Mr Brunel's Hat - Sketches (and a question or two)

Having completed the Earl of Devon (and learning a lot on the way), I thought that I'd better start work on the pub for my layout...

The requirements for the prototype are 1) it should sit comfortably next to the Georgian Terrace and 2) should be a rather elaborate "Gin Palace". A recent trip to London gave me the perfect prototype: The Old Blue Last in Shoreditch, now a music venue (a pub-club thingy???) it was built in 1700 and rebuilt in 1876. I took quite a few pictures on my mobile - which turned out quite well, here are two views:

post-123-0-27194800-1307418146_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-38290400-1307418185_thumb.jpg

Rummaging around the internet found me a photo of the pub in the 1930s (see: http://deadpubs.co.u...dBlueLast.shtml), which gave me the impetus to start work on the pub, renamed "Mr Brunel's Hat" for my layout.

Staring from a photo of a passer-by who obligingly posed in a doorway of the Old Blue Last (and told me how tall he was) and using photomanipulation, I was able to get the dimensions needed to prepare my first working sketch. Unfortunately, the frontage is too large to fit on one sheet, so I had to split it - to join up after printout. The following is the first working sketch, and whilst there are some tweaks to be made, it is fairly accurate and - quite unusually it would seem, although the windows on the first and second floor are aligned, these are not entirely aligned with the ground floor windows. The building has a Mansard roof

post-123-0-82982300-1307418635_thumb.jpg

Planned construction is a 60thou shell, which after being bent into the correct shape (a mix between a V shape and a U shape), will have the stucco banding and brick cladding afixed to it. I also plan to commision some etches for the windows and fancy grillwork that is above the doors and windows and, if I can master the technique, I will use glass microscope slide mounting slips for glazing. It goes without saying that there will be an detailed and illuminated interior.

Now the questions:

1) Does anyone know in what colours such a pub would be painted in the 1930s? (the photo in the link above suggests all over cream or white, but is this an artefact of the sepia toning?)

2) Does anyone have a good view of the roof of the Old Blue Last from above. I have pictures from Google maps (satellite view) but the resolution isn't great, just good enough to obtain rough dimensions and shape

My thanks

F

Part of the answer to question 1 would, I think, be "in Truman Hanbury Buxton's house colours". This company ended up as part of Watney's so I can understand you looking back to happier times! I'm afraid I don't know what those colours were ...

Chris

Does anyone know in what colours such a pub would be painted in the 1930s?

In a word, no, but there are a few clips on YouTube of London in the 1920s and 1930s which may tell you what you need to know. There was a series on TV last year with that irritating Cruikshank bloke presenting a colour travelogue from the 1930s as well; that may be helpful. I'm sure someone else will remember the name. One thing is for sure, it would be dirty.

Ambitious project this; I am looking forward to watching progress. Like the name, too.

Bing Bird's Eye is often better than Google for things that can't be seen from the street. Oblique views available from four different directions, or turn off oblique for a conventional straight-down view which is usually similar in quality to Google's.

Thanks, a much more useful set of views. It doesn't completely remove the guesswork, but certainly minimises it.

Now for the colours..... I'll look at the YouTube videos, thanks (or do I improvise with "artistic licence")

F

• RMweb Gold

I think it unlikely anyone is going to challenge whatever colour scheme you choose. However, should someone on here decide to do so, you are within your rights to ask why the *#?! they didn't pipe up with their knowledge at the development stage!

Flavio, a search on "images" on Google brings up virtually views of the pub from one side to the other, but they all seem relatively recent with the stucco part in black - however a seach in "images" on Bing threw up this - I don't know if it helps with the "House Colours"

http://deadpubs.co.u...tch/OldBlu8.jpg

click on the picture for a larger version - and for a closer view of the sign on the top

http://www.viceland.com/pub/images/obl_sign_2.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think it unlikely anyone is going to challenge whatever colour scheme you choose. However, should someone on here decide to do so, you are within your rights to ask why the *#?! they didn't pipe up with their knowledge at the development stage!

Who can resist a challenge like that? Seek and ye shall find so here you go Flavio, the ones you are interested in are Truman or Truman Hanbury etc

http://www.breweryhistory.com/Defunct/LondonEast.htm

Thanks, everyone.

I now have enough information to start cutting plastic this weekend :D

However, I have been placed on modelling probation by SWMBO (as I had put in [in her eyes] too many hours in finishing CRSB for ExpoEM), so it means I will only be able to do a little here, a little there.... Which is probably good as it will allow for evrything to set rock hard between sessions (particulary important when forming the curve) given that I tend to rush ahead at times

One other thing, I have decided to be a lazy b****r and cast the window surrounds, decorative frieze (right name?) and decorative panels in resin. This way I only have to build one good example of each (and if asked nicely, I might "share" my castings).

All being well, photos of basic cut-out shell by end of month

F

Archived