way and not in use as a residence. I am very fond of these branch lines, being in my local area and will follow this with a good deal of interest.

Fortunately these lines are pretty well documented, being the subject of no less than three Middleton press books, as well as many others. There is quite a good colour picture in the Capital Transport book Southern Branchlines.

Aye, I am aware that it is still in existence, about a year or 2 ago we had a caravan holiday down at Graffam (about 2 miles away from the station) and we went out for a bike ride and found the old railway line and cycled along that. We got as far as the 'Three Moles' Pub (which do very nice a ploughman's lunch), right next to the bridge by Selham station, we saw a sort of drive way going off opposite the pub. We didn't go down it as it looked like a driveway for a house. When I got back home I had a look on Google maps around that area and I found that the old station was just up that driveway....

In regards of how much I am going to model, I am going to model the whole station on the embankment that its on, the bridge that I saw (well the side walls of it!) and the 3 moles pub next to the road and bridge. Inside the pub there were some pictures of the road showing the bridge and the pub (and a fox hunting party) and I got a picture of that on my phone. I'll get those pictures to show uploaded.

This is the station in 2008

Selham_Railway_Station.jpg

Google Street View of the area - The Bridge walls are just by the orange cone.

Google Satelitte View of the area - The small building by the opening on the left is the station and the building just by the 'A' is the pub

Ben

Shame to see the station in that state,at least Petworth and Fittleworth are still in good condition.Went to the Three Moles back in the King and Barnes days,nice pub as I remember.Unfortunately I never walked up to view the station as I (wrongly) assumed someone lived there.Maybe one day,someone will do it justice.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Google Satelitte View of the area[/url] - The small building by the opening on the left is the station and the building just by the 'A' is the pub

Thanks for posting those links. I always enjoy zooming back out on the satellite image and watching the route of a former railway reveal itself, as here. No prizes for guessing why Petworth & Selham stations didn't enjoy more business in the motor-car era!

EDIT In 1967, not long after the line was lifted, I walked from Hardham Junction as far as Midhurst tunnel. Hardham AHB was operational, but the old signalbox - last of the Brighton "High" design - was still standing. Typically for those days - no camera!

Today I started to put some more thought into the baseboard, and I have just realised that I may have over shot that with my design!

I can still do what I wanted to do, but it will be trimmed down a bit.

The back of the pub will be right up against the side of the whole scene, then the railway will be prototypical about 10 scale meters away or so and the bridge going over the road in the same area. The station on the other hand will have to be moved quite a bit closer to the bridge, and the platform will be cut off at the end of the scene.

Regarding the motive power that I will have on show on it, it will simplely be a Dapol Schools Class (plastic kit) and some wagons behind it (also kit built)

Regards

T&C

I was just having a look for some more pics of the station, and I found some taken in april 2010

and it looks since 2008, it has been cleared up a bit! and it looks like it might, just might still be a private residence? although looking at the window on the extreme right on the 2nd picture, it might not!

Selham 1

Selham 2

T&C

• 3 weeks later...

apologies for the lack of updates, as I have been unable to start yet, the first project is finding somewhere to have the baseboard, as I'm either going to have to tidy some of my room or clear part of my layout. which could prove interesting....

Ben

I HAVE STARTED!

I have made a baseboard out of some card (not ideal, but its all I've got) I'm making a start on the road (The 'dip' under the bridge to be precise) I will also have a go att the embankments and the raised area of which the pub will sit. The way I'm going to make the embankments is going to be simple, toilet roll tubes stuffed with newspaper covered in Mod Rock or Plaster (except the top which would be bare wood/card) then all painted a mud colour then the grass (hanging basket liner) will be put on to cover the mud with some still seeping through. I'm not sure how far I'm going to get with it today I have about 3 hour free still today, so hopefully I'll get to the embankments and maybe the raised area for the pub. Anyhoo...time will see!

Ben

Here are some pictures of what I achieved yesterday (not much, asa I got sidetracked by CSI :banghead: ) The loco currently on it was the only one I had to hand and its a modifed Dapol Prairie tank and its become GWR 9351, as at the WSR :)

264286_10150247918391593_602981592_7573835_4186553_n.jpg

263815_10150247918466593_602981592_7573838_4024645_n.jpg

270196_10150247918931593_602981592_7573851_5864675_n.jpg

Thanks for Looking

T&C

After having a read of the book 'Scenic Modelling' by Peter Marriott I have changed my idea of how I'm going to make the embankments instead of a card structure to hold the track up I'm using some of the Woodland Scenics Risers, and then for the sides of the embankment shredded paper cover in Plaster Impregnated cloth.

Regarding the bridge I am about to get some Will Brick Arch Overlays, so I get the distance of the 2 sets of risers correct, and also just so I cancontinue to be working on it,

I have some new pictures of it, and will post them later on today :)

T&C

268088_10150251342646593_602981592_7610463_7992476_n.jpg

Heres the new picture! Sorry, thats it! The white blocks will be glued down when the distance is verified with the wills arches that are currently in the post, when they arrive I will start with the bridge which can then lead onto embankments and track!

Ben

Archived