Any Question Answered

Pixie

Microscope cover slides.

There is an article pointing to an item on their forum in the latest Model Railroad Hobbyist about cover slides to model glass for cab windows etc: https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/modeling-windows-with-real-glass-12698690

Ebay search terms are given as 'microscope slide cover slips' or 'micro cover glasses'.  However, there seems to be a huge range and variety.  I'm pretty sure some 2mmFS modellers have mentioned using these.  Any advice on size/thickness etc to get please?

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Simon D. said:

Microscope cover slides.

There is an article pointing to an item on their forum in the latest Model Railroad Hobbyist about cover slides to model glass for cab windows etc: https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/modeling-windows-with-real-glass-12698690

Ebay search terms are given as 'microscope slide cover slips' or 'micro cover glasses'.  However, there seems to be a huge range and variety.  I'm pretty sure some 2mmFS modellers have mentioned using these.  Any advice on size/thickness etc to get please?

easy to obtain as a example slides   0.13 to 0.17 thick

however a b*gger to cut

Edited by nick_bastable
pps

• RMweb Gold

somewhere I have some glass slips from CPL intended for 0 ngauge but included a cutter well actually a stick you scrore the class with then it can be snapped. I see Squires do a diamond head glass cutter whether that is fine enough I dont know.  A diamond stylus from a record player could also be an option.   

Ordinary steel shouldn't score the glass but tool steel can . Proper diamond scribes seem rather expensive but a tool steel scriber may be suitable.

Don 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm making my first attempt to re-wheel a loco, having bought a brand new Farish Class 24.  The instructions in the Association's "Getting Started..." handbook are pretty clear, but I've fallen at the first hurdle.  I think I've found the clip on the cosmetic bogie frame, but no amount of pressure and twisting seems to be budging it.  

image.png.3257f5be4eebb50704bf87d31cf4c96b.png

As you can see, I'm already starting to chew this up.  I'm pressing it in the direction of the red arrow, while trying to lift in the direction of the blue arrow.  Before I mess it up completely, has anyone done this recently, and advise on what I should actually be doing?

Cheers, Richard.

Edited by Geordie Exile
Typo

12 minutes ago, Geordie Exile said:

Hi All

I'm making my first attempt to re-wheel a loco, having bought a brand new Farish Class 24.  The instructions in the Association's "Getting Started..." handbook are pretty clear, but I've fallen at the first hurdle.  I think I've found the clip on the cosmetic bogie frame, but no amount of pressure and twisting seems to be budging it.  

image.png.3257f5be4eebb50704bf87d31cf4c96b.png

As you can see, I'm already starting to chew this up.  I'm pressing it in the direction of the red arrow, while trying to lift in the direction of the blue arrow.  Before I it up completely, has anyone done this recently, and advise on what I should actually be doing?

Cheers, Richard.

Pull the whole bogie out of the chassis, the lever goes into the gap at the top which is inaccessible while it's in the chassis 

Edited by tom s

20240110_130521.jpg?ex=65b10b29&is=659e9

The top of the assembly is angled so just pulling it down by the sideframes will unclip it from the chassis, and nothing is hardwired between the two

Edited by tom s
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tom s said:

20240110_130521.jpg?ex=65b10b29&is=659e9

The top of the assembly is angled so just pulling it down by the sideframes will unclip it from the chassis, and nothing is hardwired between the two

Thanks, Tom. I guess the design has changed since (my version of) Getting Started was published. I'll give that approach a go.

Update: @tom s It worked! It took quite a terrifying amount of tugging to remove the bogies, but I've got my first 2mmFS loco going backwards and forwards on my (appallingly laid) test track. Thank you! R.

Edited by Geordie Exile
Edited for update
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

In the absence of any better places to ask how long does it take the 2mm shops to respond? I placed a track order about a week ago and heard nothing. Its not that I need it in a rush just I want to know at least they have the order and it will come at some point, I have heard nothing back.

3 hours ago, damian said:

In the absence of any better places to ask how long does it take the 2mm shops to respond? I placed a track order about a week ago and heard nothing. Its not that I need it in a rush just I want to know at least they have the order and it will come at some point, I have heard nothing back.

Same here.  I emailed an order for sleepers over a week ago to be paid for by Paypal. I received an email acknowledging receipt and stating that my order would be processed,  but since then,  nothing.    I've tried emailing with no response and I resent the order today to see what happens.

Jim.

I placed my first 2 orders on thursday. Shop 1 posted a reply saying they will process it asap a few days ago, shop 3 sent the paypal invoice yesterday night for the money. Just to compare with others.

Please bear in mind that while a shopkeeper might be able to acknowledge receipt of your order, they might not be able to fulfil it straightway due to other commitments. I would say that a turnaround time of 7-10 days is not unreasonable.

All of the shopkeepers and most everyone who keep the Association going are volunteers. I'm sure you will all hear from Bill in the fairly near future - he's not been in touch to say there are issues.

Tony Simms

Sales Officer

Edited by Yorkshire Square
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tom s said:

Aye, appreciate the work of the volunteers and no trouble with the timeframes, just a newcomer getting up to speed with how the system works.

these questions are best aired on the VAG

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm mulling over how best to combine a lever for wire-in-tube turnout operation with a polarity switch for the frog. Before I reinvent the wheel, does such a thing already exist somewhere, or does someone have a working design they'd be willing to share?

Cheers, Richard.

All mine have a projection on the crank at the turnout end which operates the arm of a microswitch.  See centre right in this photo.

Upendsignallinks.JPG.f9c8be15c304ab7089079d060f3db7d5.JPG(The other crank operates a catch point, so no crossing to change)

Alternatively you could have the microswitch at the lever end, but that involves longer wiring runs.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Geordie Exile said:

I'm mulling over how best to combine a lever for wire-in-tube turnout operation with a polarity switch for the frog. Before I reinvent the wheel, does such a thing already exist somewhere, or does someone have a working design they'd be willing to share?

Cheers, Richard.

Hi,

I used a hacked servo (there’s a description on here somewhere) but with a DPDT switch instead of a DPST one. One side of the switch changes the crossing polarity at the same time as the turnout is changed via the panel switch. I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to work well. I’ll try to find the description if you are interested.

See my posts of 9th and 23rd March 2023 in the ‘what’s on my workbench’ topic.

Nigel Hunt 

Edited by Nig H
Update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are people using for primer on etched kits etc, top coat would be enamel.

ive tried an aerosol from my car resto collection, but I think the spray is a bit course for models. I seem to recal a discussion about certain aerosol brands, but not sure where. I could use my airbrush, but again not sure who’s paint.

0FA98842-B2F3-4097-A69F-F06A97F7CD97.jpeg

Edited by Velocemitch